Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
They are 6.49 for 100 in Holland And Barret. Sometimes they do them cheaper if they have an offer on. You probobly already knew that. Not very helpful am I :rofl
Thanks Elliebee I will look at H&B
llindabrad, Acidophilus capsules contain the good bacteria which help to protect the gut from bad bacteria.
For the last few years my wife and I have been taking them a month before we go and all the time during our holiday along with a few other things we have since never had a dose of delly belly or such symtems.
I am not saying they work for everyone but for us they have been a godsend.

tush
Hubby and I also take them and have never had an upset tummy. They are great to take if you are taking Doxycycline for Malaria too :tup
are they the same tabs we get out here? I will check the name as we buy some sort of good bacteria capsules here at the local chemist
chilly
I have got mine but I travel a week tomorrow :yikes , have I left it too late to start taking them? I have also got Lysine to prevent any cold sore flare ups. I was advised at H & B to take vitamin C to aid absorbtion (but can't remember which of these it was to help absorb - :duh ) Oh well, think I will start them today :D (I HATE taking ANY tablets). Fizz
I have also got Lysine to prevent any cold sore flare ups

fizzy2 there is only one way to stop cold sores and that is to take Aciclovir tablets.These are available at all chemists for a stupid price,compared to the UK.
If you suffer badly take a long course of tablets,prior to going, and at the first sign of something hit them hard.Tablets are available up to 800mg,I half them and take them as rquired,there are no side effects.

My doctor at home just laughs at the price I pay, he can't afford to prescibe them to me.

I have suffered for years,especially in the sun, but no longer, just keep taking the pills.

Any further advice be quick I'm off in the morning. :sun2 :sun2
I forgot to mention Aldi Supermarkets are doing a line of Pro-biotics.You can get yogurts,breakfast drinks and those little bottles like Yakult.

They are all at a very reasonable price. My o/h and I have been taken them for a few weeks so we will see if they help.

Its also a very tasty range of products.I better tell you the name, stupid me,OPTIFIT.

:tup :tup
I took Acidophilus just for 1 week before going on holiday and while I was there,so Fizzy start taking them now!
They really help and are recommended for overseas travel.
Thanks for the replies, I don't suffer from cold sores normally but had a really bad one this year that became infected and ever since then, when I feel run down I get that dreaded tingling. As I don't want to risk another one I thought I would give Lysine a try. Lets hope it works. I have started taking them and the acidophilus so I'm hoping all angles are now covered :)
Hi when i was younger we had a , Acidophilus but it died :rofl :rofl
Hi Chilly;
The ones I have had from Goa just don't have the amount of bacterias as the one we get at home however I am sure they are bound to help, a little is better than nothing,
Fizzy the first time I took them I didnt start until the day before our hols but they still had effect I take them well before now just because it makes me feel more confident I'm not going to get the galloping gut rot.

tush
Irishman, I thought acidophilus sounded like an STD :que :rofl

I have stopped taking everything at the mo, had the DR. out today and I have bronchitis - god I feel rough. I want the tablets he's prescibed far more than the others at the moment (and thats coming from someone who hates taking anything). Please God I will be okay for Saturday. Fizz
What a load of complete tosh.
A balanced healthy diet is all that is required for a healthy gut with it's full compliment of healthy bacteria.

Acidophilus is often sold in health stores in pill or powder form as a nutritional supplement. A part of the claims in favour of such treatment refer to attaining a better digestion thanks to a recovered normal intestinal flora, the ensuing reduction of constipation, while others indicate a link between L. acidophilus and a possible decrease in the incidence of certain diseases, including yeast infections in the upper digestive tract (especially those caused by Candida albicans), other gastrointestinal disorders, and a weakened immune system. However, despite popular belief, most researchers agree that the present knowledge on the nutritional benefits of taking L. acidophilus supplements is inconsistent and inconclusive, and that further study is needed before substantiating many of these claims.
Fizzy 2. Sorry to hear you are not well. Hope you are ok for Saturday. Keep taking the tablets. I think knowing i am going to Goa would bring about a sudden recovery!! :sun2
Well Max you feel free to call it what you will but I and many more have had far better holidays by taking these capsules and not suffering the galloping gut rot.
The proof of the pudding is in the taking and since we started taking them three years ago we haven't suffered one attack of the runs I am no doctor and do not profess to know about guts and digestive systems like you do but I do know what works for me and my wife
Oh and by the way we do have a very healthy diet.

Tush
I do not profess to know anything - I gave you a quote from people who do know. :que

In my opinion it's tosh - 'cos I have never used them in 10 years and I've never had any problems.
I am very careful about where I eat though.
I was advised to take them before my trip to Egypt by my Doctor. :que
I was advised to take them before my trip to Egypt by my Doctor

Doctors used to prescribe leeches. :yikes

Your doctor obviously believes the hype.
My doctor says "the only time you might need probiotics is after a course of anti-biotics, in a normal healthy gut - it produces all the flora it needs without any help."

If you read the quotation again - it says that " present knowledge is inconsistent and inconclusive."

No probiotic is going to help you, if your food has been prepared by someone with dirty hands - it's anti-biotics you need. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.