Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Pat
Will this be in your new motorhome?
How many weeks are you going to be on the road? Where in Italy are you heading for?
What you are planning is one very extensive road trip, covering a huge amount of miles. If you have a lot of time it's doable but for just a couple of weeks IMHO it's far too many miles to cover.
UK to Prague is easy driving, free motorways most of the way. Munich to Prague is a long drive. It's a few years since I was in Czech Republic so I can't say much about the roads but in Austria if you use motorways you will have to pay for a vignette to use them. Depending on where you are heading for in Italy you may have to drive through Slovenia, I have never been there so don't know much about the country, but in Italy you will have to pay for each stretch of motorway you use. Side roads are often congested and narrow.
Is it safe? well is anywhere really safe. Germany and Austria are probably the two countries where there is not a lot crime, but they are certainly not crime free. . Italy and the old eastern European countries do have a reputation for crime but in any country you should always be aware of what you are doing and take the usual precautions.
I wouldn't have any problems driving to any of the places you mention, but not all on the same trip.
Judith
Pat, that's an awful lot of driving, especially assuming that you are starting off from the UK? As Judith says, an awful lot depends on how long you are allowing for the trip - if this is something that you are going to be spreading voer a whole summer then great but if it's just a couple of weeks then you'll spend most of your time on the road and very little time actually enjoying the places you mention.

If Italy is your ultimate destination and assuming that you don't want to just turn back as soon as you arrive then I'd suggest at the very least, leaving Prague and Vienna for another time. Which ferry crossing are you planning to use? Crossing into either France or Belgium before heading for Heidelberg, Munich and then via Innsbruck and the Tyrol region of Austria into Italy is a much more 'doable' itinerary, though still not one I'd want to do in just a couple of weeks, and you could always head the quickest way home via France from Italy.

As Judith says, I wouldn't have any safety fears about driving though any of the places you mention, including Slovenia if you were wanting to enter Italy via Trieste but it is an awful long way. I have travelled by road from Zeebrugge via Germany, Austria, northern Italy and into Slovenia and the road conditions are good throughout but it's a very long drive without adding in a detour to Prague and Vienna. From the Channel to Slovenia it was over 36 hrs continuous driving via the shortest route with nothing more than quick meal breaks - assuming that you want to make at least overnight stop on the way to Heidelberg and also spend some a few days in each of the places you mention then you are probably looking at a minimum of three weeks for the return trip and a lot of motorway driving between stops. And that's not really giving you much time in Italy either.

SM
Thanks very much for the replies, I am planning a trip lasting at least 4 weeks maybe 5 weeks.

I saw somewhere that Prague was not good for motorhomes fines clamped vehicles etc

I am open to suggestions regarding routes ?
In 5 weeks it's do-able but you won't get much time at the terminus of your trip before it's time to come home You may find Italy camping is quite expensive especially around big tourist areas (Venice / Pisa) Germany is cheaper but if you do go through Switzerland be aware you have to buy a Vignette (road tax) for the motorway on arrival .

but try to make sure once you are out of Europe into the Eastern block areas stick to secure campsites for stop over nights not motorway services
far too many "Gypsies" doing the gas 'em rob 'em techniques and they have gone along the coast to Italy, Southern France and Spain now

Don't let this last bit put you off just be aware these people think because we are English we have loadsa money
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.