Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi

We currently only have one review HERE.
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so via the link above.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Stayed around this hotel a couple of years back. You are talking about a twenty minute walk to the sky train station at Saphin Taksin. You could always catch the Choa Phraya Express boats down to Saphin Taksin to save yourself a hike - crowded but fun. From Saphin Taksin you can get to loads of places including the weekend market. At some of the Skytrain stations you can interchange with the underground giving you further choices.

As for restaurants in the vicinity...there are a few on the river at River City complex, also a pizza restaurant nearby.
Thanks for your reply. Just wondering how long would the boat journey take? My son doesn't travel too well on water!
Is the boat the best way to reach the Grand palace too?
I'm not the greatest on boats either but these journeys are on the river so not as bad as the sea. Sheraton to Saphin Taksin probably about 5 mins max. You can also use the Express boat to get to the Grand Palace as well.

Of course all this can be done by taxi as well, if you can get a taxi to use the meter they are cheap. You could always get the hotel concierge to arrange this for you.
Thanks for that. Will probably risk the boat I think rather than the taxi. Have been to bangkok before but it was way back in 1993 and of course we didn't have the kids then. I'm expecting it to be quite different than the last time we were there.
are your kids happy to try Thai food? There are some great restaurants round about if they are! Not too sure about non Thai food ones though as we don't have kids!
Yes they will have Thai food, we have taken them to a local Thai restaurant here recently which they liked. Can you recommend a dish which is not too hot? And which restaurant would you recommend we try?
nearby you have Harmonique, Tongue Thai- with Tongue Thai you ask you how hot you want any dish. Good dishes would be satays, fish cakes, minced fish on sugar cane. Be wary of the salads- they can be very hot!!!!! I'm sure I'll think of others. Your own hotel may be good.
Thanks for that, let me know if you think of others. Would the hotel be a lot more expensive do you think?
yes- hotels are a lot more expensive than local restaurants, I'm afraid.
We stayed at the Sheraton Orchid with two girls aged 8 and 11, we eat in the hotel and we also went to the China House restaurant which is a little house attached to the Oriental Hotel next door, absolutely fantastic food, very nice setting and not too expensive. Although we thought it would be when we arrived. A great experience.
As Fiona says hotels are expensive...but still reasonable by Western standards given the quality of the property you will be staying in and its prime location.

I remember looking in Harmonique, but we had gone out late in the evening and the place was shutting. Good bit of planning on my part.
Head across the river to Yok Yor. Thai food / seafood by the river. Very good, popular with locals and far cheaper than the touristy restaurants around the Sheraton.

Yok Yor have, or used to have when I lived nearby, a boat that will pick people up from riverside hotels nearby.
they still do macfarang. so its worth a go when we go back then!
Stayed in the Sheraton about 5 years ago- lovely hotel - all rooms have views over the river. Didn't eat in the hotel went to the river city shopping centre next door, althought there was not much there can remember having noodles in a small restaurant. The Hotel was expensive- 3 small cans of Singha beer at the pool cost £12. Bangkok is a wonderful city.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.