Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I'd just like to say that Santorini was breathtaking and we had a great holiday there but I think they need to look elsewhere if they want a livelyish resort. We went to Kamari because we were told that it was the liveliest place on Santorini. Although we weren't looking to club as we're in our 40's it came nowhere near lively (very laid back) even though we were there during 2 weeks in August. The sole reason we've ruled out going back there is that the evenings were too quiet for even us 40 somethings.

we've also been to Kassiopi (Corfu) which we loved. Enough to do day and night (though not a large resort). Only problem no good beaches so to speak but a lovely harbour where you could take boat trips from.

Kardamena Kos, I'd say was the liveliest of the Greek resorts we've been to. Has a decent beach with watersports.

Argassi (Zante). Again a busy resort but not much about the beach. Sorry if this isn't much help.
Hi Shirley.

They are 40 something but they like quite lively nightlife (their all time fav place is Protaras/Pernera. (I'm her younger Sister but my Husband & I like a much quieter resort, LOL).

Anyway the great beach is the MOST important bit.

Think Fig Tree Bay or Nissi Beach in Cyprus, Ag Nik in Crete or Olu Deniz or Patara in Turkey. I think those three are great.
Magaluf also has a great beach, but that's all I like about it!!!LOL.

So resort nightlife is second to the beach. I was thinking of suggesting Zante to her, I've never been there but there's a picture of that famous beach that looks so good.

Which of your recommendations has the best beaches? Oh & if possible a shallow sea that shelves really gently, that you can walk really far out.

Thank you
Kim
Hi Kim. Can't say that any of the Greek resorts I've been to fit the bill for a great beach. We're not really beach people as we tend to stay mostly around the pool. However, we usually visit the beach a couple of times during our holiday. When we book our holiday one of the first things we look for is a decent size pool with quite a large sun terrace, along with livelyish nightlife.

If their main concern is the beach, there is a thread here somewhere recommending the best beaches in Greece. Try taking a look and take it from there. Cheers!
Thanks Shirley

I did see that thread, problem is with these best beaches is none of them are in lively resorts, except for one that was in Zante-laganas most of them are in smaller quiter places.

She is (very) fussy about the accomadation as well. She wants the whole package great beach, pool, resort & hotel.

I was hoping someone would recommend quality accomadation on a great beach with a great pool in a nice resort.

There are places like that out there, I've stayed in them :D
Just looking for somewhere new like this.

Thanks again
Kim
If you want lively and a reasonable beach then look at Malia on Crete
you will also get English beer and English food if thats your thing

wizard
I appreciate that your sister wants a livelyish holiday but Laganas and Malia are full of 18-30 holiday people in August (or so I've heard). I think you'll be hard pressed to find the whole package. As you say the best beaches are in quieter resorts. Let us know if you find somewhere up to spec.
Shirley
Thank you both.

Personally I don't go for the Brits abroads type places, but my sister is more conservative with food & likes a couple of drinks in a lively bar in the evening.

I like to try different foods, hardly drink at all & go to bed early enough to be up bright eyed & bushy tailed in the morning.

We are very different.

BUT we both love fab beaches, I think it's easier for me to find pretty spots because I don't mind about evening entertainment or rather lack of!!!

She's been to Stalis which is just down the road from Malia (Stalis is much more laid back, my Husband & I enjoyed Stalis!!). But the Malia part of the beach is wider.

I think I have given up helping her look, as what shes after doesn't seem to be out there!!
I think she will have to compromise on some part of it.

Kim
The San Lorenzo village in Lassi is superb, and the beaches in Lassi are good. i stayed there for 2 weeks in september. My favourite place has to be the beach in Protaras it is one of the best i have seen, and i have been to the caribeean a few times.
Hi there

we were in Poros in the summer and found it to be relatively lively. Some great cocktail bars, trendy pre club bars, quieter cafe bars and an excellent night club. All of this going on in a fab water front/ marina type location. My hubby nd I had a brilliant time people watching - all the luxury yachts with their servants and caterers aboard. (Sheer escapism)Wonderful restraunts and freindly people.

If its pools she's after she could take a taxi - 2euros up to Posidon day pool, which had a lovely taverna, comfy sunbeds, great taverna and the most amazing panoramic views over the saronic gulf.

A couple of really classy hotels "google" Poros image hotel (boutique type hotel) and Sirene Hotel. there are also some good mid priced hotels e.g the Saga apartments have a very good reputation.

Beaches well............ no gorgeous expanse of white sand i'm afraid in Poros. Canali beach and Askeli beach are quite good tho'.

Your' sis should give it a bash (Poros) each to their own I know but if brits abroad isn't really her seen I'm positive she'd love it.

karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.