Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Advice on Oslo
11 Posts
Hi
I went to Oslo about 18 years ago, and I remember it as a lovely city, very clean, with very friendly locals. Even then, the prices were outrageous, about £5 for a pint of local beer!! I stayed in the Hotel Nobel in the city centre, which was a really nice hotel, central to everything. If you go in the summertime it doesn't really get dark at night, sort of twilight for about an hour, then broad daylight again, weird. Sorry the info is way out of date, but I would return to Oslo again, once I've saved up for another pint of beer. :D
I went there while I was in the army, about 15 years ago, very expensive, very cold!!
Hi Kath

I'm researching an Oslo trip at the moment too. Came across this website:- http://www.visitoslo.com/indexe/ which has been quite usefull.

:D
Hi Kath...What do you wish to know.

We were there fro a few days in May this year (2005) and we loved it. It was part of a self driven tour around the Southern half.
Sure..Its expensive but so is the rest of Norway. Hotels are relatively expensive also..around £130 per night for 2 but we stayed in a B+B that we found off the Internet for about £60 which was fine.

Because its SO expensive it is also so special. The Norweigans are very nice people, extremely proud of their country...bare in mind that its been voted the best, most prosperous country in the world for the 5th year running...and its obvious to see when you go there.

Oslo has tons to see and do and the long main high street running down from the Palace is a great place to shop. Its full of fine, but expensive dining and the waterfront is very modern and cosmopolitan. There is also the Castle nearby and boat rides across the bay to some amazing Mueseums...including the largest Viking Ship exhibit in the world.

It might be an expensive few days away but trust me..well worth it. A trip you won't forget.
We arrived by car from Sweden (I was playing at festival). It was a rather wet Sunday afternoon, and we found somewhere to park (free on Sundays) by the City Hall.

First thing to do was get a drink & cake (we had our 5 & 7 year olds with us), and there was a convenient cafe run by an indian religious group headed up by a guy with a flute - however, it did do very good coffee & danish pastries.

Next was just round the corner to the Tourist Information office, and having queued up, were told by the frankly bemused chap that there was nothing really to do at 4pm on a Sunday, other than walk in the parks (in the rain).

So we went & got in the queue for the ferry we were booked on to Denmark. We can strongly recommend the Stena ferry - overnight, nice modern cabins, good food (veggie lasagne, but quite innovative & interesting - it had tofu in it!) in the top restaurant (Maxims & not badly priced). Plus the joy of a cruise down very gentle waters of the Oslo fjord until long after you're in bed.

Oslo had some interesting looking museums, including one of childres books - we'd have loved to go there, but we'd left Sweden as early as we could in the morning. Maybe we'll visit again one day.

Mark
If this is still an option to visit Oslo, feel free to ask questions. I`m Norwegian, but I live further north in Norway. I`ve been plenty of times in Oslo though.
I've just got back from Oslo so if anyone wants to ask any questions just let me know and I'll try and help. :D
hello has anyone been to oslo?my husband and i are going on a ryan air on 24/26th march for the w/nd any advice were staying@the continental hotel thank you in advance for reports take care.x.
I've merged your post with a similar topic on Oslo so you may find some information in earlier posts.

luci :wave
Hi Mark and Brenda

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, mad busy!

Firstly, my advise may be a little off, as we were a a family group of 2 adults and 1 child! So not much chance to sample the nightlife!

For your Friday night, your hotel seems to be very well located for Karl Johann Street for a good selection of restaurants, including TGIF's, for the Friday night.

For Saturday, I'd recommend taking the metro from Stortinget to Frognesteren on Line 1. It's the end of the line and the top of the mountain. Fabulous scenery and snowy walkways to sign posted 'Frognesteren Res' which will take you to a lovely restaurant/cafe with great views. We hired toboggans (70 NOK -about GBP7.00) each for a full day's rental and a terrific 2km toboggan run. When you get to the bottom you just jump the metro back to the top again!

Also worth a visit is the National Gallery, situated just off Karl Johann Street, free entrance and a chance to see Edvard Munch's 'The Scream'.!

Acker Brigge is also worth a visit, you can take ferries from that point to the Viking Museum or just enjoy the dining/shopping there.

Sculpture Park is worth a visit too, take the metro to Majorstruen and walk about 10 minutes (turn right) and you'll come to it.. You can catch the tram back to Acker Brigge and a short walk from there to your hotel.

McDonalds is located at Acker Brigge and Karl Johann Street for an inexpensive meal (about 75 NOK - about GBP7.00).

Coffee's about 28NOK(GBP2.50) glass of beer about GBP6.00 and wine abuot GBP7.00. Italian restaurants seem to be the worst value with beer and a pizza about GBP25 per head. Bottles of Coke in a newsagents about GBP 2.00.

Hope that helps. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.