Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Advice please
22 Posts
I agree it is the principle and suggest you do a quick search to see whether you can indeed get the flights and hotel you want at least at the same price, or even cheaper. If you can, it would certainly be worth cancelling with TC and getting a full refund. As time is short however you do need to ensure you can book elsewhere, or you may find yourself without a holiday. Presumably you have a few days before you need let TC know your decision but you will need to act quickly. Also bear in mind that if you wait for the refund from TC before you re-book the price may have gone up again. The best of luck.
cook have informed our travel agent that they are no longer flying from here and have sent our tickets to our travel agent flying from east midlands.

You are being really "mucked about" by Thomas Cook.
They probably are hoping you will be quiet and just take whatever they give you.
I've had similar experience with them in the past. It's the organisation machine you are fighting.
However - if you can get to talk to somebody who has some decision making responsibility in the Thomas Cook organisation, a real human being, you might well find that they have the capability of doing something - a taxi to the airport - or a discount - or something else on a goodwill basis.
Unfortunately you have a travel agent between you and Thomas Cook. If they are a GOOD travel agent they will fight your corner and win for you, but if they are an average travel agent....
Thanks aslemma and ukbill, what annoys me is that thomas cook have issued tickets flying from east midlands without consultation. I will be talking to my travel agent tomorrow and will say that we will fly from manchester with no extra charges if not i will have a full refund. We can book immediately for elsewhere and even thomas cook online have 5 holidays in tunisia cheaper than what we paid, some of them in sousse, marhaba hotels? Will keep you informed.
Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction Sue. The cost of getting to the UK airport can add quite a lot to a holiday. I've stayed in several of the Marhaba hotels in Sousse and will be in the Marhaba Salem from 18th March.
Just an update. thomas cook says we can fly from manchester the price being £884 compared to the £721.00 we paid. This has increased alot since yesterday. They have said that is with a £40.00 discount for inconvenience but flying from manchester the discounts and supplements are lower than what leeds/bradford were and they can't move discounts from 1 airport to another. So a refund it is.
:( Sorry to hear you are not getting your holiday Sue, I hope you are able to find somewhere to go :tup
TC have certainly not covered themselves with glory and you did the right thing in my opinion. Hope you get something else sorted out to your satisfaction.
Just a further update my travel agent has confirmation from TC to refund which she has, should take a couple of days to appear in my bank. Have rang first choice holidayhypermarket who have matched their online price going to Marhaba royal salem. Same dates but from manchester for a grand total of £567.00, A grand saving of £154 which will cover getting to manchester with a few drinks in the airport, by god i need it. Thanks to everyone for their advice. Sue
Great news Sue. I think you will like the Royal Salem, I certainly did.
Glad to hear you have been there aslemma. Do they provide beach towels or do you take your own? Is there a la carte restaurants if you wanted a change from the buffet and is there a kettle in the room? Any info would be greatly appreciated with ref to location etc. Thanks
Excellent news Sue, have a great time :tup
Hi Sue, First of all here's a map of Sousse. As you can see it is some way from the centre of town and the Medina but taxis are cheap or it can be a pleasant stroll. There is actually a bus stop not far from the hotel but I've never caught the bus. You will find the Royal Salem towards the top of the map: http://img41.exs.cx/img41/3136/soussekaartgroot6bs.jpg

You need to provide your own towels for the beach and there is no kettle in the room. There are plenty of restaurants around if you fancy a change and even one or two in the grounds, though I don't think they would be included if you are AI but don't really know as I always go HB. The main reception area is lovely and divided in two, with the non-smoking area and bar on the lower level as you enter, and smoking just up a slope looking down. Entertainment often takes place between the two and both are equally comfortable. You walk through the grounds to the beach. When I was there in October a lot of the evening entertainment took place around one of the outdoor swimming pools, which also had a bar and shop but you need to get there fairly early to get seats near the stage or you won't get the full benefit.
Thanks aslemma for all the info, really looking forward to going, just to sort out what clothing to take and get myself packed. Will make sure i post a review when we get home Kiltman.
Before you finally pack you might like to check the weather forecast for Sousse:
http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/tn/susah/susah/forecast2.aspx
I have usually found it to be reasonably accurate.
Thanks again Aslemma for the weather guide, it's quite a mixed bag. Will check again next week which will cover our time away and make sure i pack a few cardigans for the evenings.
Just received our tickets, getting quite excited now. Thought all flights resumed today but can't find details of any flights leaving. It looks as if the 13th march(the day we go) is the first flight leaving.
They've kept changing the date for re-starting flights Sue but now it's actually happening and you can look forward to your holiday. As I'm flying with BA I don't get a ticket but just check in on line 24 hours before at the earliest. Just been out and bought myself a new pair of sandals but haven't been out of trousers for months so I'm hoping my skirts still fit me! I've got my HT wrist band so I'll be wearing that while out in the grounds or if I come into the Royal for a drink, so if you see a short fair haired older women with a distracted air do come and say hello (or better still just say Aslemma, as that actually means 'hello') :glynis
Hi Aslemma, i'm still undecided what to pack. I've got 3 prs of crops, 2 dresses but as yet have not packed any skirts, im a softy really as i like it really hot and get cold very quickly. Will it still we warm enough to sunbathe? Even if i can just get a bit of colour, i won't look a pastey, lol.
Checking the forecast it is supposed to be between 17 - 21 deg for the first few days of your holiday but you do need to check nearer the time. I have roasted in February and frozen in April so it can be hit and miss. I would certainly take a couple of pairs of trousers and a warm cardigan, though I find the pashminas you can pick up in the Medina for under a fiver are excellent for keeping the chill off. At the risk of sounding like your granny, I would also pack an umbrella as it does rain there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.