Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi madsue ... the threat of industrial action next week has just been formally suspended, after management and unions agreed to a new programme of 'intensive' talks aimed at resolving various issues.

David :wave
Does anyone know if Aer Lingus allow pooling of bagage allowance for 2 people travelling together? Hubby and I are going to Portugal next month. I think I'll manage to get everything in by using one large and one small bag but larger might be a little over 20kgs.
Aer Lingus do allow people travelling together on same reference to pool baggage allowance.

Seat pitch is 30". Hubby is 6'2" and he had enough leg room on 3hour flight to and from Algarve.
Aer Lingus is warning of the potential for severe disruption to services on Monday, due to a dispute over new working practices .... click here for full story.

After marathon non-stop talks lasting 36 hours, an agreement has been reached which averts the prospect of industrial action tomorrow. Aer Lingus now plans to operate a full schedule of services ... click here for more details.

Now, if only Irish air traffic controllers, management and unions could reach agreement over their problems !!

Aer Lingus launches Belfast-Faro route

Aer Lingus has begun operating a new route to Faro from Belfast.

The route will operate three flights a week, on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday using a A320 aircraft.

Director of Faro Airport António Correia Mendes said: "The launch of this new service to Belfast by Aer Lingus emphasises the investment by the company in the development of Faro Airport.

"This operation has resulted in the significant increase in flights between Faro and Belfast, which it is hoped shall provide greater stimulus in this important catchment market for the Algarve."

With permission from Travelmole
Aer Lingus plunges into red

Aer Lingus made an operating loss of almost £18 million (22.3 million euros) on the first half of the year.

The plunge from an operating profit of 2.6 million euros in the same period last year came with a warning that the Irish carrier would at best break even in the second six months of the year.

Soaring oil prices were blamed by chef executive Dermot Mannion, who said the airline had been operating in extremely difficult market conditions.

The airline, which operates 42 aircraft, saw its fuel bill rise by 56.5 million euros in the half year.

Revenue was up by 10.2% to 632.9 million euros and passenger carryings were also by up 10.5%.

But against a background of slowing economic growth, the carrier faces making more cost cuts which could include staffing and its flight network.

Mannion was quoted as saying that without making "fundamental cganges" to its cost base, Aer Lingus would make a larger loss next year.

"Even with the reduction in fuel prices over the last few weeks, competitive pressure on fares and volumes will continue and we are best expected to break even in the second half, delivering a loss for the full year," he said.

Aer Lingus has removed fuel surcharges on long-haul services booked from today .... click here for more info.

Aer Lingus are considering establishing a base at Gatwick to fly to up to 8 European destinations.

An interesting move.......

Nivsy
Those plans have now been confirmed, Nivsy:

Aer Lingus confirms Gatwick base

Aer Lingus has confirmed plans to establish an international base at Gatwick for European flights.

Four aircraft will be based at the London airport in the first move of its kind away from Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Seven destinations - Malaga, Munich, Nice, Vienna, Knock, Faro and Zurich - have been earmarked for services from spring 2009.

Fares will start at £19.99 one way including taxes.

The airline, fending off a €748 million hostile takeover bid by Ryanair, already runs a Dublin-Gatwick service but the expansion will pitch it against UK budget rival Easyjet, one of the biggest carriers at the airport.

Aer Lingus plans to expand its Gatwick presence to eight aircraft with a potential for 2.5 million passengers a year within 12 months.

More than 120 new jobs will be created in the first year as the carrier locates four Airbus A320s at Gatwick.

Long haul services from Gatwick are also being mooted in the longer term, according to reports.

The airline's chief executive Dermot Mannion said: "The Gatwick operation will complement our existing services out of London Heathrow and position Aer Lingus for growth as we roll out new routes and bases in future years."

Gatwick's commercial director Mike Luddy said: "We know Aer Lingus evaluated a range of airports across Europe for their first base outsdie Ireland and we are delighted they chose Gatwick as their London base.

"In this challenging period for the aviation industry, this is proof of Gatwick's position as an ideal airport for profitable airline growth."

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me,
I want to know where Aer Lingus Planes are based
E.G. EI-LAX Dublin and so on

If possible I would also like to know the registrationd for the Airbus320/321
Could you tell me where EI-??? is based and that EI-??? is based in Belfast and so on
You can get the list of registrations from wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus

Thank you

MS
ms755,

Aer Lingus use too many aircraft, and rotate them too often to be able to give you registrations at specific airports. Does it matter? They are all the same inside!

Darren
Certainly pleased that they have started these services from gatwick as i have now been able to book direct flights to Vienna instead of going from heathrow and have saved £150.
We're flying to Dublin on Aer Lingus in March. Just wondered if they provide or sell snacks on baord as our flight is 8am out and 9pm coming home.
You have to purchase refreshments on board.

Nivsy
You are welcome. You can see what is available on the Aer Lingus website - look for the tab "services and frequent flyer"

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.