Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
hi, will post a reply in Ag. Marina Chania as this has been started for Earthquake. If I dont do that I think someone will shift it over anyway!
Have loads of info for that area and no doubt a lot more will join in the link too as its a popular place! :D
This is a reply to a subject already started in "Earthquakes".......

Well, we started going about 6 years ago to Crete and fell in love with Chania, Agia Marina and that area particularly. If you havent been to Crete before I am sure you will love it too. The airport is not far, about 1/2 hr transfer depending on drop offs with good views of Souda Bay on the way down. You can get taxi's or even hire a car locally on the internet. We found they will drop the car off there for you and you can leave it there at the end of the hols. No problems. The dual carriageway takes you on the outskirts of Chania and eventually you can join the coast road to Ag. Marina. Agia Marina is a bit busier now than when we first went. On the sea front there were old brick works but now they have built a very big modern hotel with all the facilities and opposite they have a mini golf/putting course. We stayed a little bit up the hill from there just past the tiny cemetary in the "Ekavi Suites" which were lovely and convenient. Where are you staying in Ag. Marina? Just off the main road (where the petrol station/shop on the corner is ) are a selection of nice shops and restaurants. Our particular favourites are the Aletri (run by Christo and his family), very popular and on the corner is the Horiatiko, so popular it is always packed right on the corner at the top of the road. The food is very good with good family recipes and huge portions and we have got to know the the owners (Demetri and his bro) over the years. On the main road (cant remember the name of the place) but on the sea side almost opposite the Petalo Music Bar (Desi owns it) with pool table, is a lovely restaurant and they have traditional Greek evenings. It is advertised outside! The best that we have seen. Sometimes they have 60's evenings too. This is on the beach and is lovely.

The beaches are clean although the sea can have strong currents, but we love it! The best beaches to visit are Elafonisos and Falasarna - They can be a bit windy and the trip to Elafonisos is a bit hair raising but is worth it, visit the Sofia Caves on the way, worth the climb. Falasarna can be windy too - great for a tan but not so good for eating on the beach, but the sea is fantastic!

Buses run very regular to Chania one way and Platanais the other. You can walk to Platanais which is a bit busier but great for shops and restaurants. Try the restaurant high up on the hill. Fantastic views! Also you could try walking into the old Agia Marina village, where you can find some smaller family restaurants which are more quieter.

All in all, Ag Marina is very nice, although popular now it has not lost its charm. We stay a bit further along the coast now at Kolymbari, very quiet but not far from the busier resorts. We have always felt safe in Ag. Marina and we had teenage daughters that we didnt feel the need to 'lock up'. Have a brilliant time!! :lol:
thanks very much for the info. we have been to crete twice previously and to numerous other greek islands. we have yet to visit west crete though. it is our intention to look for property there. however the main thing is to enjoy our holiday there which i am quite sure we will and it is always good to have a little local knowledge of the area. we are staying at the mastorakis village and travelling with kosmar. once again thanks for the info.
Last year we stayed at Paleochora and Agia Marina. The two places are very different. Paleochora is smaller, quieter and less "touristy" with a number of "normal" shops. Some good restaurants on the high street (which closes to traffic at 7pm when all the tables are pulled outside). There's an outdoor cinema which plays English language films so the locals can learn to speak it better. Tourists are welcome to use it. I think it costs 5 Euros. The direct road from Paleochora to Elafonisi is one that you won't take twice but (as stated above) the beach is excellent. There's just one shop there.

Agia Marina is generally more expensive and touristy and some of the restaurants employ guys to grab you off the street. We avoided those. In fact we had to change our evening walk route because one guy became quite abusive when we refused to go in (we'd already eaten). This place was close to a sign that says "Lydia". I didn't find much to do in Agia Marina.

Note: most beach parasols on Crete are "see-through". I got burnt.

We'll be back in Paleochora in July 2006.
I agree with the above too. We havent travelled to Paleochora at night though but have 1 return journey back at night. I am a bit paranoid about travelling back to the North Coast at night along those roads !!! :roll: We have had a stroll around the town (village) and had a meal on the harbour front, walked around the bay and sat on the extremely hot beach! Whenever we have got there it has been about mid-day so we just made for the sea which can be a bit rough. The hottest place we have ever been too it seems around 36-37 degrees, too hot for me! Couldnt even walk on the sand, feet got burnt.. It is a very sleepy quiet place and seems quite isolated. The drive there is a bit 'hairy' and would be worse on a coach I think. We took a wrong turning going back and ended up going all over the hills amongst the tomato greenhouses and further up, needless to say we got totally lost.. at one point I thought it was raining but we were so high up it was mist, stopping for a drink in a desolate village was entertaining as no one, absolutely no one spoke English, we ended up following the west coast road and that was just as hair raising going around the cliff bends. Not for the faint hearted! That particular time it was dark too, in six years we have never been back along that road! It must have been a sight to behold, one 4 x 4 jeep, 3 terrified females and one mad english male yelling for daughters to take a video of literally everything whilst holding on at the same time. Hysterical!!! :lol: Our holidays since have been more sedate!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.