Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
AI, HB or B&B
12 Posts
Does nobody answer on this forum? Just looking for a bit of advice folks
If somebody has the info you need I am sure they will answer you.

Sarah
Hi

I think it depends on what kind of a budget you are on. There are many AI's in Sharm although most of them are outside of Namma Bay. In theory (although it might be a bit boring) once you have paid for this there will probably be little need for much spending money.

Most AI's are 4* & you will need to read the reviews. Popular ones on this board are the Hilton Sharks Bay, Coral Sea Resort, Red Sea holiday Village, Sonesta Beach Resort and the Coral Hilton at Nuwebia.

All 5 have their own threads on HT that you could read.

You can book the Hilton with eveyone or DIY it. The next two First Choice exclusive, the later two booked through TUI brands.

I can't give you prices on eating out and drinks, and of course it varys to what you choose, but it has become more expensive for food and alcohol has always been expensive, particularly premium brands as it's all imported. Decentish wine in a restaurant is over 20 pounds a bottle. People often take two bottles of spirt in with them from the plane so they can have a drink on their balcony before they go out.

If you wish to stay BnB or HB you need to be in either Namma Bay or Ras um el Sid, to get access to the restaurants quickly by either walking or a quick cab ride.

I stayed in the Rennaisance Golden View Beach Resort at Ras um Sid a few years ago on a BnB basis. Its an excellent hotel, 5* by Egypts standards, but I think you will spend more this way also stayed in the Crowne Plaza which was a bit cheaper.

Most BnB hotels have 3 or 4 restaurants that you can pay to eat in if you dont wish to go out one night. Hotels in Sharm are large compared to most in Spain, Greece etc. Multipule pools, some kind of beach access, check this out though as lots have jettys straight into deep water to protect the coral which on no account must be touched. The entertainment is normally naff though.

Sharm is an area rather than a resort it covers about 30 kilometers of redsea coast line.

Doe :wave
Hi jackie

As Chris says sharm is a huge stretch of coastline and you really have 2 choices . You either stay B+B or HB in Naama bay or old town area .There are only a couple of A/I's here , The sonesta beach resort is the only one I can think of though or you choose one of the ever expanding choices of A/Is along the coast . All have easy access into naama bay but there is little outside of the hotels to walk to . The exception would be to choose a hotel at the newer Nabq end of sharm i.e the holiday village , coral sea resort ,laguna vista or grand Azure where you have a couple of malls with bars , restaurants to wander around .

Most of these hotels are very large with choices of restuarants, pools but as Chris says the Egypian hotels are not known for exciting entertainment so read reviews carefully.

You will probably find though that if you choose one of the B+Bs/HB's in the prime location of Naama bay you will be paying somewhere close to what you would pay for an A/I along the coast . I have never done it but from members here who have I was always under the impression that it was very cheap to eat out but it seems that within the last year or two prices have jumped quite considerably .

I was going to point you in the direction of a handy hotel location map but it appears the link is no longer working and you have to pay to view it . :(

lyn
lynwestie wrote:
Hi jackie

I was going to point you in the direction of a handy hotel location map but it appears the link is no longer working and you have to pay to view it . :(

lyn

:yikes I know I could never find it to help posters anyway, but I can't beleive you now have to pay to view it. How very Egyptian. :rofl
Hmm . Wish I had taken copies now . :(

I'm sure there is another around but not as clear as that one . shame
Prices have gone up considerably over the last two years, i go to sonesta beach once/twice a year and the food there has improved so much that even i havent ventured out my hotel, except to have a gander into NB. Beer and my tipples of Malibu and Whisky are a little dearer in the OOnas bar but the same price as the UK, Sakara and Heineken were the same price about £1.20 if i remember right. Trip advisor also can give you some good views on hotels as well as HT.
Thanks Folks. We have been looking at the Iberotel Lido in Naama Bay. It seems to get a good write up on trip advisor but we can only do half board I think and just wondered whether it was worth it. Plus it's v small being a boutique hotel so wonder if we will be better going to a bigger hotel. Always a bit of a gamble when you're trying a new country etc. Just want to get it right so we have a good holiday....

Jacki
Hi Jacki

Is it just for two adults or is it adults and kids ? If it is just the two of you I would give the Iberotel Lido a chance. Its in a great location for all the bars and restaurants and shops in Namma Bay and most reports of jippy tummy come from AI hotels, probably due to the sheer volume of people in them there is much more chance of things being passed from person to person.
This map here is a pretty good hotel locater for Sharm. I`ve been using it for a couple of years now.
http://www.pachasharm.com/main/map/map.htm
Brilliant Saved to my favourites . Thanks fitzy :)

We have no excuses now not to visit Pasha for a night out too :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.