Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I have paid for my flight today which leaves on the 8/03/07 long haul and have been told by the travel agent that i will not have to pay the excess.
I have booked and paid for a ticket online with KLM from BHX to Curacao via Amsterdam, leaving in March. So what do you reckon will be the tax? Just on the BHX/AMS leg, or all of it? :?
About £500!! :lol:

I would think only the 1st leg to AMS, that would be £10,
or it could be £40 for the full journey, but youre not going to Curacao directly so it would depend on whether theres a departure tax from AMS??
I booked flights with Easyjet the other day and I didnt seem to pay any extra tax, but presumably I will have to pay it at the airport, as the flight isnt until next July.
I booked in July to go to Goa in Feb 07. I received an email from my travel agent that I have to pay £20 per person in duty. It's disgusting-3 of us-adding an extra £60 to our holiday! Outrageous :x
I just called Thomson to clarify our position as we have booked to travel to Goa for 3 weeks in March and paid for the holiday in full at the time of booking last December, the guy I spoke to today stated that we will not have to pay any extra.
Haddojetty, sorry to hear that you are having to pay the extra, I personally think it is very unfair that your T.O. is charging you when others are absorbing the cost.
Cheers
Scruffyish
Haddojetty,

Who are you travelling through?

I am going to Goa in February 2007 (booked in April this year) and have been told by First Choice they will not be adding any more to the cost of the holiday.
I am booked through Travelpack (kind of wishing I hadn't but it's paid for now), I received the email so basically we have to pay-what can I do apart from pay up and shut up?? Oh well I guess the savings we make whilst we are there make up for it. It's just another stealth tax that clobbers us eh!
Hi, I have booked with Jet 2 to Alicante 15th -19th Feb and 21st May-5th June. These flights were booked several months ago, could anyone tell me if we will have to pay the extra tax, I haven't heard anything yet. If we do, will they ask for it before hand or will we have to cough up at the airport.

Thank you in advance

Sue :)
either check with the airline, have you looked on their website? you could ring them.
You will probably have to pay at the airport when checking in.
I'm also flying out from Heathrow twice in February, the first time to Cuba and have already paid for the ticket so I'm expecting to pay at either checkin or departure. The second time with BA to Germany, I only booked the ticket last week so I'm assuming the new tax is included as the fare had increased in price over the last few weeks. As I am travelling alone the increase won't bother me so I will wait till I get to the Airport to find out what's happening but I can understand someone with a family needing to fork out another £20 per person at departure being upset.
I have looked on the Jet 2 site but I can't see anything about the new tax. I was going to give them a ring but if you ring them about general enquiries, it's about 50p per minute so I'll just bide my time and wait and see.

Thank You anyway

Sue :)
hi We are going to Fuengirola in February - 6 of us
4 adults and 2 littleys
I got an email from easyjet last week for me to pay the extra £30
Our flights were booked in September 2006

Very annoying as BMi baby pulled out of Durham Tees Valley - where we had 6 return flights for £126.00

Had to book with Easyjet from Newcastle £582.00 for 6 plus the minibus from Middlesbrough to Newcastle at least £110

Our cheap family break has turned into a costly one but we didnt want to miss out on the holiday
yes i also have had an email from easy jet , i have not clicked the link to go into pay the extra , as i was worried it wasnt genuine :? if i access my booking from the easyjet homepage i can find no details of an extra charge to be paid or any mention of the new £5 pp tax...the email said i had until the 15th to pay, i dont travel until april, i think i will ring easy jet direct to find out more.
Emso, I have just paid the extra £5 each for our Easyjet flights to Palma in August. The link in the email they sent takes you to a page on Easyjet's website where the total extra cost due to changes in APD for your booking is clearly shown. After paying online, it automatically reissues the flight booking confirmation voucher showing the extra amount paid and the adjusted total paid. If I now click on the link to my booking it says I have already paid the APD charge required so although I can't say I'm happy about paying it, at least it's sorted now. Here is a copy of the email they sent me which should be the same as yours.

Dear Robert,

You may have heard that the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, recently
announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) - a tax implemented,
controlled and collected by the UK Government - is due to increase on
all flights departing from UK airports after 1 February 2007.

We're very sorry to tell you that unfortunately this affects your
booking with the above reference.

easyJet was one of many airlines which lobbied the Government hard not
to increase the tax on flying. Contrary to what the Chancellor said,
we do not believe that increasing APD is an effective environmental
tax and is simply a means for the Government to raise additional
revenue. However, we have no choice but to implement this tax increase
and we must collect the additional tax per departing passenger from
you.

Please click here to visit easyJet.com and provide the additional
payment before 15 January 2007.

*Link removed*

If you have a question regarding the increase in APD, please phone our
national rate number at 10p per minute (calls from mobiles or other
networks may vary) 08712 44 23 66.

We apologise for the need to ask you for the additional payment at
this stage, but hope that you appreciate that this is beyond our
control.

Your easyJet team.

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions
you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our
control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass
on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may
result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to
view easyJet's Terms and Conditions.
http://easyJetmail.com/cgi-bin2/DM/y/eeOd0IDcER0NuI0BR2x0ES
I have just got 2 emails from Jet 2, one relating to each booking advising me that they will be debiting my account with £5.00 per person per trip for the increase in taxes withing the next few days.

It would be all the same if I didn't have any money in my account and became overdrawn because of this. I would then become liable to bank charges.

sue
I'm surprised at that Sue, didn't know that was allowed without authorisation.
Paid my Easyjet yesterday, but as above, they asked for it.

Robby :wink:
Hi Robbie, I hope I don't get in to bother for copying and pasting this but this is what they sent me. I have omited the ref number for security reasons but here is the rest of it.

On 6 December 2006 the UK Government announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) was to increase from £5 to £10 per departing passenger on each flight flying from a UK airport from 1 February 2007 onwards.

As you may know, this is a mandatory increase in tax, imposed with virtually no notice by the Government, or consultation with the airline industry. We now have the task of collecting the additional tax from all our passengers flying from a UK airport from 1 February. For ease of reference please find below relevant extracts of Article 4.2 of our General Conditions of Carriage.

As you have a flight on or after this date, in order to avoid congestion and delays at the airport on your day of travel, we are contacting you to advise that in approximately 5 working days time, we will debit the payment card used at the time of your original booking with the amount of £5 per fare paying passenger in respect of the above booking reference. Please be assured no payment fee will be charged.

We may contact you again with a similar notification regarding any later flight bookings you may have during 2007.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Relations
Jet2.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.