General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I hope you get some replies Jeffro. I am about to experience the same problem this year.

Check out the following http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=94555

It might give you an insight.

Kath x
That makes 3 of us, I will be experiencing the same in the near future.

There seems to be loads of info out there for wheelchair users but not for those of us with limited walking ability.

Patka
Hi Jeffro,

You might get a better response if you post in the 'Disabled Travellers' forum - it isn't just for wheelchair users but in the meatime you might find the following useful.

My mother has had mobility problems for some time as a result of arthritis and now my father has joined her and is awaiting a hip replacement. I always book assistance for them - you don't have to be a wheelchair user in order to do this. I usually book a wheelchair for her use from check-in onwards and with most airlines this means that the check-in staff phone through and an airport employee comes along and then shepherds us through security etc. If we have plenty of time before boarding then they usually arrange when and where they will come back and meet us to then take us to the gate and they wil also assist with boarding. My mother can manage stairs so even if there isn't an airbridge we don't have problems but if you can't manage steps up to the plane make this clear in advance, as soon as possible after booking, and they will arrange a hydraulic lift for you! You will find that you'll probably be boarded first but asked to remain seated on landing and you'll be disembarked last with a wheechair waiting at the plane door for you. They'll then take you through to the baggage reclaim and if needed will assist with this and take you through into the main arrivals hall etc. if necessary they will take you raight through to your pick-up/meet and greet point.

We've always had excellent service from nearly every airline, including EasyJet, FlyBe, MyTravel and Thomas Cook. The one airline that we have had trouble with is Ryanair who do their damndest to deter you from requesting assistance - threaten them with the DDA and they will fall into line but their service still leaves a lost to be desired because they will always try and ot he absolute minimum. For example, unless you stipulate that you need someone to puch the chair they won't actually provide somebody so remember to do this if ever using Ryanair! Not a problem if I am travelling with them but a big problem if they are travelling on their own - how on earth they expect a 79 yr old to push his wife and deal with 2 suitcases on his own since they won't allow you to pool luggage allowances, I dno't know!

For our trip together to the Canaries in October I will need to book assistance for the both of them for the first time ever but as we are travelling with BA from Manchester I don't expect problems with this. Since her knee operation my mother is more mobile than she was and my father is reluctant to admit he needs assistance but I've told them that we need to do this for my sake! They both use sticks to walk which limits the amount they can carry/push/pull and at Tenerife there is always a long walk from the arrival gate to the baggage reclaim which I think they'll find very tiring. Also, I want to be able to count on assistance from the baggage reclaim to the taxi to take us down to the port at Los Christianos for the ferry to La Gomera. The less time I have to worry about dealing with 3 peoples' luggage the better. Also, we will arrive back in Manchester in the early hours - a tiring enough journey in itself after a long day so similar assistance to the taxi at the other end will be a godsend, especially as there are two lots of stairs to negotiate at Manchester for arrivals. Wheelchair users and those with mobility problems are taken through a backdoor way and so stay on the level all the way through!

Please remember that airlines are required to provide this sort of assistance for anyone with mobility problems so don't feel that you are asking for a favour - this a right.

SM
I too am restricted to how far I can walk unaided. So I now use a rollator - walking aid with wheels.
At the airport I carry our flight bags on the seat of the rollator, while Mike manages the cases. At check in they put a luggage label on it and I then use it untill we reach the aircraft, just like anyone with a buggy does. I find that going through security is easier as they pull you forward of the queue.
The trouble comes at the other end, having to walk to baggage reclaim. So on our next holiday, where we will be flying to Palma airport, I am going to book wheelchair assistance, as apparantly it is a long walk to baggage reclaim.
Never used it but have enquired on behalf of clients. As you go in the terminal building (this is for Gatwick but should also apply to other UK airports) - there is a button or phone to call for assistance. You may have to wait a short while for someone to actually reach you as they might be on the other side of the terminal. Once they get to you, they will take you through to check-in where others will take over if you have booked wheelchair assistance with the airline.
I recently booked my mother flights to America and requested assistance as she cannot walk very far. We had no problem booking it. All you need to do is quote your blue bage number when booking and they do the rest for you.. My mother flew out of Manchester and was received into a wheelchair at check-in and looked after until boarding, she was taken onto the plane first, but on another note on landing she was taken off last after the able-bodie pasengers had disembarked, which did incur a little waiting around. On the whole she was pleasantly pleased with the service (which of course is complimentary) and would advise disabled people to take advantage of it. :D
Thank you all for your replies (I am sure Jeffro will appreciate it too)

I cant tell you how much this has helped.

Thanks again

Kath HT Admin
I am very grateful for your replies my wife and I are going to Majorca in August. We were worried about being dumped at the gate. I think we will take our chances just this one more time.
Also very grateful, this info will really help in the future.

Patka
My dad had a heart attack out in Majorca 2 years ago and the airport assistance he had out there, and back at Cardiff was second to none. My mother & him were transported in an airport buggy and were seated first on the plane so they didn't interfere with other travellers trying to find their seats. They disembarked last, but this was no hardship. They wouldn't hesitate to ask for this service again if needed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.