Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
This has really made me think. We've just booked our Airport parking today ready for our hols in August, trouble is you have to leave your keys incase they need to move your car to get another one out, mind you our's isn't a posh car as such, don't think anyone would want it :lol:
Must admit this is something that I hadnt thought about. Although those in whose care the vehicle was, were eventually told to pay they of course had gone bust. Will seriously look at the car parks I use in future and refuse to leave the keys with them!!
Thanks for the info though
Thing is could the car park company REFUSE to take a car if the keys weren't left? We've seen the way they cram them in at Bellair (sardines in can spring to mind) and if the car in front needs to be moved they need to move the car behind. If they can't move one car I should imagine it would cause no end of problems, if they can't move any it would be chaos.

Thank God we don't have that hassle to worry about - if flying from Durham Tees Valley we leave the car at my parents and taxi in, if flying from Newcastle we leave car at home and taxi in.
The thought had crossed my mind tisonlymoi, they may possibly not accept your car if you refuse to leave the keys :?
Most of these airport parking companies would require you to leave your keys, as the location where you drop off and pick up your car is not necessarily where it will remain parked for the duration of your holiday. It may have to be removed from the reception area or temporary holding point, to make way for more arrivals and departures while you are away.

The same applies with some hotels which offer an overnight stay plus 14 days parking. Cars may be removed from their car park for the 14 day duration, to a compound which may be adjoining or could perhaps be several miles away.

You would need to check what insurance cover if any is provided by hotels or parking companies in the event of accident damage or theft whilst your car is in their care, and also check with your own insurance company to verify what their policy is with regard to leaving your car and keys in the custody of facilities such as these.

David :wave
Forget the car get a taxi.
More words of caution about some 'Meet & Greet' type airport parking companies .... click here

David :wave
The question of leaving keys came up a couple of years ago. Secure manned car parks where they park your car need the keys.

Not as some may think to rob you, but as a requirement by the insurance company. In the case of a fire then they must be able to move vehicles.

I have also read the articles about the s c a m s that are carried out. I have only once left my car with a firm that I was not happy with - a free parking offer from the TO.

I would rather pay to park with a reputable company than take a risk.

fwh
Reading the above posts made me remember an incident that occured a few years ago with a local airport car park. My husband parked the car and the trusting chap that he is ( :!: ) reset the mileage guage. When we returned after two weeks of holidaying the mileage counter read 21 miles. I appreciate that they may have needed to move the car, but for 21 miles worth :?: (The radio station had also been changed to radio 4 :) ) We didnt complain - it was stupid o'clock in the morning but even so. Whilst this is not as serious as having your car stolen, it has made us think twice about using one of these car parks again. Who knows what kind of trouble could have been caused using someones car. I should say that the car park we used is a reputable one.

To be honest, it costs us the same for an airport taxi to the airport and return home as it does for two weeks parking so we use that now which is more convenient anyway.
well im sorry to use the i told you so approach but i have been warning people for years about some airport parking , but, no one listens, a few years ago i was on a building site in the south and on the fields all around an airport parking company was storing vehicles, in the last 5 years my work has taken me to several large/international airports around the country, im am sorry to say the standard of driving displayed by the so called valet parkers is abismal, and i am surprised not more people complain about damage, ( mid you many are too tired from the flight to even think about checking the body work

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.