Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
check http://www.airlinequality.com lots of info about Alitalia flights.
I assume you are routing via Rome or Milan for your final destination. Like all scheduled carriers your baggage will leave London and be checked all the way through to destination. Boarding cards for each flight should be issued at Heathrow. Aircraft may vary from the Airbus 320/321 type to MD80's/90's series. They are in the process of selling the MD's however i quite like them. used Alitalia from Munich to Milan and Rome before. Service was a little ropey but then again maybe it was typical Italian style - just seemed a little dis organised...good flights though - altho' it must be said the climb out rate after take off was nearly vertical!!

Nivsy
Nivsy,

I've never flown with them myself, but I agree with you about the climb rate. Have a look at this!

Darren
Dazbo, Ha ha. Brings back sweet memories. Great shot of the MD.

Nivsy
saw a documentary about md-80's a while back,aparently they have just about the fastest climb rate of any airliner and can manage extremly high pitch angles anyway sorry :offtop
Oh i dunno about the "off topic" situ. Nice change than talking about the seating configuration of....... I dont know a My Travel Airbus!! Yeah they do climb at an awesome rate - its a shame that they are now all more or less slowly but surely being sold on to various other countries outside Europe these days....or to charter companies.

Nivsy
Thank you all for your replies.

Nivsy is correct in assuming that I will be travelling via Italy.

So when I check in, do I have to request some kind of flight connection or fast track for my luggage when I am at Heathrow?

or is the luggage automatically transferred to my connecting flight?

Read the reviews on Alitalia, seems they are not big on punctuality either.

I am gonna need some ear planes for my ears if the ascends so quickly.
thnk it wil be automaticly transfered to the conecting flight especially as its the same airline.
yeah it is a shame to see the md-80's etc fazing out they are an awsome aircraft which are apparantly lovely to fly with really superb handling and as we have said really good powerfull engines (they can easily take off needing only 75% thrust if i remember correctly)
Anyway have a good flight! try and remember to post back how it goes.
Eat well before you board!. I flew with them LHR/FCO then MXP/LHR last year. Inflight snack on both flights was grim. A stale roll with either cheese and something like green paste inside - or some sort of meat (at least they gave us a choice!), plus a small bite size piece of yucky cake. Drink service came around once with the meal (!) service then the flight attendants retired to the galley area where they hid for the rest of the flight.
You have my sympathy. :roll: I flew from Heathrow to Milan early on 4th July and there was not even a drink offered (due to problems with catering). On the way back we were treated :?: to a small roll with what seemed like cream cheese and some sort of meat and a couple of things somewhere between biscuits and cake plus a wrapped sweet (as in sweet, not desert) together with either a beer or a soft drink - no tea or coffee on offer. We took off late from Milan as "some of the crew haven't turned up yet". :twisted: Luckilly the pilot made up the time but it certainly wouldn't be my airline of choice. :roll:
I can't believe how high the prices of this flight has jumped.

From LHR - TUN 22/10/05-29/10/05.

I got this exact flight for £365.70 in July 05, now the price has jumped to £1108.20 for 1A + 1C. Check it out!!

http://www.alitalia.co.uk/booking/TicketDetails.aspx

It really does pay to book early.
Used them a few times Milan (MXP) to Lisbon very poor business class.
Rome to Amman (Jordan) least said about that flight the better.All were by MD 90.
I've read that the service is abysmal, so I'm going to have a few brandy's before I get on the plane, that way I wont be so bothered unless there is a lengthy delay.

I know that if I'm going to survive the plane journey, I will have to go self-catering on the flight. An MP3 player, books and some glossies should keep me occupied. I hope :roll:
Hi,

Has anybody flew with alitalia.

I belive they are based in Italy.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

EDIT: merged with existing Alitalia topic
David HT Mod
As a foot note - I think they have been on strike for the past 6 days! Oooops!!

(well done mods for finding this link - seemed ages ago!!)

Nivsy.
Hi,

Im travelling from Heathrow- Tunis,Tunisia with them in August.

So I check in at Heathrow then what happens with bags etc..?

Never had connecting flight before, bit wary but the flight was a bargain!

Also there is only a 45 min gap between the 2 flights.
45min wait is in Milan waiting for Tunisia flight.

What happens with check-in.

Thanks,
BRAD
Hi travelled with Alitalia to Tunisia from LHR on 22/10/2005. Arrived at airport with my daughter, to be told that our tickets had been sold to standby passengers, check in was not closed at the time either. I was bumped onto 2 flights with Lufthansa 7.5 hours later, missed my transfers because of the lengthy delay.

My advice is to get there very very early, because otherwise they will sell your tickets as it's not uncommon for them to overbook by 30% especially during school holidays, the customer service desk told me this.

The food on the flight is horrible. Better off with your own packed lunch, as all they give you is rubbish rolls and something else, but it's not great.

The flight, now that's the bomb diggy. Never have I been on anything like it. Returning back to LHR went all smoothly with a stop-over in milan. These pilots fly the aircrafts as though they are RAF pilots and the take off is almost vertical. They get 10/10 for flight performance. Never had any inflight entertainment.
Hi,

Sounds bad...

will get to heathrow with plenty of time.

what happens with changing flights in milan?

Yours,
Brad 8)
When you check in at LHR you will be checked into both flights, so you will get 2 sets of boarding passes and your luggage will be tagged for its final destination, so no worries there.

When you get to Milan, you go through the passport control, everyone queues like sheep but you will see some passport copntrol desks with no queues, where you can show your passport and walk through, no need to queue, we are EU!! :) ..

Next advice, after finding out where your next boarding gate will be, check the time for boarding, then head for a spot of shopping in the Nike shop and other shops..

Have a good journey, if they hadn't bumped me at LHR the only bad thing I would have to complain about is the food, as the stewards were good, the flight was excellent and there was plenty of leg room. Just no entertainment, but the flights aren't long in any case.

Hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.