General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hmmm, I'm definately a dropper and flopper. When we were younger we were non stop sightseeing, exploring, partying even, but now we just chill out..... :rofl
Well I am a dropper and flopper :rofl on most days but we do set aside at least two days per week to get out and about and explore, but having been to the same area of the Dom Rep we have now seen most things, just go now for R & R.
Have now started looking at other areas to go to.

Angie.
Well, drop and flop at the moment as son and daughter cannot be more than a couple of feet away from the sea, pool or theme park! Won't be too long before we are holidaying on our own so I can see us trying a whole new array of different holidays!
We tend to go for holidays where we can do both. For instance in the summer we are off to Cambodia for 4 days where we will probably get templed out and then off to Thailand for a beach holiday and then a couple of hectic days at the end in Bangkok.
Last summer we went to Barbados. For ages before, I fretted a bit thinking that we rarely do 2 weeks in one place so we might get bored sunbathing- loved it. Had had a stressful time leading up to it so just flopping was fine. Mind you, we did go to 2 places in Barbados :)
I love to flop and drop most of the time but will have 2 days out of a fortnight when we'll explore a bit. I'm not really one for sightseeing and prefer to amble off the beaten track for a drink/bite to eat with the locals.

If the weather is boiling which is what I always hope for I'm happy enough on my lounger around the pool or on the beach, book and drink in hand with frequent dips into the water to cool off. That is my idea of bliss :)
I'm not as energetic [or pretty] as you but defiantly not a drop and flop, i enjoy walking around or along the beach, OH keeps telling me i have an itchy bum as i cant sit still for more than an hour [except on the aircraft]

wiz
When the kids were younger, we were more hotel based with the odd trip out to a water park ( mainly because the kids needed surgically removing from the pool or the local kids hang out places such as the pool table/games room)..but obviously, as they got older, we were less restricted anyway..and now neither of them holiday with us...so we can do more of what we want. I suppose it also depends on your circumstances.
We used to holiday quite alot in the Canaries where we got good AI for the kids..endless drinks and ice creams for them etc...so fo anyone with kids, it might work out quite expensive to have a holiday and then pay extra for loads of exploring adventures....
For a week or 2 in the sun as a family holiday I definately drop and flop on a sunbed with a book . I find it too hot to do anything else really . I leave the diving to the boys .

but ....

Over the last few years and now the children are no longer children Dave and I are taking a lot more city breaks where we like to get out and about and find those off the beaten track places .We get up early and are on our feet all day stomping around for miles. It's starting to get to the point where we look forward to those breaks as much as the two weekers. With these type of breaks we also like history and have no interest in shopping .

Also if we do a week in this country I wouldnt even think to lie around and do nothing . Those weeks are always for walking , talking and exploring .I'm also looking forward to trying some different style holidays in the future .

I suppose you could say we enjoy a bit of everything but each holiday is focused differently.
The way I feel at the moment I could really do with a drop and flop :( .
Both really. I do like to sit by the pool or on the beach some days but with 2 young children thre is not much chance of actually lying down for more than 10 minutes at time ;) I can easily sit and read and chill out in the sun no problem.

I also like to get out and about though, we take the girls sightseeing and on bus rides to different places and they love it.

I wouldn't like to be stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks though, there is only so much dropping and flopping I can take!
If it's just a week away definately drop and flop and if away longer drop and flop again :rofl .

And if I start to feel a bit bored with the sunbed I imagine the cold and rain at home and think "how lucky am I". :sun2
Definitely used to be drop and flop. OH really struggeld with this when we went on our first holiday to Turkey but he did say he enjoyed having to slow down!

However, since we went away to France in our campervan last year for 16 days I got very used to and actually enjopyed the driving about, setting up, cooking etc. We seemed to do so much. I did however ask for just a couple of days to 'drop and flop' but found myself getting bored after a couple of hours!!

We are off to Corfu in June and although that is supposed to be the big chill holiday we have a car booked from the airport so we can get out and about every day. Back to France in August and think it will be so easy as we know 'how it works' if you know what I mean in terms of the campsites, travelling etc.
Lyn - I could have written your post. Anywhere hot - then it's drop and flop.I do like to do a trip or two though. Sometimes organised, and sometimes independantly. I love jumping on the back of a motorbike with hubby, and just going where the roads lead us, stopping off for some food on the way. This country would always be walking, shopping, and maybe a show, depending on where we go. We love our foregn city breaks in the Autumn or spiring, which is when we do all our exploring etc. I suppose you'd class me as a bit of an all rounder.
Bit of both really on our main holidays, acheived by muti centre hols, last one was Cambodia for the temples of Angkor, a quiet beach resort in Thailand and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia for some city life and shopping. I don't think we could do a single centre for our main holiday anymore. Even on the shorter week long breaks we'ed go crazy if we did not get out and about a bit. After all why go all the way to a foreign land if not to do a little exporing.
I think I am a bit of both actually, I like sometimes to chill out by the pool with a cocktail and sunshine and a good book, I also like to get out and about and see the country I am in, I like to look at buildings and architecture as I find that intersting, especially churches and cathedrals, not just for the religious side, but I just find them very interesting.

For holiday coming up, have a few things planned, son wants toswim with dolphins - I am not sure as I have a phobia about fish, so may leave him to it and also the Zip wires through the tree tops, quite fancy that and at the moment I am sounding brave about it all - but will wait and see.
Pinky - go for it and swim with dolphins - it is a fantastic experience. I never thought I'd do it, but I enjoyed every minute of it. You never know you might never get the opportunity to do it again. Grab it with both hands - they're nothing like fish - they are the most beautiful, intelligent creatures. They sense if you are nervous or afraid, and treat you accordingly. Fascinating creatures.
Helen T wrote:
Pinky - go for it and swim with dolphins - it is a fantastic experience. I never thought I'd do it, but I enjoyed every minute of it. You never know you might never get the opportunity to do it again. Grab it with both hands - they're nothing like fish - they are the most beautiful, intelligent creatures. They sense if you are nervous or afraid, and treat you accordingly. Fascinating creatures.

Not frightened of the dolphins but there will be fish in the sea, which sends me into a blind panic - from what I can see the dolphins are not in a pool, (think thats cruel anyway), they are in a lagoon style thingy so sea water fishes etc will be in there - I know I won't be able to do it with the fish.
Definitely most happy when out and about exploring and wandering, like you Val Malta is a favourite along with Greece.
Pinky we were out in a" lagon type thingy" - but Both hubby & I can honestly say we were having such a fab time we didn't notice any fish around us - although when we went snorkelling later there were plenty. I wonder whether the nets that protect the dolphins are fine enough to keep the fish out. It might be worth you asking that question elsewhere :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.