Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi, englishrose,

Cant help you there as we have just booked to go to Lily Beach in March before the refurb, any advise or info that may help prior to our visit,
Thanks
gc
You lucky things.
We have been to Lily Beach four times now ,which I think speaks for itself.
I have never read anything negative about this island so I know you will love it.
if there is anything in particular you need to know please ask. :sun2
As its our first time to the Madives I was just wondering if there is any do's or dont's I should know about especially relating to LB. Any good or bad rooms, Dress codes, Good or bad trips, the need for mossie sprays etc. What Immunisations do we need , if any?

Many thanks
gc
Cover yourself properly when visiting inhabited islands and Male'. For men shorts and a shirt are acceptable. Women are expected to cover their bodies and thighs.

While swimming trunks, bikinis and other beachwear is the norm on the resort, they are not acceptable on inhabited islands. Nudism in public places is prohibited.

Normally, no vaccinations are required by the Maldives authorities. However, if you are from a Central African nation or South American, or if you have traveled through these areas to get here you need to have a valid certificate indicating that you have been vaccinated against yellow fever. If not you do not need any specific vaccination certificates to get into the Maldives. If you want to be extra careful, do consult your personal physician for his recommendations.

If you desire, you can bring an extra bottle of your favorite suntan lotion, hats, sunglasses, water socks (reef walkers) and any common insect repellent. Most of these are available from the hotel shops.
We have stayed at Kuramathi and love dit. the house reef was excellent for snorkelling, and the AI package was very comprehensive. The waiters are very good about explaining what is and isn't included drinks wise. (almost everything is)
Thanks funtravel,

Is the electricity 240v and normal uk 3 pin plugs?

gc
We're looking at going in May for 2 weeks to Sun Island.

Will we get bored???? I'm sure we won't but I think it's the thought of being "stuck" on an island.
Hi all, Have booked to go in Jan 09, might even take Englishrose with me. ;)
We're not going to Sun Island now, we're going to Meeru :)
Going to Vilu Reef in April 2009 on AI.

Have done AI before, at Kuredu and Velidhu.

Both were very comprehensive and Velidhu even has some cocktails included on the AI too, which was brilliant as hubby and I like a cocktail before dinner. In Kuredu we had to pay for these but it was happy hour and 2 for 1.

As for the previous ladies' questions - I would recommend you have the typhoid and teh Hep A injections - these are recommended in all travel brochures.

Remember to take plenty of sun cream as this is expensive on the islands - If you burn easily take factor 50 and nothing less then 25/30 for other times.

And one more thing - take plenty of books and puzzles, you do get through these too.

We also take a general first aid kit with us (in case anyone gets a cut etc) as it easier than trying to find a doctor or first aider etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.