America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
After much hunting round the HM Customs site, I finally found THIS

It is still £145 of goods.

luci :wave
Ahh thanks loads Luci :D I thought it was going up this year :( Ah well!

Thanks again :D
bear in mind though that a lot of things such as new clothes etc can be unpacked and placed in your suitcase as if you took them out with you :D It depends what you want to bring back 8)
If buying clothes, you can simply take off the tags. When I went to New York, I just took less and then wore the new stuff I bought while I was there.
Yeah we'll definitely be doing that anyway - we learned our lesson last year and wont be packing much to go! It'll be clothes mostly anyway i expect. Was just curious if it had increased. I am almost 99% positive i heard it was going to be increased lol. Must have been dreaming :P
No you weren't dreaming, see HERE According to that article the new limits were due to come into effect early this year, but haven't according to the above link to HM Customs.

Perhaps you could email HM Customs and ask what has happened?

£145 isnt this country soooooo mean haha. going in october and taking a near empty suitcase, after checking in on i-drive im going straight to the premiuim outlets just past seaworld and bagging myself a bargain. happy shopping to all
Hi all, can anyone shed some light as to what the allowances per person is for bringing back clothes/gifts i had heard somewhere it was £145 dont know if this is true or even if thats per person.

We were hoping to take almost empty suitcases and buy lots of clothes and things out there and of course all the disney souveniers.

Any help on this very much appreciated.
Yes it is still £145 per person.

I have merged your post with a similar topic which may have some additional information and links.

Thanks Luci

acting thick now is that allowance for children too?
Not 100% sure, but as per the link above .....
If you are under 17 you cannot have the tobacco and alcohol allowances.

... that is taken from the HM Customs website and I read that as if an under 17 can have the goods allowance, but not the tobacco and alcohol allowance.

Perhaps you can call or email them to clarify on the telephone number or email address on THIS PAGE. If you do contact them then perhaps you can also ask what happened to the increased allowances that were supposed to come into effect earlier this year.

I emailed HMRC on 13 November and have just heard back from them.

In response to the question of when the increased allowance of £290 would take effect, the response was that they can find no mention an increased allowance. :roll: Pity I didn't include a link to the article above in my email.

Regarding the personal allowance, yes children also have a personal allowance of £145, but no alcohol or tobacco allowance. You are not allowed to pool your allowances to take back an item of higher value.

HTH

Thanks lucy, how mean is that how would you know how much you have spent anyway unless you add up every reciept/ how do they know how much you have spent?. Its still 300 dollars ish depending on the exchange rate.
I spent way toooooo much in Vegas last week including a new digital camera which wiped out my allowance easily let alone all the other goods I bought. So I took the tags off all the clothes, plus wore some home, threw all boxes/packaging away but left a few items with labels on to look more realistic should I be stopped.

I then posted ALL my receipts and the camera CD and booklets in an envelope and got the hotel to stamp it and send it to my home address :wink: As it happens we didn't get stopped but better safe than sorry I say :lol:

The allowance is very poor and very unfair, we wouldn't spend so much if we didn't live in rip off Britain surely ? Then they want us to pay tax on all our cheaper goods as a penalty......it makes me so mad :evil:
Holiday Truths neither recommends nor condones exceeding the set allowances.

Pippy :D
I think there is an EU dimension to increasing the allowances - which it is why it is taking so long to agree the increase and implement it.
Yes, it did increase

From about $200 to $300 with the exchange rate! :lol:
Remember if you are stopped it is up to you to prove you didn't buy items in the states rather than customs to prove you did.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.