Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
From around the Mediterranean Beach hotel on the seafront of Limassol would be considered as the Amathus area and out towards the Atlantica Bay hotel.

There are some ancient ruins on the left side of the coastal road where the new walkway runs along the sea, which are referred to as Amathusa.

CwB
thanks for that cyprus100 - do you know if there are decent tavernas etc down there? I remember years and years ago it was a nice area to walk around in the evening and to have something to eat etc.
Hi, sorry did not reply earlier - I don't login every day...

Sadly, we do not tend to eat out very much in the tourist areas as in comparison to local eateries in the outlying villages, we find they are overpriced and generally overrated.

There used to be a really good Lebanese restaurant on the road heading up towards the highway opposite the Elias Beach hotel but it closed down. It has now moved on the same street as the Ajax Hotel close to Linopetra traffic lights, which is about 2 main roads back from the seafront if you turn up by the Holiday Inn Hotel on the seafront heading towards the Old Town. It is now called Danny's Lebanese.

My favourite restaurant and the one we always head for if we want something special is called Neon Phaliron and it's on Glastonas Ave (not too far from the Public Gardens) and is not on the seafront. A little more expensive than we would usually pay but it is exceptional, not as dear as we thought it would have been the first time we visited it, which was a pleasant surprise. You can Google and visit their website. The staff tend to stay too, which is always a good sign.

Not sure if I can post links but this is a great website for eating out in Cyprus. This page will take you to the Limassol listings: http://www.cypruseatout.com/index.php?region=Limassol

CwB
Hi thanks for that Cyprus100 - really appreciate that!

Just one more thing - i dont suppose you know of a taverna called Famagusta Tavern (affectionally known as fama gees) in Evdhimou/Avdimou? - between Pissouri and Paralini? and if it is still open. We used to go there back in 1990 for a really cheap meals.

thanks again
Hi

I'm not sure of that one. We usually go to one by the beach.

I know there are 2 down there - one at each end....

We've always gone to the first one coming from Limassol side, which is the Kyrenia and the other I think may be called Melindra or something like that but haven't been to the one at the opposite end of the beach.

However, I did a google search and found this posting - but it's from 2007:

by rick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:43 pm

"i went to the famagusta tavern at avdimou last week, it is as cheap as chips, run down, and generally quite rough.
But the food was great, everybody made us very welcome and i'll be going again."

And this (posted 20 July 2009) from the Pissouri Village - edge of heaven website. So, looks like it is still there....

"There are the remains of other hanis on both sides of Pissouri: two on the way to Kouklia (Lakos tou Frangou (Well of the Franks) and another within the Aphrodite Hills complex) and another at Avdimou, which is now the Famagusta Tavern. Here you can really see the history of the era, because the high arches of the camel stabling are still there. A similar arch was recently demolished in Palio Scholio in the Village."

CwB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.