Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Another drowning
50 Posts
That is awful news Hapi. Must admit I love to swim and I always go out quite deep, this makes me think twice about it.
Both Morjim and Vagator are particularly dangerous.

The Chapora River makes the currents very unpredictable. I've had trouble just standing still in the water on the Morjim side of the estaury
I must admit that I thought Morjim was quite calm when I visited January 06. Much safer than Sinquerim.
That really is awful news.

I like to swim in the sea but I think that the current is far too strong for me (in Candolim).
Sitting on the beach, I've seen loads of people knocked off their feet with waves.
Some years ago, we saw a guy pulled from the sea unconcious, after medical assistance provided by a holidaymaker luckily he came round.
He'd been dragged from way further up the beach near Calangute.

Hapi, what do you suggest the Government do?
In countries where they have the flag system to show when it safe/not safe to swim, people often ignore this advice.
Even lifeguards would find it hard to patrol such long beaches.

Polly
I think I have to add something about all this. What I didn't appreciate before going to Goa is that these drownings are not usually UK tourists but usually Indians.

a Now I know that any drowning is total waste of life and blinking terrible but most Indians cannot swim!!! As you all know the undercurrents are extremely strong and can sweep a person out of their depth quite quickly. Most UK people can swim and therefore are able to swim back without problems. The Indians that are getting swept out are immediately covered by the next large wave and hidden from sight and drown.

I just thought it worth mentioning before setting off panic buttons eveywhere.
First I will address spinner. Yes it used to be that most drownings involved Indian nationals, groups of guys, too much alcohol, unable to swim, but, in the last few years many foreign tourists have also drowned, due, I think to the fact that they CAN swim but do not realise just how strong the currents can be on some beaches. I can swim, but only do so at south anjuna, which, outside of monsoon does not have the undertow that you find at ashvem, morjim, baga, calangute and candolim. The goa coastline is the only one I can think of that has no trained lifeguards. A couple of years ago the government was going to place lifeguards along the coast but had great difficulty finding anyone who could swim 50m, and as anyone who has ever tried to save a drowning person knows, being able to swim is not enough. They need to be equiped with an inflatable, and a rubber tube to throw to the person. Until this happens Goa is going to carry on having these unnecessary deaths each year. Problem as we all know is that the government is not willing to spend the money. Life is cheap in India.
When we were at Arambol this year the red flag was flying.

:( Few years back on Calangute Chilly's husband had to go and get some stupid Russians!!! They'd JUST seen someone being rescued from the sea ... then got up and went in at the exact spot!!! We couldn't believe them! Everyone sat bolt upright and sure enough within minutes they were in difficulties! :que ;) Chilly was none too impressed I can tell you and I won't repeat what she said! :)
I think you've just said it all, Betty Boop.

No matter how many signs and flags there are advising you NOT to swim, somebody will do it anyway.
Some people just seem to leave their common sense at home when they're packing for their holidays.

You only have to go in the water up to knee-deep (certainly where we go on Candolim Beach at Stringfellos shack) to realise that the current is very strong.

Polly
Baga beach had two life guards on duty all the time we were there recently - they had a bay watch type high chair and carried the rescue floats...same at Mandrem beach this year....
I saw a lifeguard sitting at Baga Beach in November but nothing in March. He was sitting between the Silver Sands and St Anthonys Shack.
I think knee deep is high enough as well, the current is very strong.
Eat my words....... :duh

Two UK people were drowned at Marjim and two Indians at Vagator Beach on Sunday night. :(

My condolences to their families.
This may be slightly :offtop but it's to do with the sea!!

This year I see some very scary near misses with Jet Skis in Candolim, I am amazed at how close to the shore people are riding them!! :really

One incident was so bad I felt physically sick!! A couple came in so close that they actually got stuck in the sand!! Whilst nearly taking out 3 or 4 swimmers (they literally had to run for cover)... everyone on the beach was shouting at them, there were no apologies they just quickly sped off!!
What I think is especially tragic about people drowning - not just in Goa but everywhere - is that there is quite often fatal consequences for someone else who goes to help, as it appears happened here (according to the SkyNews report).

It must be awful for something like that to happen to a member of your family so far from home.
How awful. They only lived a short way away from me too :(
More information can be seen here news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7336378.stm

Can't post the full link, seems I haven't got enough "posts" under my belt to post links and send private messages! Argh!!

On a sidenote, I would be very grateful if somebody could answer my following question.

Hopefully I'll visit Goa as part of my Indian trip in 6 weeks time, and by the looks of it, swimming in Goa seems a risky business, does it apply to all Beaches in Goa, or just a few?

And why is it prohibited to swim in some places? Seems bizaree that the current is so strong near the beach.

Many thanks!
I would be amazed if swimming is actually prohibited anywhere other than very sensitive locations ie. military or prisons etc. - India just isn't that sort of place. Even if it is I doubt it's enforced. Might well be advisory only not to swim.

Not all beaches have strong currents and not all of them have strong currents all the time. I guess it depends on all sorts from sea temperatures to moon phases and weather conditions. I would think there's a time of day issue here too as I've been in quite rough seas at Ashvem which have sudddenly dropped to almost dead calm as the sun sets. The sea also seems to get much much choppier in the afternoon particularly if you're sailing north along the coast.

Certainly running north from Candolim the currents seem to get steadily stronger until you get to about Ashvem where they seem to drop off again.

South Goa generally seems much safer in my opinion but then I've only been to a handfull of beaches down South
Hi Elsi

If you are planning to visit Goa in 6 weeks it will be the start of the monsoon season! it would be very unwise to consider swimming at that time of year
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.