Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
My wife and I did something similar. Does then make one think of the stupidity of giving porters at the airport a £1 coin for really nothing.
I agree, but they do collect all their £1 coins and eventually convince a tourist to exchange them all for a note!
Although i gave our room boy a decent tip on our departure he was happier with the towels and toiletries and all the bits and bobs i would have otherwise thrown in the bin. :D
:wave hi sunnypop i think it was so good of you to give your room boy things that you did not want to bring home ......we always do that like you say just to see the look on his face says it all :lol: we also bring a few extra t shirts and give them to the lads who work in the beach shacks......they are only shirts that my hubby and son no longer want but the lads are so happy with them especially football...and brand name ones ..........I always say when you do a good turn it comes back to you another way :lol:
your right Irishcolleen the look on his face was great i plan on bringing a few more bits with us next time.
We did the same Goldilocks. We built up a great rapport with the maid at the apartments where we stayed and gave a small weekly tip to her as well as giving banana's, papya, bread etc as we were long stay. When other tourists used to leave toiletries for her we used to show her with hand movements what you should use them for. Diocalm was a little tricky!

After a few months, she invited us to her and her husbands wedding anniversary. We promised we would go (my friend wore a sari for the first time) and we were amazed at the small corregated shack that they lived in and the efforts they made for us. They dressed really smartly and put an outside table for us with hanging lanterns. All the neighbours and children dressed really smartly too and came to meet us, they got us a cold beer from the shop as soon as we arrived and then shoved some cake in our mouths so that was a suprise (but a local tradition). They also paid extra for boneless chicken and made a lovely chicken rice dish.

They live in a small corregated shack with a dirt floor, no bed, no running water or toilet (with a cd player and good collection of hindi pop) alongside lots of other families building a new hotel and share the water from a well. Luckily she and her husband speak a bit of english so were able to chat about a few things.
We really enjoyed it and at the end of our visit took vitually all of our clothes, toiletries and books to give. It does make you realise how greedy we are in many parts of the world and how much we consume.

Sunnypop - if you fly with Monarch or the charters email them first to ask to bring a charity bag. We did that and they gave us 5kg each extra - we put 10kg of clothes in a black bin bag which were all greatfully received over here. Tried again this time with Air India and Deccan who both said had to stay within their weight limits and no extra allowed.
:wow hi matti what a wonderful story it does make you think how we all take things for granted.....I think everyone should bring a few wee things extra no matter how small someone in goa will have use for them..even if you give them to the kids at the side of the road or older ones for that matter ......I have read on h/ts some staff at the hotels are not allowed to have the things we leave.......I know in the carribean you have to make a list of what you have left
but sure if we had to make a list im sure we all would :lol: :lol:
A wonderful story Matti!
we had a bit of a problem with this at our hotel, a greedy managers wife !! no toiletries or clothes or anything could be given the the boys who cleaned our rooms everything had to be given to her at the end of the stay. Even down to her ordering the boys to go down our bins to retrieve things we had thrown away. The boys made it quite clear that if they were caught keeping anything then their job was on the line. I wouldt mind but she was hardly poor !! It has made us serioulsy reconsider staying there again.
Great tip Matti will do that next time. :D
The last couple of years we have become very friendly with Servita (one of the fruit girls who works between Baga & Calangute) she was recommended to us by a friend who has been going for about 20 years and has seen her grow up. Because we buy from her every day, we also get her drinks and get her to come and sit in the sahde for a while, she looks after us too and lets us know who is genuine and who is not. The first time we went she invited us to her house and I felt humbled which sounds so patronising because it wasn't like that at all but I learned so much from her.
In November when we were there again she kept inviting us every day and I really didn't want to put her and her family in a position where they felt like they had to push the boat out for us so we left it right until the last evening. She insisted upon doing traditional henna on my daughters' hands and braiding their hair (Blonde!) painting their nails etc when I went to pay her she was horrified. I had taken lots of gifts which I thought would be practical and also some I thought might offer her some luxury. As she does nails as a side line I'd brought a really nice manicure case and a case with all different colour polishes in from the Uk. She kept saying I will look like a real professional girl now I can go into hotels so I was glad that I'd made her happy and although she wouldn't take any money from me I felt like I hadn't abused her either.

I think her Mother fancies my 16 year old son for her 16 year old daughter she kept pushing them together and saying they look handsome - and winking at us. My son's face was an absolute picture I can tell you but that's another story! :love
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.