DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Hi, Daltons is, I am sure part of Daltons Weekly magazine which has a large selection of holiday lets. We have booked Villas privately before direct with the owners through various other websites and never had a problem. I am not sure what kind of protection you have really as private rentals are not ABTA bonded. There are other sites you could look at like for example http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk and http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk just to give you some more ideas. Maybe ask them if they have any feed back from previous guest to put your mind at rest. Hope this helps.
Hi sonias.

Thank you for your advice. Will certainly look at those sites you suggested. The main reason i am being a bit more careful is as it seems not to be the owner we are in contact with. The girl who has replied is listed as the contact name for other villas on this particular site and on others and the cheque isnt payable to a person , its to a company, so hence why i just am being a bit careful.

Thanks for any more comments.

sarah
Sarah

As your queries isn't specific to Menorca I shall move it to our DIY forum where it may reach a wider audience.

luci :wave
Sorry, sould have been more clear in my original post, the villa in question is in Cala n Porter in menorca.

Sorry!! :whoops
Sorry I wasn't clear either. What I meant was that it is a general private booking question and members who have made such a booking in other areas may be able to advise hence my reason for moving it.

luci :wave
Sarah

A deposit of £200 would be normal practice when booking privately through an owner. This somewhat protects the owner in case you will cancel. Travel Agents do this also. In the process you are probably saving a good few bob and will occupy a place far superior to what high street Travel Agents would provide.

Obviously, for you there is a degree of risk. But, remember the owner is taking a risk also, and probably a bigger risk than you imagine. He/she does not know you and what damage you or your party could do to the apartment.

I say this not meaning to cause offence.
Leprosy

No offence taken at all. Completely understand what you are saying. We have just never booked this sort of holiday before and are just being a bit careful, especially in view of whats happened to XL today, it make you wary of doing a DIY holiday.

Oh well, fingers crossed, i think we have decided to take the plunge and give it a go.

Thanks

Sarah
I don't know if anyone has flagged this up before but the group which own several listing sites including Owners Direct promise to refund any money you've paid to an advertiser on their site if it subsequently turns out that the advert is a scam or the property doesn't exist.

Obviously it only covers bookings made through their site and you have to register your booking within 7 days of making it but it could give a little peace of mind, especially to first time renters.

http://guaranteeuk.homeaway.com/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.