Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Prices on the face of it are unchanged, petrol is in fact slightly cheaper, most groceries are duel priced, any hiking of prices is supposed to be dealt with severely, yes that is what is supposed to happen, the wife says prices have risen very slightly and we think due to rounding off cents to euros, I dislike the new euros currency personally as it looks and feels like Monopoly money, also you need twice as many of them, and it feels like bills are twice as much, but this is not the case.

The sterling exchange rate is another matter altogether, and those living here with pensions from the UK are being hit hard, but nothing you can do about this, as exchange rate will always fluctuate with the £ sterling, we hope here that the UK goes over to the euro, but unlikely we feel..

They had no choice here to go into the euro denominations, but as a full time punter here I hate it..
The official Cypriot bank rate for the changeover is one euro = CY£0.585274. However, as the British pound has been dropping against the Euro since September 2007, it might appear to us Brits that prices have gone up, whereas we are just getting fewer Euros for our £.
Thanks for the help :) By the time i go away in June the £ against Euro will be alot better as its a slow few months for the Economy. Think at moment its around 1.27Euros for each £
Im glad someone has said something about this because ive been thinking about it latley. :)
My parents live in Cyprus and they said you can still use your Cyprus£'s untill late June.. is this correct jim or anyone else who noes?. because were off soon & just intrested to know. :)
thanks.
courtneelouise.
you can spend CYP till end of june there after you can exchange at a bank for a further year..
They run in parallel until the end of January.

After this any unused notes or coins can be exchanged at the banks.

Kath x
It is a fact that only banks will exchange the old Cy£ until mid 2008, but you cant spend Cy£'s in the shops here, you will be needing these horrible €'s
Thanks for the clarification Jim.

Kath x
Thanks for that Kath & Jim.

Jim does €'s seem a big difference in life now?. does anyone know what the exchange rate is at the moment , just wondering no worrys if no one knows :)

courtneelouise.x
There are many exchange rate websites out there that will give you the correct sterling to € rate, it will only change of course when the £ sterling rises or falls, at the moment the exchange rate is poor, but it could of course get worse in this current climate persists.

As to how the new €'s feel, well a little like funny money, and you seem to need twice as much of it than the old Cy£, this is an illusion though as prices here so far have remained steady, although it does not feel that way.

http://www.xe.com money converter..

p.s good news is the sun shine is free.. ;o)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.