Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
welcome.... Feb is a great time to visit the pyramids.... but if you do the day trip, please bring a fleece with you.... you will be in Cairo by 7.30 in the morning and it's cold, especially up at the big mosque. Best to bring a back pack or light bag with layers of clothes . Please make sure you wear covered shoes like trainers etc, other wise you will get sand and grit in your feet at the pyramids, and cold toes.!!!!!

A light jacket/sweat top in the evenings at Sharm will be fine.. It rained last feb, very heavy for 1 day....... pools can be cold, but there is usually a heated one. You will be able to sit in the sun etc! Don't worry!
Thank you for your replys,I will take note of what you said, I think getting christmas over and done with, finding I got the holiday so soon it freak me out a bit, am sure I will love it its been a place I have wanted to visit for a long time, the trip tp the pyamids is pricey if you go by plane,(were all classed as adults) (just reseach i have done) have any one done it by tour bus,

just realized my husband passport only got 3 mths left on it , I change mine last november when I went to New York. so thats another job to be done.
bus
bus trip is fine..... about 6 hours to cairo.... no motorways, and you pass all teh oil refineries.!!!!! Coaches are comfy and teh overnight in Cairo is great! You actually get to spend more time in Cairo this way.

I travel to Alexandria from Sharm via Cairo regularly and cope on the public bus for 9 hours..... so 6 on a tour operators bus is nothing.

Its well worth it...get a good pocket guide book. The chaos of Cairo is something else... you have to experience the sights and sounds.

The priority passport service only takes around 7 working days if you are lucky..... depends where your local office is!!!
hello,
we went out the same time last year with our 5 year old son and liked it so much we've booked again for the february half-term.
don't know much about your hotel, but ours, crowne plaze was excellent and we couldn't fault the staff.
highlights of sharm for me was:-

* the weather - 80's every day but can get a bit nippy once the sun goes down

* the snorkelling - absolutely superb. a different world and the water was quite warm ! even in february

* downtown sharm. buzzing at night. we tended to go to the bus stop bar or the hard rock cafe (1/2 the price than the manchester hrc). there's loads of restaurants on the main drag and on the beach front

if you are thinking of doing the cairo trip then you will need to purchase a visa on arrival at the airport. we didn't bother with a visa last year as we were 'sinai only'. be a bit wary of people offering to carry your luggage after you arrive. if you can do it yourself then thats fine.
the taxi rides into / from sharm back to your hotel are an experience in itself but they're really friendly as were 99% of the locals i met. make sure you agree a price before you get in. thats important.
i was a bit like yourself when we first booked last year but the week we had has convinced us that sharm is now our regular winter destination. even the bombs in the summer has'nt put us off.
enjoy your stay. don't forget your snorkel & mask. you won't regret it !
Thank you so much for your replies, am feeling so more better for them,
I read some where thats lots of stuff in shops are marked up in american dollers, is this a problem, when we went to Turkey every thing was in euros, and they rather you pay in euros rather ,then turkish lira, so do you all take E.pounds and trevel checks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.