Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Any shacks yet?
21 Posts
From what I have heard the shacks are under construction. I haven't been to the beach since the day after we arrived two weeks ago so cannot say for certain.

They should be ready by the time you arrive.
KatieP wrote:
From what I have heard the shacks are under construction. I haven't been to the beach since the day after we arrived two weeks ago so cannot say for certain.

They should be ready by the time you arrive.

Goodness Katie, thought we were the only ones who could survive this way for a couple of weeks................or months.............or longer :rofl
It's a case of having to Botany Bay. We have an apartment that we rent out and it's the start of the season so lots of post-monsoon cleaning to do to freshen up the place ready for guests. I usually end the holiday depressed and grumpy that once again we haven't had a break, but I'd rather be doing the housework here than in the UK.

Last day today as we fly home tomorrow morning so will check out the beach in a while. Packing almost done.
Most of the shacks are up and should be open from tomorrow [tues] but not good news on the beds.
only 5 sunbeds per shack unless the rules are not changed.Also all beds must no be further away from the shack than 3 metres, Not good for anyone really,lets hope theres a change in the very near future,
Just back from spending this afternoon on Candolim beach. The shacks are under construction and some are operating but in a clandistine manner.

The officials haven't yet been around to inspect the shacks and check that they are complying with the terms of their licences so they are not supposed to be trading at all yet. Shack owners are not impressed with the BJP.

We had a couple of beers in Dreamers shack and the shack next door was also trading but not all sunbeds out. There were quite a few shacks open at the end of beach road including Spotty's but as Split says, only 5 sunbeds each, not pairs.

The majority of shacks are still just a shell.

The upside to all this was that no shacks had music so you could hear the waves, a bit like it used to be a few years ago.
If the new government intend to enforce the five beds per shack it will be the end of their tourist trade. The vast majority that visit Goa on a regular basis do so for a beach holiday of which the shacks and sunbeds are an integral part. Certainly in our case it will mean that this holiday will be the last one in Goa bringing to an end about a quarter of a century of unbroken stays there. I am at a loss to understand the new Goverments take on this, they seem to have little notion as to what brings the tourists here. Other long haul estimation must be rubbing their hands at this. Goa has gone down in a few short years from UK charters in the high teens weekly to about seven or so and the missing thousands of two weekers certainly have not all opted for scheduled flights as for a two week stay they are not a viable option, either financial or from a time factor. It's all very sad, not least for the shack owners who will suffer a huge loss financially.
Alan
Can anyone out there at the moment clear up something about the numbers of sunbeds?
There have been many mixed reports published in the press...

Some say just 'five beds', whereas others say 'five pairs', which seems more likely(?).

What is the actual truth, as far as can be seen at the moment?
Well I didn't book Goa to sit around a hotel pool all day. I want the beach experience and lying on a towel is not part of it. Of course, this benefits the hotels, doesn't it?
Very true Fiona, over the years I have become more and more convinced there is a hidden agenda at work between vested interests such as the hotels and the goverment over the shacks. Year after year it's the same story, whatever goverment is in power. As we all know corruption is to be seen at all levels, there can be no other explanation for the constant drive every year to handicap the owners. Another factor is that apart from the owners the vast majority of the shack staff are from out of state and the money they earn and save goes home to their families in other parts of India. Certainly maney Goans have little time or regard for those workers.
Alan
Francis at Dreamers shack said 5 pairs of sunbeds today but at any shack I saw just 5 individual beds max. Mind you, as I said they officially should not be trading yet and I think that if they get a tip off that the authorities are going to pay them a visit they can move everything round the back of the shack more quickly.

Francis also said that he has tiles on his shack kitchen floor but the authorities don't like this and he won't rip them up so when he knows they are coming he covers the tiles with sand and sweeps it off when they have gone.
Ganesh shack open today. 5 pairs of beds for any shack isn't enough, but as seen in previous years they put what they want out and wait for a phone call that the 'brown shirts' are coming and remove what they have to.
If this season they are being very strict by this (not booked anything yet, so will look out for reports on what's happening) then I will agree more and more Europeans will be put off going.
Like most, we ain't pool people and the sand is a no-no, and we won't pay silly money getting there to have our enjoyment spoiled. I just can not understand the reasoning behind the dumbness they come up with year after year.
Got my eye on a couple of very affordable European holidays for 2013, so no idea what to do at the moment.
Love Goa, the shack, food, people, atmosphere, so why do they want to finish us off ?
There will be ten of us in Candolim from 5th Feb. Five bed rule would make it very difficult for us to sit together and the thought of traipsing up and down the beach everyday trying to accomadate us all is ridiculous. The shacks will lose out and the hotels will be the only ones making money. Could be Thailand for 2014!

:que
Spoken to my friend on Calangute beach (13/11) near the Golden Heritage.
Only 5 beds officially allowed, there are no sellers around and you cannot get a massage on the beach. Looks like you have to go inside. Shacks are not allowed to approach anybody passing by to entice them in. The watersports have moved from outside the Heritage upto Candolim.
This season I am not going until early Jan so we will see if they stick to the rules by then.
You need an entrepeneur who sets up shop next to the beach selling sunbeds on a "buy back" deal, who will store them overnight. That way you can plonk your sunbed where ever you want. Perhaps the shacks should get together on a joint venture ;)
You couldn't make this up could you?
looks like all the shacks are open now in Candolim,and most have 5 permanent unbrellas and ten beds
many have more than that, upto 18 beds but small portable type unbrellas, but they can be asked to remove them by police. there are still no sellers on candolim beach. Theres talk of maybe a compromise with the amount of beds after november 20th so fingers crossed. :tup
Had an E mail this morning from Anthony at Claudina's shack advising us to bring our own sunbeds!!!
Although I do take off and travel while in Goa a large part of my holiday is spending time at the shack eating food and chilling out with the great group of people i meet there.The sunbed rule would seriously impact on that. Im not going to worry yet as every year there is always something that everyone is stressing about. Fingers crossed by march this will all be sorted..... If not then I need to look at my options. I dont think i will ever stop going to India, I love the country and the people but its tempting to go somewhere you are actually wanted ;) :sun2 :sun2
we booked our fights using airmiles and so it is easy enough to change if need be. I hope we don't have to but will watch out for reports
Apparently the Calamari had loads of sunbeds out yesterday, although according to a reliable source they are not officially allowed to have any beds at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.