Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
There is an automatic 15% added for service on all drinks. If you are lying by the pool and a waiter comes by, he will take your order, walk to the bar, pick up your drink and deliver it back to you. For that service, you will pay the grand sum of 15% of your drink... :) The same applies to all lounges, you are not expected to have to walk up to a bar and wait to get your own drink, although you can if you wish.

Gratuities- the recommended amount is in your cruise information. Usually around $10 pp per day- This daily charge will be distributed amongst your Cabin Steward , your Waiter and assistant waiters. They receive only a very basic amount in monthly pay, the remainder of their salary being made up of gratuities. They should only be reduced or removed if you find the service entirely unsatisfactory, which on a cruise is not likely.. With very few exceptions you will receive service that is friendlier,and superior to any in a land based vacation. You can also add tips to that amount, but the gratuities are really more of a service charge, not really 'tips' as we think of them.
Bon Voyage,you picked a SUPER ship.
thanks for that. Is it true i can opt out of the tipping and opt to pay myself at the end of the cruise. I was told if i went to the pursors desk at the start of the cruise then we can do this. I know it is the american way to tip but i feel it is up to me who and how much i tip after all they are adding on a percentage of the drinks. I feel strongly that it should not be up to the guest to subsidise the employees wages and they should be paid accordingly by the company. I dont like to be made to feel im obliged to tip and then made out to be a skinflint if i dont after all the cruise has cost us a small fortune to start with and dont want the added worry of a large bill at the end. Diane
It always seems puzzling to me that people go abroad and then complain because things are done differently, people are not paid the way they are in England etc ... when in Rome.
You are not subsidizing the employee wages- the gratuity system is how they are paid. They will look after you very well for the duration of your cruise, clean your room, wait on you at tables, help you when needed, and they are gracious as they go about it.
If it doesn't bother you to then go and remove your gratuities after they have done all that then there's nothing I can add.
I get your point, but I remember years ago when I used to do waitressing, I was always pleasant, I looked after the customer made sure they had what they wanted, waited on their table and much more, and I got paid for it of my employer very rarely did we get tips and nor did we expect them , to up our wages ,my point being just because someone is from another country it doesnt mean we should subsidise their wages cos after all that is exactly what we are doing, as it is noted these staff are very poorly paid. This is an american company and as we all know america is not a poor country so therefore they should pay their staff accordingly, and let us decide if we want to tip or not. Diane.
Food service and cabin service are from the gratuities its a good deal and the amount should already be in your budget.

Drinks service from the 15% (ignore the fact they seperate out the 15% it there for clarity and to save tax for the employees)

If you paid a small fortune you may have paid too much,
most of our cruises work out cheaper than a B&B with 2 extra meals a day in the UK.

In the US service staff can be paid less than min wage because they get tips.

Why pick a ship then start moaning about the cost structure.

There are plenty of tips included cruise options out there you could have chosen.
I just feel very sad for the employees- they have to work with this system and our opinions don't alter that fact. It would upset me tremendously to find I worked all week taking care of someone to find they didn't pay my gratuity because they didn't approve of the payment system. :que or was just trying to save money at my expense.
Totally agree with di39. People will always disagree about tipping/gratuities, I have always been against, I feel staff should be paid what their job is worth and not leave it up to customers to top up. If this means the cost of cruising goes up slightly then so be it, at least everything is then black and white in what you pay.
It is already in black and white, the recommended gratuities for each cruise are clearly listed on your cruise documents.
Not really, you pay the cost of the cruise and that is it, no further payment required. With gratuities/tipping it is voluntary so you will always get people in doubt as whether they should pay it or not. As I said people will always disagree on this.
I agree with beegee when I booked my cruise, I did not get told about 15% gratuity, and I also wouldnt mind paying a bit more and then not having to worry about it afterwards. It is not a case of moaning as someone suggested, I have paid quite a large amount for the cruise which I dont mind so why should I have to pay more when I get there. There will always be a difference of opinion over this and I am entitled to mine, but I will say that the companies should not rely on the guests to top up wages and no matter what way you try and butter it up that is exactly what is happening. If we were all to take windjammers advice and opt for a cruise that doesnt do this, then some of the cruise companies could be in big trouble if we took our business elsewhere as he suggested.
You get charged the 15% on drinks no matter if waiter served or you go to the bar yourself, also if your point of embarcation is Spain you will also be charged spanish tax on top.

We have been on AOS in May out of Barcelona, it was a great cruise, all the staff were extremely polite and helpful.

Regarding the tips, we opted for prepaid gratuities, we even topped up the waiters, as he was superb, even making time for the kids and any alteration to meals for them were no hassle. If you go for the anytime dining you have to prepay gratuities, don't know why!!

The ship is excellent, plenty of activities around the main pool area which can get loud. Be warned over sun loungers when at seas, they don't seem to have enough for everyone!! There were reports of arguments between guests if they felt they'd been reserved or not occupied for over 30 mins.

Have a super cruise, just ask if you want any more info.

Rob
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.