Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
you can just tip with one pound coins the tunisians will accept them ,they expect to be tipped for everything.
Hi edamslave - as trasjoho says, you will find that all the people you meet will be more than happy to accept English coins as tips, despite the fact that they cannot change them at the banks and hotels. I know this to my cost, as I actually spend 6 months exchanging them for dinars and consequently come back to England with vast quantities of coins in my handbag! Have a lovely holiday. Jenny x
An alternative is to smile and say 'maa andee faloos' (I have no money) which I said to the lady toilet attendant at Monastir airport on the way home yesterday. I had spent 2 dinars on coffee there (cheaper than paying in sterling) and had no intention of giving her a 5 dinar coin!!
hi i came home with 10 dinars which i should have declared but forgot i had it would it have been ok to use it at the airport i was worried incase i was reported i will know next time my friend paid £950 for a sandwich which was priced at 6 dinar
£950 for a sandwich :yikes what filling did your friend have
£9.50 it was inedible couldnt work out what it was
Whatever it was it was a rip-off as you realised. 6 dinars is less than £3 so that was quite a mark-up. I saw another English lady paying a high price in sterling and the man on the counter actually looked at me and admitted it was terrible but said there was nothing he could do - I saw him check the sterling price against a sheet of paper before he charged her. My cup of coffee at 2.200 dinars wasn't too bad as the hotel charged 1.500. and you always pay more at an airport.
Hi edamslave - although in theory - as the Dinar is a closed currency, you shouldn't take any left over cash out of the country, but no-one is going to get into trouble for the odd dinar or 10! Along with many regular visitors to Tunisia, I always bring a bit of cash home with me, so that I don't have to go to the bank on arrival. In all the years we have been living there, I have never been asked if I have any left over cash at the airport - although my Tunisian friend from Cambridge, always gets asked and has had it confiscated!! :( Jenny x
We paid with dinars in the airport as well, and we brought a few dinars home for hubby's coin collection. When we arrived one chap actually asked us for a £1 coin as a tip - what a cheek :que
Take a few single US dollar bills with you, this did the trick for us in Egypt as we had no small Egyptian notes in the currency we got from the UK exchange place.
Some years ago in Cyprus, after a serious delay at the airport and having no English or Cypriot money, I paid for some drinks with a mixture of US and HongKong dollars which were tucked into the back of my passport. :rofl
We were asked if we had any dinars when we went through security and my dad had his wallet searched (fine as we had already changed all notes and given coins to our bus driver).

I tipped with £1 coins before I got currency.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.