General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I think you will find that your iPlayer application will not work without an internet connection - ie on the Thomson flight. And I seem to remember that iPlayer was blocked from working outside the UK.
I've got a Galaxy S2 - with a 16Gb microSD card installed, I can save about twenty full length movies on it for watching on flights. And the battery life is fine for maybe 5 hours of video provided you do not set the screen at high brightness (and turnoff WIFI -which you are required to do on an aircraft anyhow)
To convert DVDs to Galaxy format use something like Handbrake software.
Sorry - just found I've given you wrong info. Apparently now you CAN view PREVIOUSLY downloaded iPlayer video without internet connection. - this links says so

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/downloading/
Many thanks Bill, I thought I'd read somewhere on the BBC site before I installed the app that you could use it on a plane. I'm such a technophobe though that I'm a bit scared lol
Have found a film on Iplayer that I'd watch on the flight, anyone know how to download it to my phone? (told you I'm a numpty). I thought when I brought the film up on the phone that I'd be able to tap download but can't see it :duh
Graham, since I bought the Ipad I've hardly used it, son always seems to have it in his mitts.

Would it be easier to download onto Ipad or just the same?

I wasn't going to take Ipad as there's no wi-fi and am only going for 5 days :think
Graham, since I bought the Ipad I've hardly used it, son always seems to have it in his mitts.
Would it be easier to download onto Ipad or just the same?

It is a doddle to download on to iPad via the iPlayer, find your film and click download and it automatically downloads when you are connected to wi-fi, I have just downloaded the Lara Croft one and it took me less than 2 minutes and it is then playable vie the downloads tab at the bottom of the screen :tup

Remember it is only available for 7 days after the first time you hit play or 30 days from the download.
Aww thanks Graham will go and give it a try. It was the Lara Croft one I was going to take as that was the only one that you seemed able to download at the moment. :tup
It was the Lara Croft one I was going to take as that was the only one that you seemed able to download at the moment.

I can see 4 to download

I've Loved You So Long
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Made in Dagenham
Management
- which I have also now downloaded for Mrs Kiltie

Bat 21 isn't available to download :(
When I was on Iplayer on PC there was Racing for Time which I fancied but can't download (Something about it just being published). Colour of Night can't be downloaded either.

Have downloaded Lara Croft :tup and I've loved you so long, (just so I've a couple on there as may want one for on the way home)

Made in Dagenham I've seen. Don't fancy Aviator. Have seen Lara Croft and it's more hubby's type (wonder why :think ) So might have another look before we go to see if there's anything else available.

Much easier on IPad Graham thanks :tup Now I'll just have to go out and buy a cover for it :duh
Also Graham I seem to remember it saying on Iplayer that you should watch the first few seconds is this correct?
Also Graham I seem to remember it saying on Iplayer that you should watch the first few seconds is this correct?

:que Sorry Glynis I haven't seen that mentioned, but then again being a man I didn't read the instructions :D
I've got the Galaxy S3 and find it to have the best battery life of any of the four smartphones I've owned.

I often make full use of my S3 when I'm at gigs (use it all day in queues using Facebook etc, then take pics/video and upload them) so I always take a spare battery. I highly recommend these two items, both of which I have :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008PS2BME/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0089TC4LW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is my first smartphone Pips so am not used to the drain on the battery compared to my other phones. I wasn't particularly bothered about a smartphone as, really I'm just a text, and occassional phone user but hubby got me it for Christmas & I'd feel too guilty if I didn't use it. :(

He bought me a Kobo ereader the year before & I already have a kindle :duh So it's been in the wardrobe ever since & I'm racked with guilt over that :sulk
Thanks for the links I'll take a look :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.