Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Aqua parks
19 Posts
Zoomarine is open 10.00 - 18.00 until end October - all the others are now closed.

http://www.zoomarine.pt
You really are a treasure cubsor. Many thanks. :wave:
Just to let Cubsur know that Slide and splash in Lagoa was still open for business on 11 October.
I went in to book zoomarine and was offered tickets for slide and splash at the same time.

My 10 year old Grandson was thrilled to bits. I was not as he dragged me onto all the slides.
I should have backed down when I read the warning signs for the Anaconda. The sign read
"not recommended for people with heart problems or people over 55 years of age".

I am only 2 months away from my 55th Birthday, but not wishing to be a wuss in front of a rather dishy young lifeguard, I went ahead despite the warnings.

I thought the ride would never come to an end, and I saw my life flash before me.
Just before the end, and as I glimpsed daylight, the slide widened out, and I spun around entering the water
upside down, and back to front, swallowing what seemed like half a pool-full of chlorinated water.
I survived, (just about) but oh, the humiliation!!!!
I looked up after realising I had survived, only to see 4 young lifeguards having a good laugh at an old lady's expense :rofl .
Sorry for any mislead about Slide n Splash - for future reference their website says it is open from 1st April until 29th October. I think that's later than in previous years to catch the half term market. Check for 2011 at http://www.slidesplash.com
You're a lot braver than me Pandy :yikes
Brillaint story about slide and splash pandy :rofl I am the same age to you and recently went to Alton Towers and braved a load of white knuckle rides with 'the teens' OMG I looked round in all the queues and I was so much the oldest person in all of them :rofl I have got to give them up, they now terrify the life out of me :yikes but I am one of those people who just doesn't like like to give in and age gracefully.

Went on a lot of things at side and splash three years ago.
If I'm totally honest doepsmc I paid full adult price to enter splash and slide,
and was pretty annoyed that I couldn't just pay a small entrance fee as a spectator.
I really didn't want to be a participant at my age, but seeing as it had cost me £23-00
to get in, I was bug***ed if I was going to just sit on the grass. (a sun bed would have set me back another 4e, flippin' cheek). I'd paid full whack, so I was determined to get value for my money :rofl
Just me making sure I got my money's worth again. I'm such a tight wad, and heaven knows what I must have looked like :pele
We were cheapskates as well and just put all our towels down on the grass. :rofl thats what all the Portugese were doing as well.

Where I was in Menorca this summer two sunbeds and a parasol were 24 Euros. Makes 4 seem like a bargain.

Its the same the world over with regards to how many/how few rides you go on, they make you pay all the same. I guess these places cost a fortune to run and they would all shut down if they didn't take a decentish entry fee off of everyone.

Sounds like you had a good time anyway, and I am a great beleiver in you are only as old as you feel.

Doe :wave:
we are in albufeira from 7-21 april, we have visited auqualand/show? in august several times but fancy visiting the zoomarina and slide and splash this time esp as it opens early in the season, BUT does anyone know what the water is like, eg is it heated at that time of year, lazy river etc dont want to be making a noob of myself, going on heart attack rides then when they end being dumped in -5 water :rofl
Sorry not visited aqualand

Mmmm. Regarding Slide and Splash my gut feeling is the water will be cold in April unless they purposely heat it, perhaps you could ping them an email to check ? It was cold enough in July. :yikes -thinking about the very large pool that is at the back of Slide and Splash, the little pools that you land in once you have come off a slide are not that large/deep so they shouldn't present such a shock to the system.

It would probably cost a fortune to heat that vast amount of water in some of the larger pools, so I guess they rely on it heating up as the summer goes on, or it being used by kids who just don't seem to care if their lips go blue !
We are out in Portugal end of May staying at the Vitor Apartments - Praia Da Vu, question is how far are is splash and slide / zoomarine from there, and if you had to choose one, what would your preference be? :tup
Slide n Splash is about 7 miles from Praia do Vau along the N125 road (avoids motorway tolls)

Zoomarine is much further, 18 miles or so.

Sorry I cannot recommend either as I don't do waterparks.
They are different. Slide and spash is a straight waterpark, lots of slides, a pool and sunbathing places.

Zoomarine is a marine park, with dolphin show other marine animal shows, think there was a parrot show and a few fairground type rides.

So if you have a preference for one kind or another I would pick that.

As you are going end May weather is something to consider. You could enjoy Zoomarine even if it wasn't baking hot, whereas you need good weather for slide and splash as you will be in swimming costumes all day.

If it is baking like in July and Aug the locals as well as holiday makers go to S & S so it came be heaving with people and its hard to find a blade of grass to sit on !
Hi, can anyone recommend a good water park near Albufeira (due to travel next week - 26/5).

Are there any deals to be had? there will be 6 of us - 2 adults, 2 kids + their friends - so could do with a good deal if one is available?

I seem to recall reading somewhere there are 2 waterparks in the Algarve, but might be wrong? Not sure if either is better than the other?

thanks!
There are three waterparks within half an hour's drive of Albufeira

Slide and Splash - already open
Aqualand - looks like they don't open till 6th June
Aquashow - says it opens on 1st June

The newest one is Aquashow and the reviews are very good - but I haven't been to any of them so can't recommend from personal experience. It may depend on how old your kids are. I think Aqualand may be better for smaller children, but maybe someone else can let you know whether that's right.

Don't know if there are any deals at the moment. Best thing would probably be to go to one of the ticket shops in the Old Town and ask there. If you're not hiring a car, I think the parks may provide free transport from Albufeira. The websites say you can book online in advance for a discount, but you may want to wait and see which days are better weatherwise once you're out there.

Zoomarine is a great day out too. We have been there! :wave
Slide n Splash and Zoomarine definitely run their own transport, with pickups in all the main tourist areas of Albufeira.
thanks roseweb & cubsur. Sounds good, just now finding the agent that gives the best rates
I would say Slide and Splash is regarded as best of the three water parks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.