Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Are we mad?
12 Posts
There are several topics in our General Enquries forum about going abroad with a baby HERE

Using the Search facility may find some in this and other forums.

luci :wave
Hi BS

My kids have grown up now, and we didn't go abroad with them when they were babies, but I have a few thoughts for you

Firstly your baby is probably quite a good age for a holiday abroad, because he/she is not a newborn any more, but won't yet be mobile, so will be quite happy in the buggy with periods of freedom to stretch out, kick about, have a dunk in the pool etc. This time next year, you'll need eyes in the back of your head to keep tabs on him/her.

Next, the week you are planning to go is a Bank Holiday weekend in England, and the English school term starts at the beginning of September roughly, so if you are able to delay your holiday a couple of weeks it seems to save about £70 each..........

We are going to Ibiza this summer for the first time, and my research suggests that Cala Llonga is a very small resort, so I hope somebody who has been there will be able to confirm if there are enough shops for your baby needs.

Have you thought about going to Mallorca? Alcudia has loads of supermarkets and is geared up to families. Another popular place is the Playa Mar in Puerto Pollensa which is Thomson Family Club and has Mothercare equipment and babycare packs (whatever they are!)

Hope you have a great time, anyway :)
Hi ,we first took our son when he was 8 months old,he's 15 now and it was easier then than the following year,make sure sure he has plenty of fluids,the pepeny sun shades look good but if you can't stretch to one of those you could take a white sheet and drape the pram with that whilst your baby is asleep.As suggested there are lots of tips if you browse the forums.

We went to Calla Longa the first time but didn't really need nappies or milk as we took our own,I can remember buying fromage frais from a supermarket there.T.
I would suggest going to Es Cana as Cala Llonga is a small and quiet resort, couple of bars and restaruants (depends on what you are looking for). Es Cana is still a small resort but very family orientated and a fair bit busier. Its has a great atmosphere and there are no lager louts (unless i'm there ;)!!) I took my family there last June and am going back in July this year. When I was there last June it was very hot but there were a few babies and they did not seem to be bothered by the heat. I have also been to the Balearics in September and it does cool down a bit but the weather can be a bit more unsettled. Whatever and wherever you go, you can't beat Ibiza. Great Island :)
No I personally don`t think that you are mad to take your child away on holiday.We first took our kids away when they were 17/18 months old and these were probably the best holidays that we had.I think the best tip that anyone gave us was to keep to a set routine.For example when we got up we used to go for a walk then come back to the pool for a couple of hours then put the kids down for a couple of hours for a nap.We then had a couple of hours to ourselves.At night my wife used to get ready whilst I took my kids for a hurl in the buggie and then I came back and got ready.We then went out to dinner and normally about 9pm our kids would fall asleep and we would have a quiet drink before returning to our hotel.Also most resorts sell everything that you need but we always packed nappies etc.I think that you also get 10kg of luggage allowance with an infant from most holiday companies.
dont forget, Spanish people have babies too!
you,d be mad not to go.

you will have far more freedom in taking a 6 month old baby than taking a 4 or 5 year old.

take her out at night in the buggy and chill out , and then once she,s back in the hotel in bed, take it in turns to go out to a late night bar.

and as its not a 4 or 5 year old your taking, you wont get pesetered alld ay for icecreams and shots on the bull or trampoline.
Hi

I don't think there is any reason not to go !

The only thing you might want to consider is baby milk. If your baby is bottle fed then it might be worth taking the formula he/she is used to. I seem to remember (many years ago) trying to change one of the kids milk and he wasn't a happy bunny for a while.

If you want to buy nappies and such like, then a 10 min bus trip into Santa Eularlia to a supermarket like Eroski where they will be a lot cheaper than in resort. Don't forget that baby will not have a luggage allowance but normally a pushchair/pram will be carried free.

Hope that helps.

John.

Edit: Luggage allowance for baby - that would be with budget airlines - as pointed out above, there may be an allowance with a package.
We went on a family holiday to Ibiza when our little granddaughter was only 18 weeks old and had no problems whatsoever. She was always well covered and between my daughter and son in law, my husband and self, brother and sister in law we were all well armed with all the necessities needed for a young baby. She really just needed fed and changed but have to say 1 year later when she had found her feet was much harder work! As a previous poster said you need eyes in the back of your head.

You should enjoy this year when the baby is so young as in my experience things change each year depending on the childs age. I have been through it all with 3 daughters and now 2 granddaughters.

Good luck with your choice of holiday.
You can also get those lightweight little tents that are sun protected and are ideal for babies having a nap if you want to go onto the beach. Here they are:- http://www.babyexperiences.co.uk/products.asp?product_id=165

I also think Es Cana would be a good choice.
I've been to Cala Llonga and it's a beautiful quiet and safe resort particularly if you have a baby. There is an array of shops seliing everything you'll need and a Pharmacy where the staff are very helpful should you need anything. The beach has beautiful soft sand and slopes gently into the water so you would be able to sit on the beach in the water with your baby!
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.