Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Are we mad?
12 Posts
cate_taylor,

You might want to consider what steve8482 has said in response to your post on the Volcanic Ash Closes Airspace thread.

Darren
Have seen the posts thanks. Praying that flight isn't cancelled.
To be honest yes you are mad! I wouldn't do the Holyhead- Norfolk bit with 5 month old twins, never mind the Irish leg.

the only sensible option is the Belfast -Liverpool ferry (assuming they have space).

Thursday night to Liverpool I reckon comes in at £186 including dinner for adults and a family cabin, arrives about 06:30 then train at 08:52 direct to Ely/Thetford/Norwich by 1413.

Or Friday day service, (food or cabin extra), £66 and stay in a Travelodge or similar then train on Saturday morning.

The ferry may be a bit dearer than the Holyhead route but the train fare will be less and there is far less hassle.
Now looking at ferry to Stranraer then train down using Stena's Sail & Rail deal which is £46 per adult, can do it in a day by leaving home 8am and my parents would be picking us up at Peterborough at 11pm, journey time to theirs just over an hour.

Will also look at the Friday daytime and cost of staying in a Travelodge and getting the train on Saturday.

The other option that I'm thinking about is that if airspace above Northern Ireland, Scotland and Northern England opens earlier than further south, we could fly into Leeds or East Midlands and go to Skegness before going to my parents.

Hubby has said he doesn't want to fly anymore and he doesn't like the idea of being on a ferry for 8 hours (have had a couple of crossings on the Ulyssess in force 7/8 and he had to go to the middle of the boat). I was fine though. I have pointed out that one of the rough crossings was in March very close to high spring tides.

The other possibility is if flight is cancelled to transfer to flight in a couple of weeks.
Travelling with children that age is mad, let alone what is happening at the moment with the volcanic disruption. Children don't travel well and having just(well last tuesday now) sat next to a 6month old crying for 12 hours all the way from Hong Kong I definately would wait a few years till you inflict them on the general travelling public.
Thanks jimbob. Both girls are very happy contented, easy going babies. They don't cry very often and when they do it's always for a good reason. I would be very surprised if they cried for the whole journey.
I would wait until flights are resumed,it will be so much easier and less stressful for you all,we travelled with our son when he was 7 months and had no real problems,it was easier than flying with him when he was older as he slept most of the time.T.
With airspace re opening tomorrow, I'm hopeful that we'll be flying on Friday evening. I know some of you are against parents flying with babies as young as ours and if you've had an experience like Jimbob, I can understand why. What hubby and I will do is to try and be near other families. If they cry during the flight, we will apologise to people closest to us and do what we can to settle the girls as quickly as possible.
I really wouldn't worry what other people think,we were all babies once and I believe it is only the odd few who would be disapproving.Babies cry sometimes,that's a fact.,but nothing to worry about.Be calm and your babies will be too,fractious parents make fractious babies.T.
If you get to go you'll be fine cate. We are onto our 3rd holiday with our 22 month old. Last year when he was 10 months we went to Dominican Republic. As we exited the aircraft at the end of the flight the lady in front said "I didn't even realise you had a baby". So it can be done!

L xxx
Well at least you wont get stuck with excess luggage charges. I am sure you will be fine. Lots of people have no choice and do it all the time.

Apart from the time it will take you might actually enjoy it rather than be stuck on a plane - if you manage to get on. The delays at the airports that will inevitably take place with the on/off situation that applies at present you could even find the journey takes less time.

Enjoy yourself.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.