General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Lexilex,

You say you don't fancy Spain but what about Portugal, in particular Albufeira which I think might suit you. Come over to the Portugal forum and have a look at this thread to give you an overview. The Old Town has a great atmosphere with lots of bars and restaurants in a lovely setting and two excellent beaches. For even more lively nightlife there is the Strip. There are fabulous beaches all along the coast which really are some of the best in Europe. The weather will be hot in early July and you'll be able to find all sorts of excursions including boat trips, water parks, jeep safaris etc.

Prices in bars and restaurants vary tremendously - you can eat very cheaply (and well) or splash out on really special food in romantic restaurants overlooking the bay.

Many budget airlines fly to Faro but I don't know how much two weeks in a 3* hotel would cost. If it sounds like it could be a go-er, you'll get lots of advice on the Portugal forum.
.........where can you fly from????

Robby :wink:
Thanks, shall go give the Portugal airport a look at once I've had a shower.

We can fly from Humberside (pref.), Doncaster, Leeds/Bradford, Manc, and at a push East Midlands or Birmingham.

After reading a topic on here about the Euro been so low at the moment I'm worried about going anywhere with that currency, saying that though the Turkish Lira has also gone down too.
What about Ichmeler in Turkey. It is the next resort along from Marmaris. Ichmeler has plenty to do, lots of bars, shops and restaurants, plus a nice beach - but best of all you can catch a Dolmus into Marmaris. The journey is about 15 minutes.
Re your worry about the Euro. If you do decide to give Portugal a go it has been established on various reports in the press & on the internet over the last year or so as the place your Euro goes the furthest. Don't know if that helps a bit.

As well as Albuferia, Lagos might be a good bet at the begining of July. It can be quiet out of season, but July and August it will be busy and have atmosphere. You can walk everywhere, although in the old town it is winding steets and cobbled so no good for those with walking difficulties and has a superb Marina. Enough bars and restaurants to go in a different one every night of the year. Tons of info on the Algarve forum.
Anywhere in Greece/Greek islands - Crete has some good deals around beginning July. You will get pretty bored doing 2 weeks in Pefkos. Why not consider a twin centre holiday if your budget fits.
Turkey again might be one of your best options for the time you want to travel and the price you want to pay. Cyprus if you can get the price would be an option.
A bit late for DIY unless you can get some cheap/ish flights.

If you are worried about your spending money stretching, why not put some of what you would have taken with you into going AI instead. Lots of really good all inclusive hotels about and being able to eat and drink whatever you wanted without counting the cost would make a pleasant change ( I remember my student days!! We go AI now for different reasons,the kids!) It doesn't necessarily prevent you going out to eat if you want to, but it does mean that your spending money doesn't have to go on necessities.

Pam :)
lexilex, have a look at Olympic Holidays http://www.olympicholidays.com/?engine=go!brand

They have some decent prices for the beginning of July from Humberside for 14 nights.
What I would advise is if you see something you like, get it booked. Not sure if it's just me, but there seem fewer bargains this year, maybe less choice. I normally get some silly prices from Kosmar for around mid May/early June, but these seem scarce this year, though there were some a few weks ago. I eventually got a cracking deal to Paphos via Libra for mid May, so I'm sorted. Hope you get fixed up, let us know what you booked.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

We've ended up booking a fortnight in Marmaris. I was reluctant to go to Turkey again, but my boyfriend talked my into it. Money goes so far there and when we are on a budget it seemed stupid to go anywhere else. Managed to get a 3* hotel with fantastic reviews for £360 pp, leaving on 7th July which I thought was a good deal really. Thought we could go across to Rhodes on a boat trip too and see what that is like for next year.

We did think about AI, but tbh we like trying different restaurants too much. Last year we stayed B&B, but hardly ever ate the breakfast so were eating out at least twice a day, had a few nights out, bought far too much (i.e. fake football shirts for the boyf which are now falling apart :rofl ) and still only spent about £1000 altogether during the full holiday. Obviously, this year we know what stuff not to buy, and the hotel is self catering so we have got basic cooking facilities so we can save that way.

Oh and we'll def be considering Albufeira for next years holiday, had a look and it looks gorgeous! Hopefully we'll have a bit longer to save up.

Anyway, thanks everyone again, only 104 sleeps :cheers
Glad you got something booked. Enjoy Marmaris, sounds like you got a brilliant deal.

Thanks for coming back on and letting us know what you booked. :sun2
Thanks for the update and I hope you'll have a fab holiday in Marmaris. Now you can relax and look forward to it ...... 104 ......103 ........!!! :hols
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.