Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
the nerest mastercard machine i know is at Aharavi not too far away as for Visa machines ..use the ATM locators in the wher to find an ATM thread near the top of the page

wizard
Information about ATM in Arillas.

edit to remove insecure web site...wizard
Hello Pleiades

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday in Arillas. There is good car hire there and several other car-hire companies also deliver to Arillas. There is a Travel Agent who will help out with any travel queries and also an ATM in the resort centre. You may be right about a local bus service though, which surprises me as there is one to the smaller adjoining resort of Agios Georgios. It is a 30 minute walk over the hill to Agios Stefanos and the path is quite safe (unless you are drunk or silly in one place) .

Have a good browse through the web-pages suggested by Kev where there is also an excellent Forum kept constantly up-to-date by Arillas regulars.

Your information is correct about the better exchange rate over there. We always take just a few euros for 1 day plus sterling cash and/or Travellers Cheques which can be easily exchanged in any hotel and reckon to save the cost of a meal out that way.

Although primarily about Agios Georgios you might find some useful information, contacts, and suggestions about places to visit at:
http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/suggestions.htm.
That resort is quieter than Arillas but when you have the car if you have kids and need somewhere to go on a wet day (in CORFU ???) you could take them to the Belle Helene Hotel in Agios Georgios. The hotel has a nice 2-lane modern ten-pin bowling alley plus quiet cafe and Internet Cafe, all very cheap. And don't miss visiting Dionysos taverna at nearby Afionas for superb views.

Have a good time. May is a nice time to visit.
Thanks to all of you for the really helpful comments. I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply.

Wizard - apologies that I registered/posted my query in haste before trying out the links such as the ATM one. I had finally managed time to book a holiday and came home to search the web before dashing off to school! Thanks also to Edbanger and yourself for the external link to ATM's - having read that Arillas have a new ATM I shall be packing my bank card!

Kev - Thanks to you also for the link - I did type Arillas and Corfu into google but found a totally different website which only advertised particular apartments rather than general info on the place. I have now had time to look at the Arillas website you recommended which is (another) great source of information.

iluvsangeorge - thanks to you also - I am hoping for lots of sunshine - but having two teens (well 12 +14) it is good to know somewhere which will provide entertainment if it does rain. I must say we are very lucky that our two still enjoy the beach and are happy to walk. I hope we will get to explore Agios Georgios and Agios Stefanos - probably on foot - but now we know there is also car hire available perhaps we can even explore further.

Just out of interest the Thomas Cook rep told us there was no car hire - what they really meant is there is no car hire they can make money out of. This is the great thing about websites and forum such as yours - we have always taken a tourist guide in the past but they are limited (and often out of date) - now we can really be up-to-date as to what to prepare for!! We have even found a website to learn some basic greek.

Thanks once again - we will keep checking for more info. :wave:
pleiades

It is amazing how little holiday companies know about their resorts. I was told similar when I first visited Corfu 15 years ago so booked a car for the week from the airport at great cost from an International company. When we got to Agios Georgios we found there were 2 car hire firms in the small resort !

That was one of my reasons for making the web-site.

On several occasions I have noticed photos of wrong resorts on web-sites and even last year in Thomsons brochure. The sales girl would not believe me.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.