Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Brilliant Chilly and very very interesting. More please .... looking forward to the next bit :tup
Ahh thanks Gemma.. :) .. night night for now
chilly x
I am really enjoying this and cant wait for some more. Im really interested in hearing about train travel stuff as we went to Hospet in January and I found it quite fascinating. Had to laugh at the essential cockroach spray as we took some with us but even after spraying everywhere I insisted on sleeping with the lights on. Snakes :yikes
Great report so far....loved reading it...keep it going.

Iain
Chilly - just what the forum needs just now. :tup
:tup Great report Chilly, looking forward to the next part.
Really enjoyed all that Chilly ,while sitting eating my breakfast[well porridge]been in Tenerife
for 2 weeks so a few pounds to lose :yikes
hope all goes well on your travel,s and have a great time :cheers
Ann
Excellent Chilly, really enjoying reading this, would love to see the pictures too :)
Hi thanks for the positive comments, would love to post the pics but not sure how to!!?? :duh next installment coming up!!!
Chilly x
Part 4 Delhi .. Hot Hot Hot

Delhi, India
Saturday, May 03, 2008 17:06

well thats a good start just lost everything i had written..lets try again!!!

Well so here we are in Delhi after some 25 hours on the train, which actually was probably the best train ride we have had so far in India over the years, and reasonably clean too especially compared to the one we took last year to Varanasi!! We had a nice Indian couple in the bunks opposite us who had been to Goa for 5 days holiday and were returning to Delhi.. WITH THEIR SMALL BABY!!! GREAT!! you all know how i just LOVE small squawky babies .....especially when they cry and you are trying to get some sleep, but to be fair he was really very good considering....and i didnt envy them, (i cant imagine us doing that journey both ways, for just 5 days with a small baby)

All our meals and drinks were included which were pretty frequent, mostly consisting of Dal, rice, Paneer curry and Kulcha (which is a bit like chapatti) pickle, curd and ice cream ... not too bad but a bit cold and unappetizing.... I could just kill a nice cup of English tea... Geeta where are you!!! (thats our maid in Goa for those of you who don't know LOL) there was only 4 of us in our section instead of the normal 6 (or 10,000!!) so we had room to move and got a reasonable nights sleep without all the usual shouts of 'Chai chai' tomato 'soup' 'samosa' etc that you generally get, as this train had very few stops to allow the vendors on at one station and off at the next as is usual..actually i like that in the daytime... Mick did jump out at one station as we were somewhere in Mumbai (Bombay) and we wanted to sample the mumbai speciality that these people had told us you wouldnt get anywhere else in India by the name of of...??? sorry, forgotten the name of it ... but its a bit like pakora (only different) squashed between two halves of a bread roll you also get a powder (reddish brown.. not chilly i dont think?) with it and a couple of fresh chillies all delightfully presented in some newspaper!!it was good but the chillies were red hot... but I was so worried that Mick wouldn't get back on the train in time as they seem to shoot off quite quickly without much warning and i feared i might end up on my own in Delhi! so had a few panicky moments and was relieved to see him back on!! The usual often small, poor and dirty kids at the stations begging to us at the windows of the train, very sad.

So basically train journey was pretty uneventful... we did have a bit of a fiasco when we arrived in Delhi, the coolie came on the train looking for business and I nabbed him quickly (remember the rucksack) and off we went..see photos!! .. note my big smile haha anyway he only had to carry the two bags from the platform down some stairs and across to left luggage for us and when we gave him 25 rupees he shook his head like mad and kept chanting... 100 rupees... we argued and argued and then for some peace Mike upped it to 30..still he wasn't happy, so we said final price 40.(50p).. at which point the Inspector spotted it all and turned up and gave the coolie a right rollicking!!! he asked us 'did he ask u for 100' yes i said...'No' he said (the coolie, with his hands in a praying position to the inspector and flashing his 40 rupees..begging innocence.) i think he then got 'booked' and serves him right, they do try it on and although we are used to it , it can be intimidating for newbies just arriving, i know you are probably shaking your heads and saying how mean, how tight, but the rate is 25rps and they do this mainly to foreigners and can be quite intimidating and its not on!!!!

So then we stepped outside the stsion and OMG (MUM and wrinklies, that means Oh my God!!) the sweltering heat just hit us, i sat on a bench to sort my things out and burnt my backside through my trousers and had to get up literally after a second unbearable and I think it must be about 45/ 50 degrees but the dryness of it.. we were also immediately surrounded by hundreds of taxi and tuk tuk drivers offering to take us here there and everywhere at inflated prices and after much bartering and walking away we secured a tuk tuk to take us to South Ex part 2 (a brill and very upmarket shopping place) where we indulged in the most refreshing and large delicious iced assam tea withi blackberry's it was wild and sooooo welcome... Mick is worried i might get carried away as the shops are great and I have already seen a hundred pairs of shoes I just Looove and various other things and thats just as we passed the shop windows!! but i know i have to carry it all!!

this place is pretty upmarket and there are some very rich Delhi people about, its certainly not a cheap place... We only have a few hours to kill, our train was only an hour or so late so we have to catch our next one at 20.20 tonight and i think we get to Amritsar tomorrow mid morning not sure what time, I have been told there are faster trains ..bit late now... but we would have had to go to another station ...and change trains too.... so this will do as we have the tickets ...however i have a feeling this next train may not be too bright!! UMMM when i showed the Delhi guy opposite me the ticket he looked a bit horrified (sort of) and mumbled something to his wife in Hindi and when I said is something wrong, he said, 'no well not really, its just this one isnt one of the better ones'.... sounds ominous... so heres hoping.. will update from Amritsar..to be truthful am not particulalry looking forward to another night sleeping'onboard' so soon ,,, could do with a nice comfy bed. .. but hey!!thats what its all about eh!!

We are currently in Reliance a niice A/C place where I am writing this up as we have a bit of time to kill and cannot walk around outside a moment longer we are wilting..and i left my factor 50 in my rucksack so had bright pink cheeks already after only half an hour out there!!! ... what to do!!!! see you all in Amritsar... bye for now, thanks for all the mails and messages, lovely to hear from everyone and makes us feel very happy to keep in touch.... off back to the station soon.. hope i will have something more exciting to report from Amritsar!!

Chilly ..xx. ....and Mike, x who is sat next to me looking at a map of Nth India we just bought!!! cos its cool in here!! usually he grumbles like mad when i go in the internet cafe lol but not today!!
  • Edited by chilly 2010-10-19 15:29:14
Absolutely brilliant Chilly, looking forward to the next bit now when you get to Amritsar. Hope all goes well for you. Dont forget your factor 50! (must be hot!!!)
Enjoy yourselves xx
Really enjoying the blog, great pictures too. :tup
Chilli,

This makes great reading and the photos brought back great memories of my train journey a couple of years ago when we went from Mumbai to visit my wifes relatives in Surat, Gujarat. Looks like the toilets have not improved. :yikes Keep the report and photos going as the forum is normally a bit quiet at this time of year and I need something to read in my lunch break.
:) Hi Chilly and Mike;
Thank goodness for you two, we rely on both of you (as well as other expats) to supply us UK locked Goa/India addicts with our daily fix, i'm personally suffering from severe withdrawal effects and can't wait to be back :cry
Take care both of you i must say you both look very well :tup
love Jayne & Steve :wave
:) ahh thanks ... and so glad you are all enjoying the trip.... its great sharing it!!
Chillyx x
  • Edited by chilly 2010-10-19 15:29:44
Keep it coming, love the photos, your train looks cleaner and less packed than ours was :rofl
yes this was the dead posh Rajdhani Express... absolutly fantastic... although it had its moments!!!! :D this and the Shadabdi Express are the two best there are and all your meals are included!! highly recommended!!! ;)
Chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.