Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Back from Bali
8 Posts
Awww Geri am so sorry to hear about your husbands illness. Please wish him well from us all here at Holidaytruths xxxx
Oh Geri,

Firstly let me wish hubby all the best - I hope that it's not Dengue, just a bad touch of the heebie jeebies.

One of your favourite places, but you don't seem to have much luck in Bali. Glad tht you enjoyed the first part, although being bitten to shreds must have taken the edge off it. Fortunately, Janet and I haven't had that problem in Bali, although the sandflies at the Rasa Ria in Borneo certainly had a good go at us in March!

With Thailand being dicey, it looks as though it will be Bali (Sanur) for us again this year. My wife's company are doing a promotion for their customers to Bali in October (when we normally go), so we will head off there in Sepember and be back in UK before they arrive. We want to stay as far away from business as we can. We were looking for somewhere else, but Sept / Oct is a funny time - we couldn't get enthusiastic about Mauritius and Zanzibar was also ruled out.

Still - enough of me/us. I really hope that hubby is OK and I do feel for you.

Best regards

Peter
oh no Geri
I hope he recovers soon. What a time you've had in your last holidays there. How long is recovery expected to take?
Really sorry Geri

Hope he improves soon.

Thinking of you :kiss
Kath x
Thank you for all your good wishes.

My husband has since developed a characteristic Dengue rash and another visit to the Dr today and almost certain it's Dengue Fever... but still need the results from Far North Queensland for confirmation.

I forgot to mention that when we arrived on 1st May it was the first day of the official finger printing and photo procedure... it was absolute bedlam. Our flight arrived 45 mins late (23:30) and found ourselves behind a JAL flight. They had changed the position of VOA payment booth and it's a bun fight to pay our $US25pp ... we got our receipt then we had to scramble our way back through the others that were trying to pay before we could join the VOA/immigration queue. Why on earth you can't pay and it be entered into your passport then and there baffles me... but that's Bali for you.

We stood there for 90 mins in the terrible heat with no conditioning or efficient air circulation without moving a metre. Each person took 5 mins to process and people were getting testy. Two more flights came in and the situation became even more horrendous. Then suddenly we started to move and after another 30 minutes we eventaully found ourselves being processed. I asked the bloke behind the desk what was happening and he said "My boss say no more finger printing and photo" and we didn't argue. Our poor driver from the hotel was waiting for us and we eventually arrived at the hotel 2am local time (4am our time and we was well and truly stuffed... that's Aussie for tired) Apparently the new arrival procedure was cancelled untill it can be fined tuned.

Cheers Geri
Finally... finally my husband has been confirmed with Dengue. The initial blood tests came back as a false negative which apparently is common. He was re tested for antibodies which was positive.

This is not going to stop us from travelling to South East Asia but it does mean that he has to be very careful and wear repellent with a high concentrate of Deet. Dr says a vaccine should be available in about 12 months.

In the meantime he's back at work but still tires easily. The World Cup is not helping ... the times are terrible and he's GOT to watch England and Australia which means a late night or a 4:30 am kick off. It's so cold here at the moment so at least he's in the right climate.

Roll on October when we go to Phuket :sun2

Geri
Thanks for the update. At least you now know for sure and I hope he recovers soon.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.