Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Bali and KL
14 Posts
Fantastic report, thank you for posting it.

Sarah
Gosh Pete I know how scary the quakes are in Bali as we have been there twice when Bali has rocked. But having said that we've had a number in Melbourne this year alone. Two in February and two small ones last week.

I read that the hawkers were offering 'earthquake price' instead of their normal 'morning price'.

I enjoyed reading your JBR and hearing about your time in Sanur and Ubud. You have to worry when you see a candles and matches in your room. Power has always been iffy in Bali and some things never change.

If you paid $US30 for VOA then you was robbed :cry as it's $US25.

Cheers Geri
Hi Geri

Your are correct 25 USD (still Jet lagged - or senile perhaps?). I will edit this price.

Despite the bad exchange rate, we found Bali (except alcohol) to be good value this year - even the hawkers could be beaten down by more than usual. We actually spent less than on our last visit in 2007, which cannot be bad!

From what Janet has told me the Hyatt was certainly not the place to be and it shook very badly. I certainly feel for those in Sumatra at present - there certainly seems to be increasing activity throughout the region.

I will get Ananda Cottages added to the hotel list and do a brief review. We rather like it there, and Janet loves the Spa - which is very good value for a hotel owned establishment. I have done the Hyatt and the Equatorial in KL - neither particularly recommended.

You are off again this month to KL and Penang, I believe - have a great time (and no accidents this time please - are you still on rat poison?)

Cheers

Peter
oh my goodness. The earthquake must have been frightening. The tsunami warning signs are along the walk in Sanur and it must be scarey to think that you are in danger of one.
KL city tour- I take it it wasn't the hop on hop off bus? We took that just after it had started and it was a shambles due to not running as frequently as it was supposed to have. I think we waited about an hour and a half for one- just outside the bird park. However, did think that it would be good once the hiccups were sorted.
Mings- that was one of our favourites in Sanur. A bit more expensive than others but well worth it.
Hi Fiona,

Yes, we too enjoy Mings. I think that the quake worried Janet, particularly as the only exits from rooms on level 1, 2 and 3 are directly INTO the enclosed courtyards - very easy to become trapped or become a victim to falling concrete! I was fortunate, being in the open, and hardly noticed much more than the ground vibrating.

The city orientation in KL was a packaged trip, organised through the hotel and is typical of what could be expected from a pre-booked tour with a TO.

I have added reviews of the Hyatt & the Ananda Cottages in Bali and the Equatorial in KL, so no need to chase me :tup

Regards

Peter
Loved your report Pete, hving visited the same 3 places this summer, we really liked Warung Pregina in Sanur too :tup however there was a rat in there :yikes as there was in the Bonsai Cafe, Flashbacks and another place I cannot remember the name of, or was it the same one following us around :rofl
Hi Shirley,

:really We also saw one in Jepun -sometimes it pays not to look too closely......

I have a feeling that this is common in most of these restaurants, so :think

Look on the bright side - they eat them in a lot of SE Asian countries :yikes

Peter
:really I know Pete they must be common, we saw 3 rats in KL too , I have never seen as many rats in my life as I did on that holiday :rofl
By the way - I told my husband about the 'special' massage and he looked a bit put out as he didn't get any 'offers' :rofl
Shirley - if I were him I wouldn't worry.

Perhaps I look stupid :wave:

Or just plain desperate... (see Avatar) :think

Answers / opinions are NOT required

Peter
well I can't possibly give an opinion Pete- just incase OH reads it :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.