Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Bangkok riots
7 Posts
I feel the same way about my November trip Fiona , I believe the riots are the worst they have had since 92, quite a concern , I at the moment only have flights to Bangkok, nothing else booked, I am now wondering if it will be worth going to Bangkok for 5 nights , I think I would feel uneasy about booking 5 nights stay there at present.
Wondering if I should just book 1 night stay and then go on to Malaysia instead , sorry I booked the Bangkok flights now , I should have booked KL or Singapore flights, I think I will just hang fire and see how things go.
You'll be fine in Bangkok. Remember there were riots on the streets at this time last year too, a couple of people killed and tanks in the city centre. But things get back to normal quickly and unless you happen to be staying right where violence kicks off you wont know it is happening.

Yesterday we had a couple come to stay at our place on koh Chang from Bangkok. They were at a hotel on Silom and had no idea there was any fighting going on. The only thing they thought was odd was that they wanted to go for a night out in Khao San Rd but there were very few taxis around and when one did stop it wouldn't take them. So they gave up on that plan.
I wouldn't overly concern yourself at the moment. General feeling is that everything will calm down this week for Songkran (Thai New Year) when most protestors are expected to go home to their families.

We have a quite a few clients in Thailand at the mo, and unless anyone is heading to Khao San Rod or Rajprasong (Anantara / Four Seasons) then I would have reason to worry about heading to Bangkok (although naturally they might be worrying). Clients in Bangkok have not had any problems except slightly longer airport transfers, and some shopping malls being closed. Most havn't noticed anything at all.

Main tourist areas around Sukhomvit & the river are largely unaffected. If you do get worried about the Bangkok part of your stay, maybe just research into other areas you don't know or aren't on your itinerary (Trat for the Islands, Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai, Isaan) and examine the cost of merely transitting through Bangkok Airport using existing flights to other parts of Thailand. No issue with the beach resorts.

If anyone is booked to be in Bangkok in the next few days, i'm happy to post updates from the ground which we get on a daily basis.
it would be handy to have updates Sam. Thanks. Khao San Road must have been scarey.
Here we go - this is from this morning:

Please be advised for an update on the anti government situation in Bangkok.

On Saturday the government tried to clear the protesters blocking some parts of Bangkok and this created a violent response from the protesters. The ensuing fighting resulted in the tragic death toll of 21 persons and many more injured. Of the dead, 17 are civilians and four are military, while among those killed was Hiro Muramoto, a Japanese cameraman with Reuters. The clashes on Saturday also left 858 injured. "¬"ª

A Royal Thai Army spokesman reported that security forces led by the army were ordered to retreat to avoid more loss of life."¬"ª

The government, meanwhile, said it was asking officers to return to their bases to defuse the situation and prepare for the next phase of the operation.

The protesters' group, the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship, said it is unwilling to sit down for negotiations with the government unless it is to discuss the dissolution of the lower house of parliament."¬"ª

The prime minister has said that he would not announce his decision until after the Songkran (Thai New Year) festival this week."¬"ª

The department stores near Ratchaprasong intersection remain closed for security reasons, but department stores in all other areas of Bangkok are open for business as usual."¬"ª

All tourist attraction around the capital are open except Wat Benjamaborpitr (Marble Temple) which is effected by the protesters. We will change the City tour from Wat Benjamaborpitr to Wat Suthat. The Rattanakosin historical district : Wat Pho, the Grand Palace, and Wat Phra Kaeow (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) is operating normally."¬"ª

All BTS (sky train) stations have now reopened after being closed at the weekend.

The traditional 'Songkran' (Thai New Year) - water festival celebrations (13 - 15 April) in Khao Sarn Road have been cancelled.

We can assure you that your clients will not be taking to the areas where the protesters are based which is at Phan Fah Bridge (near Government House) and Ratchaprasong intersection.

We will keep you updated for any further developments.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.