Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
I've recently been to Costa Teguise and the la galea looked both very nice and peaceful. While I didn't hear anything major, obviously that could change. There are some great apartments with sea views, so try to get one of those if it's away from the building work. Apart from that there is more than enough in the resort to make it seem like no problem at all, providing they're not up at 7am!
Thanks for that Ian. We have an eight year old so are early risers anyway and plan to get out and about a fair bit. Even if we wanted to rearrange, finding something during Feb half term to suit us would probably be a nightmare. We'll go with the flow and see what happens.

Thanks
:?

Hello

I have booked for the same hotel and this will be a repeat visit for me to this hotel.
I also received a letter from First Choice with my tickets this letter stated that the noise would be "from hand tools" (maybe hammers and drills)

I leave the uk on 13th Jan for a week so I don't know what I will find
However I have been there before and used the other Barcelo in the resort the hotel chain is a good one and I would hope they will stick to their word and locate people in rooms away from the building work.

if this is not the case I will be asking to be relocated to the Barcelo Suites down the road

this building work has nothing to do with Barcello but you could contact / check their web site for updates

I'm not to put out by this work I will wait and see so my suggestion is: wait and see as the Location of the hotel is good for being in the centre of the resort

So have a good one

Cheers
Deb - Location wise it's great, right with views out to sea on one side, and within a small walk of nearly everything in the central areas. Should be enough to go around & see & do, but check with first choice, if the noise is bad by the pool, they also let the accomodation next door (puerto tahiche i think) and maybe you could use their pool area etc if needed ?
Thanks for your replies. We are definitely going - on 10th Feb. Rockley, perhaps you would be so good as to report when you get back. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Am looking forward to the break as not been to Lanzarote before and apts do sould very nice.

Deb
I will post a response on my return to UK
cheers :wink:
Look forward to reading Rockley, as heading out to these apartments first fortnight in July. Have never stayed at these ones before, but have stayed at Peurto Tachice next door, but am under the impression that La Galea is considerably nicer that Peurto Tachice.
If you want pubs and restuarants recommended let me know.

Enjoy the break. :)
I have also received a letter recently informing me of building work next to the apartments - as Deb said, funny how we get these after we have paid! I have never been anywhere before where there have been building works so I am a little apprehensive. Hopefully they will do as they stated in the letter and allocate us rooms at the opposite end to where building work is taking place. I hope to enjoy this holiday whatever, I have never been to Lanzarote before and am looking forward to it after reading all the posts, should be a nice relaxing holiday. I am going on the 10th February from East Midlands with my husband and son -see you there Deb!! :)
We received the same notification (just after we'd paid as well!!) from First Choice. We were travelling in March and as it was for two of the family's birthdays, took the decision to try and cancel. We got a full refund.

We look forward to reading whether that was the correct decision or not.
:D 8) :lol:

Hello Just back from Costa Teguise,

My opinion is don't worry about the building work not a crane in site all I could see was a at the rear ( Sea ) promenade entrance was a coupe of shops being re fitted out one of these was right next door to the hotels down stairs entertainment bar the other was next door to the Cutty shark pub this was near to being finished called "El MUNDO"

On the front of the hotel there's a fenced off area with some ground work going on about the size of a semi detached house.

None of this was a problem to our holiday no noise at the pool side as it is well shielded from the out side noise any way I have taken a couple of photos and will try to add them to the feed back.

A couple of tips very few people were buying stuff from the duty free at the airport the prices are cheaper by 1/ 2 euro in the local shops / supermarkets than at the airport I got a ltr bottle of J D for 20 euro at the main supermarket at Playa Honda at the airport this was 23 euro the local wine El Griffo was also around 2 euro more ex[pensive at the airport so shop around

Back to the hotel / apartments rooms were well equipped but I did need to contact reception on arrival as the fridge door was not closing and this caused it to Ice up so much we had a 2ft ice cube the kettle was missing, But I found the reception staff very he kind and helpful in less than 30 mins a replacement kettle and fridge arrived with an apology so don't be afraid to ring 9 for the reception their very good at speaking English

If you are taking small children or in elderly take my advice and take a cheep shower map with you I did ask for one but this was not possible the bath in our room was very slippery we used a towel in the bottom of the bath and I placed a chair for my elderly mother to hold on to as there is no rail.

If your a beer drinker shop around some of the bars do an happy hour from 5 - 7 or 6 - 8 when the process are 1 .60 euro a large beer theses prices do vary to about 3.90 in the hotel

We had a great time and I'm sue you will to

ps how do I add a photo ?????
Thanks Rockley

Received my tickets yesterday so getting excited now. Can I just ask a question on behalf of my son who's a bit of a water freak? How were the pool and sea for swimming? I've told him they may be a bit cold but we've never been away this time of year before and he's expecting summer sea temperatures! Did you venture in?
:Deb,

Happy to say the sea is ok at about 18c at this time of the year I found the hotel pool to cold and better off in the sea during our stay there was a sand storm that lasted for around 24 hours and some high winds so the surf was up and the red flag flying for two days for swimming but for the wind surf / surf board people they were having a good time

As the sand storm sent dust everywhere the hotel staff spent hours cleaning the place down and getting the sand / dust out of the pool I saw them testing the pool every day and I used the pool a couple of times after the storm

Cheers

ps
if you ask at the reception desk they will give you a map of the area tghis will direct you to beaches, also the reps for First Choice which include the likes of :- Eclipse Unijet Suncars Falcon & sunquest hand out a full size mag called Lanzarote choices this list places to go and the best things to see and do , you will want to get out and about I used the car rental Moreno on the same street as the hotel I had the car for 3 days and a Toyota with aircon this cost me 70 euro this included insurance but check around they don't all include insurance on the prices in the windows I paid 10 euro in fuel for the three days thats about £58 in total less than the cost of the bus trips the road network on the island are very easy to use and safe.
Hi Rockley

Could you tell me what the weather was like in Costa Teguise - I've never been to any of the Canary Islands and wondered how cool it got in the evenings?

I'm going on 10th February - can't wait :lol:

Thanks

Caroline
hi caroline, i used to live in cosat teguise for about 4 years. it does drop cool in the evenings, i would suggest you take light jackets or cardi's. still no where near as cold as it is here though!
suggestion re the beach, if you go past the main beach ond past the melia hotel you will come to a lovely little sandy bay in front of the lanzarote beach club, not as busy as the main beach and no sunbeds in sight!
great little spanish tapas bar outside the resort on the seafront on the way towards arrecife, called fondeadero, nothing special inside typical spanish cafe but food great and cheap!
joe
Hello. We got back from Teguise last night. We stayed at the Galeon playa. The apts are fine no building work at the moment but there is a large area next door that looks like there will be a major build at some time. The pools are freezing the back pool is so cold no-one even sits around the pool ,to windy and cold. The beach although windy some days nice and warm. The sea again freezing not many ppl in it . In the day time the weather was warm and sunny shorts and tee shirts but as soon as the sun went down it was cold and windy. We needed coats and jumpers. Some nights not so bad depends how strong the wind was blowing. We were lucky the week before they hardly saw the sun and yesterday it was cold. I never took my coat off all day. As we headed for the airport it started to rain.To be honest I was glad when the coach came to pick us up. I hope it gets better for you. Just take some warm clothes.
Rockley a few questions if you don't mind?!

Not done this self catering lark abroad before so forgive my ignorance. Can you tell me if apt was fairly well equipped - not bothered about cooking facilities as I don't intend to do any! - but is there plenty of crockery, cutlery etc. Will only be having breakfast, making a few sandwiches for lunch etc and making snacks. Would you suggest taking tea cloths, kitchen roll etc? What about loo roll?

We will probably arrive about 7.00pm - is there a supermarket open close by to pop to for bread and milk etc? Where is the best place to go do you think for a meal when we arrive?

Thanks

Deb
Can anyone help? We are travelling to the La Galea in August and have friends staying at the Puerto Tahiche. I believe they are near each other, but roughly how far? Can also anyone who has stayed at the La Galea recommend any room numbers with a good sea view as we will contact the apartments with a request.
They're next door to each other :) I think they're on seperate side-streets but not 100% sure, both have great views of the sea & plenty of good eateries on the doorstep :)
Hi
It will take approx 1 min or less to walk from reception to reception!
Good planning on someones behalf!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.