Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Allan and welcome! :wave:

We only have one REVIEW for the hotel. Hopefully they will be added to and you'll get some replies here ;)
Allan,

visa are simple - you fill in a tourist visa application per person once you land and hand it over together with $10pp. Remember to have $20 pp for depature tax when you leave.

I would say a dollor or two a day at the pool bar and the main bar will definitely be enough to get you recognised.

The towel game is played at most of the hotels but from reading the reviews it does seem to be a particular problem at the barcello. Either be up early or go to the beach.

The barcello is within the complex of 10 or so hotel in playa dorada and as such you can walk quite safely within the complex and go to the plaza - where you'll find shops and a few bars etc. I would change up a handful of dollars to pesos at the change booth at the plaza so you can buy beers, souvineers etc.

If you want to read lots of reviews - try here.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147290-d149799-r26554017-Barcelo_Puerto_Plata-Puerto_Plata_Dominican_Republic.html#REVIEWS

As for things to do, it really depends what you like doing. The most popular trip is to ocean world where you can swim with dolphins, but there are also trips like dune buggies, caramarans etc. There are excurion shops at the plaza which offer the same trips as your rep will - only cheaper.

have fun - I've been to the Dom Rep 7 times and love it.
Hi Allan,

I am a frequent visitor to Puerto Plata so her are some links which I hope are helpful to you. If there are any other queries please dont hesitate to contact me.

Here is a map of Playa Dorada Complex with your resort marked.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/304320/photo186.html?photosize=large

Trips to choose from.

http://www.isairatours.com/tours.html

Concerning money you will need $US10 per person for your Tourist Card to enter and $US20 per person for your departure tax, the rest I would take a little in Dom. Rep pesos with you and then your debit card or GBP and change in the exchange shops in the Plaza as you will get a better rate. Tipping can be done in pesos and is better for the staff as they dont have to change $$$bills and loose on the exchange rate. Lots of places you will see priced in $$$ but it is better to pay in pesos as the shops will give you change in pesos even if you give them $$$ and at a poorer rate to yourself.

Here is a link to what the Tourist Cards look like and the Immigration card that wil handed out on the plane for you fill in, as this has got to be handed in at passport control.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/visa.html

Hope this helps any other questions just fire away.
Angie.
hi and thanks angie&cynical for your replys. it does not sound to good the towel game. how much would i usully expected to pay for a bear or rum & coke in the bars out side the complex? and what kind of entertainment can i expeced?. any nice restorants you know of, and what food should we try. (we like spicey food) taxi.s are they resenable prices, or do you not nead them, as we dont mind walking.(if its safe to do so after a night out)
I think from memory a beer was the equivilent of $1.50-2 and a rum and coke $3-4, but we tend to stay within our hotel at night (don't like paying for drinks at a bar when they are all included at the hotel). You definitely won't need taxi's to get to the plaza and it is safe to walk at night as the whole playa dorada complex if controlled so only those people who work there or who are guests can enter. If you do get a taxi elsewhere though remember to negotiate the fare in advance.

Entertainment at the hotels is pretty much like a red coat show at butlins etc, Mr and Mrs Barcello etc, dancing shows and lip synching to backing tracks etc - not our cup of tea at all so we've never watched any in 7 trips and always find a quite bar away from the main stage so we can just chat and enjoy our drinks. Some people like them but it's just not our style.
mrbrown,

Drinks are quite expensive out of your resort in Playa Dorada Complex about $2 for a beer $5/$6 for spirits and mixer

Entertainment is hotel based I would think all resorts have the same sort of entertainment of shows,karaoke and game shows but I cant give any info on your hotel as have never stayed there.

Best restaurants that are near are in Sosua or Cabarete which is about a 10/15 min taxi ride away, always negotiate a price for taxis before getting in the cab, they will take you to your destination then at an agreed time pick you up again, its on the return journey that you will pay them, very trusting they are.

Walking round the Playa Dorada Complex is perfectly safe and no taxis are needed but to go further afield taxis are a must as there is no lighting.You would not find your way around in the dark. For your own safety at night taxis are the way to go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.