Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Basic Italian
10 Posts
Hello - Salve (pronunciation) salvay
Please - per favore(ay)
One- uno (oono)
Two-due (dooay)
Three- Tre (Tray)
Coffee - Cafe (Kafay) conleche(conlechay) with milk
How much? - Quanto (Kwonto)

I only speak a minimum and my pronunciations are a bit rusty, but these words should get you by.

Try http://www.smartphrase.com for more simple words and phrases
I have to admit to never hearing an italian use that Salve word???

Most will either use:

Ciao - for hello & goodbye
Arrivederci - goodbye

or

Buon Giorno - Good Morning
Buona Sera - Good Afternoon/Evening
Buona Notte - Goodnight

To be honest though, Ciao was always the most common! I've forgotten most of my basic italian now though, rusty through lack of use!! :D
Thanks Cider Monster, I thought I had posted ciao. My Italian class notes(from many years ago) say Salve -expression of greeting, perhaps it's not used any more. I always use Buon Giorno/Buona Sera depending on what time of day it is. I remember years ago ciao seemed to be only used for goodbye but now its used for both hello and goodbye.
Sorry Judith - con leche is Spanish! You need to ask for cafe con LATTE (cafay con laa-tay) and of course you probably already know CAPPUCINO, CAFE LATTE etc from the various chains of coffee shops in the UK!

For goodbye you can also say CIAO (chow)! and you will hear lots of PREGO (pray-go) which means you're welcome after you say GRAZIE (Graa-ts-i-ay).

*Edit. The word filter has edited out the word c o n :wink: Pippy*
Shows I just came back from Spain. I think I will keep to German translations from now on.
Ah, Prego .... one of my favourite italian words! :lol:
"Salve" is very colloquial, and quite frequently used in some parts of Italy, though maybe not all... I spent a year in Bologna and heard it used there all the time. "ciao" is probably the safest bet though :)
Oh and 'black coffee' can be either Cafe Solo (kafay so-low) or Cafe senza latte (kafay sen-za laa- tay). Most of the time this will get you an espresso so if you want a big black coffee, try UNO CAFE GRANDE SENZA LATTE!
Thanks for all that. I will be practising next weekend in Rome
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.