Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Beach Shacks
13 Posts
Hi, we love the beach shacks , they are such a big part of the 'Goan Experience' , food wise at most popular shacks you can get anything from a plain omelet to lobster, there are always lots of curries and tandoori dishes available too. My favourite beach shack food is red snapper grillled nice and spicy with salad and chips at the Golden Eye shack in Ashwem , it really is to die for :tup
Kaz - The shacks have very extensive menus and will even order you a lobster if you ask in advance.

Don't know how they manage to make such great food in such cramped circumstances but I'm glad they do!

If it's your first time, I'd opt initially for a shack that looks busy - I believe the best way to avoid Delhi Belly is to eat at places that are busy and don't have food standing around. Bon apetit!! :tup
YEY I love this information The Goa experience is going to be amazin I just know it I am a massive fish lover and lobster sounds fantastic Is it expensive? I want to go sleep and wake up there right now lol xxxxxx
lobster sounds fantastic Is it expensive

Actually I don't eat fish or lobster but my mates do and they rave about certain dishes. I think you can get lobster for £10 -£12 but there are probably fish enthusiasts that can advise you better.

Don't be put off trying the vegetarian places - Plantain Leaf, Anand Sagar etc. They're excellent and as cheap as chips.
kaz999 wrote:
want to go sleep and wake up there right now

Most of us on here want to as well!! :sun2
Kaz, have had lobster a couple of times in Goa, and although nice and always well presented, for better value and taste is crab. Also try the jumbo tiger prawns - and I mean JUMBO they are massive and not seen them anywhere else, 3 is a decent amount. Prices vary according to the fish market rates/size, Lobster expect to 500rps-800rps - crab/jumbo prawns 400-600. Beach shacks, if they have them in then fine, but quite a few do orders for the following day (at least something else to look forward to !) Restaurants will always have them, unless sold out of course.
Curry's, well you can't go wrong, but tell your other half not to expect all places doing them the way you get them in the UK. These are laden with full, fresh spices and if you go down with the dreaded delhi belly, it is quite possible the spicy food (and too much) rather than 'bad food'.
An average price for 2 people would be around 700rps for mains and starters and a couple of beers. You can pay less than this, but you can also pay a heck of a lot more.
Read the reviews for recommended places on this site, someone else's choice may be a let down for you. Too many places to mention for me, have fun finding them !
Spike.
Kas, last year 8 of us went out to eat at a place in a village, all of us had a starter and a main no shell fish or fish all had 3 to 4 drinks local brand , gin/tonic odd beer, brandy the total bill came to Rs 1800 = aprox £3 each. Not everywhere is that cheap though
I totally Love the tiger prawns I cant wait to try them infact the chances are I may even eat them the whole holiday unless there is a few tasty Fillet steaks knocking about My husband is a major curry fan and will probs live on that 72 days and counting xxx :sun2 :sun2 :sun2 :sun2 :sun2
kaz, the tiger prawns in India are not the same as over here, they are BIG :)
Hi staying at the Kingstork Beach Resort does anybody know of any good shacks with clean toilets on this section of the beach?
hi bluemoon we usually go to Aggies shack at the bottom of holiday street turn left and prob about 10 or so shacks down very good food and look after you very well and its a nice peaceful part of the beach
I was in Calangute for 12 weeks earlier this year and stuck with xaviers shack, along the beach to Baga. Clean toilets, shower and not a single bug. Always pick a shack that is busy!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.