Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
You will find tavernas on or near most of the beaches you will visit.
If you go across to Ammoudi which I mentioned in my earlier post you will find the Taverna about two hundred metres from the beach. Make a selection the old Greek way by looking in the kitchen to see what is on offer for the day. They will also grill souvlaki and fresh fish to order.
Don't worry about the buckets and spades. Tidy your belongings up with the sunbeds and you will find them all untouched on your return, though make sure it isn't too breezy or you may be minus the towels!
You will also get a visit from the Doughnut man, 'Fresca, Fresca Doughnuts' midafternoon. Though be warned they are HUGE!
Yes, Rethymnon - dont go! we didnt like the beach nor the town! dirty///
Really - the beaches are dirty, Sue?
You can read resort reports HERE.

Pippy :D
Well, lets just say we didnt stay on the beach long, (ended up crossing the road and having a very nice ice cream in a restaurant instead!) We were very disappointed with Rethymnon. We were staying in Ag. Marina near Chania and visited Rethymnon - had a boat trip and ended up on the beach there. Also, we visited the park and were horrified at the conditions of the animals in the zoo there - perhaps they have cleaned it all up, it was a couple of years ago. Just put us off going back! Each to their own. :D
We stayed in the Adelias Kampanos area, a few miles outside Rethymnon & had a great time. We were in the Maravel apartments which were OK, nothing special but spent most evenings at the nearby Dias Hotel, all nationalities sitting round a square bar speaking pigeon english. Great fun!
The beach was just across the road, far from crowded with a couple of really nice tavernas for lunch or drinks. The beach was clean but the problem was it was quite rocky getting into the water. I heard that it was
better closer to Rethymnon but it suited us to be staying in an almost rural area, though a 20 min walk took us into the next resort where there were lots of restaurants & bars to choose from. Even in our 'quiet' area, we had half a dozen tavernas, a bar & supermarket close by.
Rethymnon itself was a good half day out, or a pleasant evening. We spent 14 days there, but didn't do half the trips we could have done. We will go back in the next couple of years, though trying Turkey this year. I would recommend Rethymnon.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.