Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi Jay Trip, I have been to Benidorm many times and Benalmadena only once.
We did enjoy our stay at the Bali Hotel in Benalmadena which was up what is commonly known as cardiac hill :lol: We loved the marina as well as walking along the prom stopping off along the way for a little drink or 3 :glynis. We also visited the Croc Park as well as Tivoli world and the local market. I would go again but.............. well Benidorm wins hands down for me.

Perhaps it's because in Benidorm you have the choice of the Old and the new town and there are more things to do both day and night. It's also much flatter so everywhere is much more accessible than in Benalmadena If you have young children with you who tire easily then that is an important factor.

I also found Benalmadena a bit more expensive, perhaps that's because there is more competition in Benidorm.

Finally, the entertainment in Benidorm is far superior to anything we saw on the Costa Del Sol.

It's all a matter of personal choice really but for us it's Benalmadena 8 out of 10 and Benidorm 10 out of 10.

Sue :)
Thanks Sue,Its the reply I expected.Some friends are in Benalmadena until 11th and I looked on the Thomson website to see what was available.I have been to Benidorm many times and must admit I like the entertainment there., the old town, Guadalest ,etc.I nearly booked the Rio Park yesterday but found out there was building work next door.I love the Dalmatas but have read some not so complimentary reviews.I know Sanji is there at the moment and I think she has took all the winter sunshine!.I will have to decide soon as there are not many flights left for January from my local airport,even Easyjet flights are nearly full.Thanks for your advice,Jay
Hi Jay Trip, have you lookd at the Flamingo Oasis on the thomson accom only. We booked through them the other week and got an amazing deal. £30.00 a night all inclusive for 4 people, it was cheaper than the Paraiso Aparments :!:

Total cost for 3 nights for 4 was only £90.00 and the flights were only £66.00 each too.

Weather was cr** but we didn't really care :lol:

Sue :)
Hi Jay.

The Hotel Pez Espada actually comes within the boundary of Torremolinos in a place called La Carihuela, which is situated between the main town of Torremolinos and Benalmadena.
La Carihuela is a fishing village which is still hanging onto its roots. JUST!
I've stayed in this hotel many times and hope to book for the summer, when I get back home.
The hotel is situated on the promenade and is about a 10 minute slow stroll to the puerto de Benalmadena.
At this time of year, then I think Benidorm is the place to be (well I'm actually here) :lol:
The costa del sol is not a 12 month resort and I personally do not like Benalmadena (apart from Paloma park)...but the Pez Espada is deffo Not Benalmadena.

This is just my personal view, having been to both resorts (Benalmadena/Benidorm) in the "low season"....and I love both area's.
I cannot fault the hotel, but the immediate area around the hotel will be very quiet, I know because I have good friends there and we were seriously thinking about living in Carihuela.... you will have to travel to get any kind of entertainment outside the hotel.

I once asked a Spaniard in the summer about Benalmadena during Nov/Dec, and his reply was "Muy tranquilo" which means very quiet/calm....
I tried it and I would say Muy Dead! :lol: but, it all depends on what you personally want/expect and what/how you are comparing one resort against another.

I could find something to do in Costa del Sol by visiting the surrounding areas, but the actual resort of Carihuela and Benalmadena will deffo be quiet.
Have you looked at my videos in the Costa del Sol forum.?

Sanji x
Hi Sue ,The Flamingo Oasis was available from my airport last week on the Thomson website for £244 for Jan 9th for 1 week,but I dont want to go AI as I will not be able to resist the food! I can go anytime apart from half term so I will keep looking.
Hi Sanji,I hope you are feeling better after your fall.I have been tempted to try the ice rink in our local park but didnt want to risk breaking any of my old bones!.Thanks for advice on Costa del sol.My urge for a holiday started by thinking I would have a quiet week in Puerto rico as its 12 years since we were there.I searched all reviews and decided on the Terrazamar suites as they were new and about the only ones that didnt have cockroaches and burglars!.However for 2 people they are over £300 each and thats self catering,On Christmas eve we got a phone call from friends in Scotland to say they were off to C-D-S on 28th December for 2 weeks.Other friends are going to the Angela for 2 weeks on Friday.As I have never been I got the price today £224 for 4t pricebreaker on the 11th.Pez Esparda,Angela and Yarimar are the 3 hotels.I didnt book as hubby didnt seem that bothered,he said he enjoyed the Dalmatas when we went 2 years ago.We have been to Turkey 3 times this year and if Thomas Cook had not taken off their winter flights to Antalya we would go there.He really wanted to go back to Sharm but there is nothing from our airport until March.I also showed him the photo on the Egypt forum of the cold snap there.I seem to be going around in circles.I think I will phone tomorrow to see what is available for Benidorm .Please leave some sunshine for me!Jay.Ps I have watched all our videos and enjoyed them especially the walk to the cross!
We've just come back from Torremolinos and most of the restaurants and bars away from the centre were closed. We jumped on the train and busses and visited Benalmadena, Malaga and Fuengirola, otherwise we would have been bored as there wasn't much to do apart from eat and drink.

We only booked it 5 days before travelling and wanted to go to Benidorm originally, but the flight was full by the time I went to book it.

I would definitely opt for Benidorm as it sounds like there is far more going on there than there is in Benalmadena.

luci :wave
Thanks Luci,I am looking on Hays website at the moment as they also use Easy jet flights.I am hoping to book something today before all the flights are sold.My Husband saw the Flamingo Benidorm on Sky Travel shop this morning for £339 for 2 weeks but I prefer HB.Jay
hi ..jay trip... :) i have tried both places as well,but for me its got to be benidorm.
you can have it noisy or quiet the choice is yours .
which ever you pick have a great holiday.
regards............john-doe.........
:D Hi Jay, I too have tried both, and benidorm was my favourite, so much so we have been another 5 times in the last two years (and I always said I would never go to the same place twice :oops: ). Just my opinion but I found benalmadena, expensive, and the nightlife/entertainment, was nothing to write home about, Enjoy. BBB
hiya we have just returned from a 5 day late dael accomodation on arrival £119 h/b with thomsons. we were allocated the rio park and had a fanststic time i have been to benalmadena and would never retirn there if benidorm was on offer the food in the hotel was great the entertainment all over benidorm fantastic and the prices cheap, i did not see any building work goung on at all we did a free trip up to the animal sanctuery which was lovely the weather was warm.we booked xmas eve and travelled on boxing day
Thanks everyone for replies.I only considered Benalmadena as some friends are there at the moment.I love Benidorm at this time of the year and phoned Thomson yesterday and was offered Ruidor on the 11th January and hotel Orange on 25th.By the time I confered with hubby he decided to have a trip to Comet as TV is on the blink!.The prices of TVs these days shocked me so holiday is on hold for the moment.I am having 3 grandchildren to stay half term so will NEED a holiday afterwards so it looks like it will be the end of February before we go.I cant decide exactly which hotel to go to .I did fancy staying at the Rio Park as it has excellent reviews.I was also offered an AOA but would not like to end up at the Poniente section.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.