France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi and welcome to HT!

There is a sticky topic at the top of the forum "Driving in France" which has some very useful information including the legal requirements.

luci :wave
The routes I have taken are from calais or Boulogne but you are only a but further North.

If you wish to avoid Paris then the A26 past Reims and carry on down past Troyes. Eventaully you join the A6 at Beaune/Dijon. The A6 takes you to Lyon and through where it becomes the A7 Route du Soleil. At Orange the motorway splits and you take the A9 towards Spain. This takes you to the border. A freiend who did this in the Summer told me that there were big delays this time because the border post was open and was checking cars! The last few years the place was boarded up!

If you want to go through Paris then the A26 has a juncion with the A1 for Paris. The Route periferique takes you round the capital and you end up on the A6 towards Lyon.

Alternativly at Paris take the A10 which becomes the A75 and go down though the centre of France over the Viaduct du Millau. At the bottom the motorway drops you off by Beziers and you have a bit of driving on the N roads to pick up the A9.

If you are not going too far into Spain get off the A9 before the border and head for the French coast. Then cross into Spain on the Corniche. Nice views.

Going through Paris is shorter but you have the problems of traffic. The Reims/Troyes way is longer but you can keep your speed up and there is usually very little traffic.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.