Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Been discussed on another thread although not this particular product.

Snake oil IMHO.

Up to you though.

Papa
Bimuno is clinically proven. The evidence that it helps prevent travellers diarrhoea is published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Google it and research it before assuming it is a snake oil! It is the only product that is proven to help prevent TD. :sun2
Psofos.
I googled it and the answers all seem to point to the fact it was not particularly effective.
Those very small bottles of probiotic drinks that they stock in supermarkets are just a more expensive way of selling you yogurt in my opinion.
IMO the best way to avoid stomach upsets is to patronise establishments that have high hygiene standards.
I take your point about PRObiotic drinks. Indeed there has been a lot of negative publicity about them and there is no evidence that they work in Travellers' Diarrhoea. Please note that Bimuno is not a PRObiotic. It is the next generation up from PRObiotics. It is classed as a PREbiotic. It is a different offering to PRObiotics. You may wish to google it again properly. Alternatively take advice from a Healthcare Professional.
Kind Regards.
Psofos.
Many thank to the previous poster for his informed imput on this, I did note in the heading that it was a Preebiotic rather than the usual Probiotic preparations discussed previously on other posts
I've got an open mind on this, unlike some, however as I dont normally have any problems with Delhi Belly, mabey due to building up some immunity over the years, I was merely trying to bring up the subject, as it may be of some interest to other posters.
Alan
Thanks Alan. I appreciate your broadminded view and suspect that you have a good degree of microbiological, pharmaceutical or health product understanding.
Psofos.
Read an article about the clinical trials.In a blind trial it proved about 50% effective(according to the article) .

Not sure I want to spend my money on something that might work.

Papa
I would not either! The trial I am talking about refers to 8 out of 10 having a diarrhoea free holiday in at risk destinations. This is a peer reviewed clinical trial published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Psofos
I have had a rethink after reading the article in full.

Cynical as I am if I can find where to get this and it does not require a remortgage to buy I think I will give it a try.

Nothing worse than losing a couple of days of your holiday to illness.

I will report back on my return late March.

Sorry if I came across as a Ludite.Just a cynic I am afraid.

Papa
Papa.... I have a had a look, and Boots sell it £6.99 for a box of 30 sachets (also part of the 3 for 2 deal on vitamins)... not sure if this is a good or bad price, i'd be interested to know whether it's cheaper anywhere else... as I am considering trying it.

Thanks
L
Yes, if there is anything to take as a preventative I'm all for it. Taking stuff after you are ill doesn't prevent you losing a day or two of your hols. Also, I think the germ must be allowed to leave the body without taking meds to keep it all in, if you get my drift.

My son has text today to say he feels a bit better after 36 hrs of illness whilst on a 'romantic' (not) break in Benaulim. This break was for 2 days away from Baga, so now they have decided to stay on in Benaulim for a while longer. Hopefully he will get some rehydration salts form the pharmacy today.

I may be wrong, but I always drink Lassi before lunch, and also have natural curd (yoghurt) with honey on my breakfast cereal whilst there, often have banana poridge, and I also drink soda water during the day.

Touch wood, I haven't had Delhi Belly for years, but would still be interested in this new product if anyone can advise where to buy it, as we are off to Goa again in Feb.
I will be interested to hear if anyone else tries this and what they think of it.
If something is going to prevent me getting a bout of delhi belly then I am all for it :tup
I was particularly ill in Goa in December, even had to visit Bosio Hospital :cry
And don't forget your cholesterol busting tubs of grease and your omega 3 all scientifically approved by the manufactures funded scientists to ease the money from your pocket

Remember according to the scientists half of us should be dead by now from swine flu but all we caught was an enormous bill for a great big pile of unproven vaccine and an even bigger one to store it also the cost for the NHS special phone in service manned by the 1000's of expert swine flu scientists and advisers

but don't let me put you off.
And don't forget your cholesterol busting tubs of grease and your omega 3 all scientifically approved by the manufactures funded scientists to ease the money from your pocket

Remember according to the scientists half of us should be dead by now from swine flu but all we caught was an enormous bill for a great big pile of unproven vaccine and an even bigger one to store it also the cost for the NHS special phone in service manned by the 1000's of expert swine flu scientists and advisers

but don't let me put you off.

Ah,a fellow cynic.Now I don't feel so alone. :rofl :rofl

Papa
The point is that this product only claims to lessen your chances of getting an upset stomach. You won't know if you would have got one if you hadn't taken it.In all the previous visits I have had to India I haven't had a real problem but I must admit I had 2-3 days of being poorly on my last trip too. It wasn't just the usual diarrhoea that every one tends to get now and again but far worse. I felt tired, lost my appetite and even the will to do anything.I'm not sure that this product would prevent that sort of ill health. I tried to see it through without taking anything other than a tub of curd but I had to resort to the chemist in the end and I made a quick recovery then.
I still think the best preventative is to be careful about where you eat. Poor hygiene has to be the source.
Poor hygiene has to be the source.

Not always, I had similar thing felt weak and tried with a really painful stomach ache, sickness and diarrhoea for over two weeks when we came back to the UK for Christmas, I put it down to a bug I picked up on the plane as it started about four days after we got back but my doctor said it was just as likely to have been caused by the local tap water after drinking bottled water for so long

Pre or pro whatsits would not have stayed in long enough to past the time of day with my insides
hi
an alternative is acidophilus,these are chewable tablets obtainable from holland and barrat,lots of people i know out here and in the uk use them ,start a couple of weeks before you come out just one per day,often they are on special offer,......they provide an additional source of benificial bacteria naturaly found in the body,use when traveling overseas or when taking antibiotics,tablets contain lactobacillus acidophilus and lactobacilus bifidus
If you do a search for the website for bimuno you can get a free 10 day trial supply ;) Ive signed up can always unsubscribe later.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image