Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi
We went to Singapore in Nov 2009 and loved it - would love to go again if it wasn't so far. We stayed in Bintan for a few nights at the Ansanga and it was wonderful. It's right on the beautiful beach (watch out for the sandflies). It's the sort of beach you see only in the brochures. The staff at the hotel were lovely and the food was great. They price everything in dollars (US I think but check). You can use the local currency but there are millions to the pound or dollar so you need a large bag to carry it around and they would prefer you not to pay with it I think. They are very keen that you don't get malaria so provide sachets of cream in your room and at the beach bar but obviously you will take a course of tablets with you (essential). Wath out for the Monitor lizards (think it's spelt that way) - they are harmless but huge. It's a bit tedious queuing for the ferry - you have to pay if your luggage is overweight (maybe that only applies to women as they didn't charge my husband). I think the allowance was 20k which was less than the plane allowance so took us by surprise. It's a bit expensive for drinks and food but for a couple of days it was worth it - hope you enjoy it too.
Eirwen
Malaria? Bintan? Hmmm :think

A quick googling revealed mixed messages, but I didn't take it, and wouldn't if I went again.

Can't help on the Angsana. But try and avoid being there at weekends when half of Singapore comes to play golf.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.