Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Work to extend the runway at BHX by 400m began today and will be completed by spring 2014. More details here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-20513239

Darren
Hello all,
Does anybody here know Birmingham airport well? I am going to go and collect someone and wondered if the airport is as big as Manchester in terms of ternimals? The flight number does not give a terminal, does that mean there is only 1?

Flight number is TK1969.

Please help as I am unsure of this airport and it is a last min thing too.x

Merged with exisitng topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Ruth24s,

BHX is a lot small than Manchester. Just head for arrivals, there's only 1 terminal now. Use one of the short stay car parks then walk over to arrivals. The airport terminal map may be useful for you, along with the airports website.

Darren
Oh Daz, thank you so so much. I am assuming that the parking will be a similar set up to Manchester too.

I have picked up from manchester a few times and got in a tizz, so pleased Bhx is a lot smaller!

Thanks.
hi

does anyone know if theres a shuttle bus from the airport travelodge to the terminal?
also how easy is it getting from the travelodge to the carparks?

joules
I am flying from Birmingham Airport for the first time this year. Could anybody give me any advice/pointers on the car parking there? I have been on the airport website and got quotes from there but the thing that concerns me is the bus to the terminal only runs every 30 minutes.

Are there any alternatives? I don't need a hotel so don't need park and stay.

Thanks very much.

Patsiej

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Hi Patsiej

It looks like you've been given a quote for Car Park 7, which is the furthest away. Is it much more expensive to book one of the closer ones? If price is a factor then we usually use the APH car park which is only a few miles away (http://www.aph.com/parking/birmingham_airport/birmingham_aph.shtml).
Thanks Corinne76. I will take a look at that.

Patsiej
Hi Corinne 76,

Yes, the quote from Birmingham Airport is for car park 7. The prices for Birmingham Airport and APH are within coppers of each other. The difference between the two seems to be that the Airport bus only runs every half hour whilst the APH bus seems to run quite frequently.

We are stopping with relatives before we go to the airport so will be approaching from Kidderminster. I've looked at Google Maps till I'm going dizzy. The problem is I can't establish just where car park 7 is.

In your opinion which do you think will be better (timewise)?

Thanks

Patsiej
Hi Patsiej

I've not used car park 7 myself, but according to the airport website it's near the Holiday Inn/Travelodge on the other side of the airport (see https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/airport-parking/). What time of day are your flights? As you may already know, the M42 is a very busy road and you may need to allow quite a bit of extra time for your journey anyway. The APH car park is only a short drive further up the A42, but personally I wouldn't risk it at rush hour!

In the past, we always used to book the cheapest car park at any airport, but we've had a few hairy situations when the traffic has been very bad, or there's been an accident, so now we usually try and book one of the nearer car parks. It's usually only a few quid different so we have decided to pay the extra for peace of mind these days - so we'd probably go for car park 4 or 5 at Birmingham. Hope that helps!
Thanks Corinne,.

Our flight out is 12.15 (lunchtime) on a Saturday so we would be arriving at the car park around 10 ish. We have no bags to check in so that will take some pressure off time wise.. I should imagine the traffic should be lighter than during the week but as you say, accidents can be a problem.

I was concerned that if we took car park 7 then we could be stood around for up to half an hour waiting for a bus whereas APH have a more regular service.

When we fly from Manchester I use a car park which seems similar to APH and the service is always good. The longest we've had to wait for the bus to/from the airport is 10 minutes which is much better than waiting half an hour.

Will go back to quotes. What fun.

Thank you for all your help.

Pat
Hi Pat

You're right, you shouldn't have any issues with rush hour traffic, but it would be worth seeing if there are any big events on at the NEC on that day as that can cause major problems with the traffic by the airport. We've used that APH a number of times and have never had a problem to be honest. Like you, I think that a 30 minute wait is a bit long, plus we live north of the airport so I'd probably go for the APH one out of those 2. Never had a problem with an of the car parks at Birmingham to be honest, Heathrow is another story though!
Thanks Corinne.

We aren't going until August - I just want to get everything booked in plenty of time.

I hadn't thought of the NEC so I'll look into that.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks again.

Patsiej
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.