DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Bookandstay.com
7 Posts
escape2travel are a trade supplier however they are not ABTA bonded, and if something goes wrong you are on your own.

So if you do go ahead then make sure you pay on your credit card.

Iam a travel agent and have heard from a friend that a travel agent that recently went bust ( Wardle Travel) had a few bookings with escape2travel and escape2travel cancelled all the customer bookings even though the travel agents were ABTA bonded, apparently ABTA are now going to sue them, and are thinking about putting members fees up who use them ( to cover the costs of eventual claims if either of them fail)
article taken from travemole

Online operator Apartmentsabroad.com is seeking legal advice after claiming ABTA may have breached competition laws in accusing it of failing to honour bookings.

Newman Street issued a warning to its members that four non-ABTA companies, including Apartmentsabroad, failed to honour bookings following the collapse of an agency - believed to be Wardle Travel.

And in a move that has infuriated the operator, the association said any member dealing with the four firms may face increased levels of bonding "to reflect the potential for an increased level of claims against ABTA's scheme of financial protection."

Apartmentsabroad managing director Ian Thirlwall rejected claims that it failed to honour bookings and said legal action could follow.

"We totally refute the suggestions," he said. "This refers to a single booking where client monies had not been passed to us by the failed agency. Under our terms and conditions therefore, no confirmed booking or contract existed. I fail to see how we can he held responsible for an ABTA agent in financial difficulty who fails to pass on client money."

He claimed that ABTA's own procedures recognise that companies supplying agents may deem a contract is not in place until full payment is made.

"If ABTA is seen to be discriminating against non-ABTA principals it could be argued that it is creating a closed shop, a restrictive practise," added Thirlwall.

He confirmed he has instructed lawyers to investigate the position, believing the threat of increased bonding may deter agents from dealing with his company.

The three other operators named by ABTA are Escape2Travel, Key Resorts and Allstar Quality.
I work for bookandstay.com and want to put your mind at rest. This is after all called holiday truths, so here is the truth.

We are not a general travel agent and therefore we do not belong to ABTA.

When bookings are made on our web site, the funds are taken 30 days prior to your travel dates not by us, but by Barclays Mercantile who hold the money until the day you arrive at the hotel. It is therefore perfectly safe and is not released until you are at the hotel. So it cannot be lost, misapproptiated or otherwise messed with. Much safer than ABTA.

I plan to respond separately to the travel agent who commented about our sister company, that is run as a totally separate business, regarding the comments about Wardle Travel. That has absolutely nothing to do with bookandstay.com

Hope this puts your mind at rest.
Caroline
Thank you for your replies - since I posted my original question I have recieved a more detailed explanation directly from bookandstay.com as to why they are not (and can't be) ABTA bonded. I'm happynow :D Thanks
Thank you for clarifying that. I looked at it and realized it was old after I got worried, lol.
umm... I'm still wondering why you even took the time to respond to a post 3 years old? Hoping you just didn't notice, lol.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.