Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi Pete

What a great report... I was with you every step of the way and thank you for taking the time to tell us all about it.

As much as I'd like to visit Borneo it's not on my bucket list. I know many people that have gone there and said the same as you... expensive food and beverage in resort and you are isolated and so have to put up with the costs. It sounds like Fiji where you are 'trapped' in the hotel/resort and no where to eat outside.

Where to next?

Cheers Geri
sorry Pete
I missed this report somehow. :duh
Sounds a bit of a mixture of a holiday. Glad Malaysian Airways was better. I wasn't too fussed about our last flight with them although I know they are highly rated.
Borneo is a place I would like to visit but perhaps twin it with somewhere like Penang, which we would like to return to. I was thinking along the line of 4 or 5 days and we would definitely pick the same hotel as you :) Did it rain a lot when you were there?

:yikes £138 for a dinner!!Thanks for the reviews as well
Hi Geri

Don't get me wrong - we wouldn't have missed this one, just a little too much isolation for my liking.

Where to next?

Other than visiting friends in continental Europe, probably Mauritius or Zanzibar in Sept / Oct. Janet is busy arranging a Bali trip for some of her Company in October - so we won't be going anywhere near Bali (NEVER mix business with pleasure!).
With regard to costs, we could have kept these down (especially by not buying wine) - but we were on holiday ;) . It would be quite possible to do this at half the price that we did, and I am sure that many did - remember, I'm a whingeing (is that how you spell it?) POM!!

Cheers

Peter
Hi Fiona - I almost forgot you (how could I do that?)

We saw no rain at all - in fact everyone was saying that it was untypically dry and had been for some time - they are desperate for some rain!

We thought about coupling Borneo with either Penang or Langkawi, but the thought of flying all those sectors (6) - UK to KL to Borneo to KL to Penang (or Langkawi) to KL to UK was just too much!

Can thoroughly recommend either Shangri La hotel (or both) - but perhaps only 3 days or so in each.

Slightly :offtop - where are you staying in Hua Hin? I envy you that one, but we were so lucky with the weather the last time we tried September/October (2008) that we dare not risk it out of season.

Enjoy Hua Hin - It is still one of our favourites!

Peter
Peter
after missing your report I wouldn't have blamed you for forgetting me!
I see what you mean about all the flights if you went to Penang. Not sure about Langkawi myself - I think it may be a bit too quiet for me.
Hua Hin- we were at the Marriott the first time and really liked it but loved the look of the Sofitel. We also ate at the Hilton a couple of times and so it was between those two. Eventually plumped for the Sofitel. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.