Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Bratislava
11 Posts
ss
not sure but would like to know to as i am off here later in the year
I may as well answer this myself as I posed the question.

I flew from Edinburgh to Vienna changing at Amsterdam. After checking the 'net I found that flights to Vienna are cheaper than to Bratislava. Vienna is less than an hour by bus to Bratislava and only costs a few euros.

Entering Bratislava we passed through some typical communist era housing schemes; concrete multi storey blocks and graffiti. I found that most of the city is like this, the communists didn't really protect the heritage. The Hotel Kjev was supposedly 3 star but was just a featureless and drab concrete high rise.

That said though there is a small, pedestrianised city centre that is as ambient and picturesque as anywhere I've been. There were beautiful cobbled streets with a mixture of Prague style beer halls and Viennese cafes. The beer and food is very good, and very cheap.

I don't think it is fair to compare Bratislava with Prague. It isn't really in the same league but is still a great place to visit for an interesting and cheap break.
what is this place like to take a child
I'm not sure what you mean as I don't have children and I didn't really think about it at the time.

I suppose there is not much in the way of entertainment for children, there were no real children's activities that I noticed. On the other hand there is less "adult entertainment" in Bratislava than in Prague or other European cities so it may be good if you want to protect them from that kind of thing.
ss
hi,
we have booked 3 night there bank holiday weekend in august..

we are taking a 8 year old, do want her to be bored silly..
we have booked the Hotel Kjevnt , not paid yet but booked...

we the hotal be ok for her we wanted to be close to the centre but wanted it to be a good area to take her...

we have been to cezh and solvenia, not witha child tho and fancyed somewhere a bit different...

we have traveled to many other places in the world and never had a problem but i cant seem to find much info about this place.

if need be i will cancel the trip if its no good for a child to be coming along
There are a few things that can be done with children in Bratislava. There are a lot of outdoor swimming pools that are great in August (ask the hotle to recommend one). Also Bratislava has an extensive network of cycle paths and it is possible to hire bicycles (try the main bicycle shops in the town center or talk to the hotel). Devin Castle is an easy bus ride away (it could be easily cycled by an adult, but an eight year old might struggle) and gives great views over the Danube and into Austria. It has a small visitors center. A boat trip on the Danube is worth considering.
I've just come back from Bratislava. The Hotel Kyjev is a 70s retro delight. We stayed on the top floor in a suite for about 65£/night with free minibar. Go to the Kamzik TV tower, costs about 4£ in taxi, go up the lift at the far end of bar and get a fantastic feast with drinks for the price of harry ramsden. The restaurant revolves and you get to see all the city and surrounding country, even Austria on a nice day. Dont put your bag on the window ledge as within a minute its on the other side of the building! Check out the bar and club at top of the SNP/UFO bridge, it was shut when we arrived but has just opened and is amazing 70s commie-chic/brutalist sci-fi engineering. Go to the KGB bar, U-club (old nuclear bunker near castle nowa club, sadly rave), castle (not brilliant but view of the fabulous petrzalska housing estate is awesome. Shopping..go to Polus centre north of centre or if your flush, the Aupark just south of the SNP bridge, walk thro the lovely Sad Janka park. Local markets good, buy some strawberries from the poor old ladies stood roasting in the sun. Tesco is cheap, bought case load of booze, loads of schnapps style half litres for around 2 or 3£. Good food and cheap at ElCampo restaurant. see the Slavin Russian War memorial to get away from the scorching heat of town, and walk back checking out little bars on way down past castle. Ask at the hotel about shooting (targets with AK47s) if thats your scene, can be dear but good. Get a feed on a boat ondanube, check out tripto devin castle or even Austria for day. Try and speak a bit of Slovak, its only polite! Dakujem , Dovedenia!
Mr Smith if you haven't already done so could you write a hotel review for us http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/holiday_truths/hotel_reviews/762/Bratislava%20Hotel/

Thanks

Sarah
I would love some general advice on Bratislava please including some recommendations for a centrally located comfy hotel with breakfast that would suit a family of four, restaurants and the one must see place in the city.

I would also love to know opinions on whether 3 full days is enough to 'do' the city or would you add a further day so that a trip to Vienna could be slotted in....talking of which, best way to travel to Vienna; boat or train?

Thanks all.
The Hotel Danube is a cracking hotel if not a little expensive, whilst the Ibis is in a decent location and you always know what you get with an Ibis.
It takes about an hour on the bus to Vienna, I think its over 2 hours on the river, river one way but the other is a good option.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.