Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi,

You're extremely unlikely to find either an iron or kettle in your room unless staying at a 5* plus hotel and even then there's no guarantee of a kettle but I've never encountered problems taking a travel kettle in with me. I don't bother with a travelling iron because in my experience getting laundry done in Cuba is so cheap that I rinse through underwear and get the rest done for me. There used to be restrictions on heavy usage items but no longer.

Similarly, there are now no restrictions on things like DVD players etc but you will probably be asked to confirm that they are for personal use only and you could be asked to produce them again on departure so that you can prove that you haven't sold them on the black market. Whatever you do, don't pack in your checked-in baggage anything that you wouldn't want to lose. Thus, I pack the travel kettle in my case but the CD/MP3 player, camera, chargers etc all stay with me in the hand luggage. Please note that if you have an internal flight in Cuba, they won't let you take glass bottles through Security as hand luggage, even if in a sealed bag from Duty Free here. Though that doesn't stop them flogging you rum in glass bottles from their own Duty Free shops after security!

As for adaptors, on the whole you can expect to find that you'll need a US 2 flat pin style one for their 110V sockets but sometimes you'll find that you'll also need a European 2 round pin style one for any 220V sockets in the room. I take one of everything with me just in case - I've even encountered Russion style plugs in older hotels that cater mainly for Cubans but this is unlikely in hotels aimed at tourists! But do take care with the voltage - the standard supply in Cuba is only 110V and a lot of UK appliances won't work very well and you might need to hunt around for a 220V socket. The sockets are usually labelled as to what voltage the supply is.

SM
Hello!

We went to Brisas 2 years ago and had a wonderful holiday - weather was hot, beach really nice, food good, especially liked the seafood restaurant.
My daughter took her Nintendo to play on the plane.. and had no problems.
We did go on the little 'train' that takes you into the villages and it was a real insight. Cant remember how much it was, but was well worth whatever we paid!!
We didnt take a kettle... would have a walk along the beach in the morning - and then on the way back sat on the 'patio' near the restaurant and had a coffee.
Hope you have a lovely time :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.