Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
What kind of weirdo books return flights PURELY for the pleasure of being at an airport and flying? *points at self* This kind of weirdo! :D :rofl

It's been a few weeks since I last flew anywhere (Edinburgh in November) and I'm not flying again until my hols in Barcelona in July. I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

So, I wanted to book a super-cheap, same-day return, flight. to somewhere in the UK. Looked at various LGW routes with both EJ and BA, then decided to check European flights. Haha! Return flight to Barcelona booked for next Tuesday with BA, for just under £60! I'm not even going to leave BCN airport, it won't be worth my while, this is PURELY about me loving airports and flying :que :rofl
You'll be joining the " flyertalk gang" soon doing points runs and having a convention in the lounges as you celebrate your status :rofl

Why not pop over to Jersey , when the weather picks up that's a nice day out and 6 flights a day to there from BA and EJ do 3 flights a day too , I think I might do similar to what you're doing sounds an ideal way to spend a day off , I need to relax a bit more too ;)
andy66 wrote:
You'll be joining the " flyertalk gang" soon doing points runs and having a convention in the lounges as you celebrate your status :rofl

Why not pop over to Jersey , when the weather picks up that's a nice day out and 6 flights a day to there from BA and EJ do 3 flights a day too , I think I might do similar to what you're doing sounds an ideal way to spend a day off , I need to relax a bit more too ;)

I'm one step ahead of you, I was only saying a couple of weeks ago I'd like to fly to Jersey for lunch!

My friends think I'm nuts, flying to Barcelona and not seeing the city. They just don't get it, I don't want to go and sightsee somewhere, I want to fly somewhere! :tup

Plenty of time for the city when I'm there in July.

I'm flying out at 09.55 and back at 20.00, so plenty of time to check out T1 (I've only ever arrived there, not departed) and just generally bum around and soak up the airport atmosphere! I've chosen my seats for both flights, just hope I'm in-line with a window :)
Anothrr good lunch hop is dublin. Just make sure you have joined the exec club pippy,
nivsy wrote:
Anothrr good lunch hop is dublin. Just make sure you have joined the exec club pippy,

Yes! I finally remembered to join a few weeks ago :tup

I do like Dublin, having been there a few times. Do BA fly there from Gatwick? I'm so close to Gatwick, just a 40 minute drive, it's not worth me flying from anywhere else.
Does having an Executive Club account mean I also have an Avios account? Or do I need to create a separate Avios account?
You don't need to create a separate AVIOS account unless you want too , but if in the BAEC , when you book flights you have your acc number on the booking , the BAEC then collects all your flight info and lists the AVIOS and tier points you have earned , the tier points are reset to zero each year ,the AVIOS don't expire as long as you have some activity ( would have to check rules on this )
AVIOS replaced air miles and you can just have an AVIOS acc without even joining the BAEC , AVIOS can be used for other things than just BA flights
I'm thinking of things such as parking, hotels (I use ibis a LOT and see I can convert my Accor points to Avios) etc. So for that, I'd presumably need an Avios account in its own right but could use any collected points towards flights, upgrades etc?
I have an Accor account too well a sofitel card and just select on that account to convert into AVIOS to my frequent flyer scheme the BAEC , I'm never going to earn enough hotel points to get free nights etc , but I join any loyalty scheme and convert them all to AVIOS , tesco points , Shangri la , etc , most hotel schemes allow you to convert to flyer schemes ( although not always at attractive conversion rates ) , but having points here and there adds up to nothing but putting them in one pot does add up and help you get a decent prize ;)
All collected points can be used for reward flights or upgrades subject to availability , I think I get a good deal from the scheme .
You can have a separate AVIOS account and then " send" your points onto BAEC , I think it would be good to read a bit on places like head for points and the like to do what best suits your circumstances and is least complicated !
As Andy says, you can convert hotel accor/ibis into avios. Depends on own usage. Personally what I collect with accor I prefer for a free night as it is a value for me especially at some of the more expensive hotels. Depends how often you stay. Presently I have over 6000 accor points and have redeemed a couple of times. Tier point collection with BA and longer routes mean greater chance of progression so don't necessarily throw all ur eggs into numerous short haul.
.......and dont forget even using the basic British Airways Amex Card (at no cost ) can help mount up those avios for your usual outgoings - including paying for all these Easy jet flights you take! :)

naturally - "other credit cards are available and Nivsy does not necsassarily totally endorse the use of BA related product(s) only"

;)
I like your disclaimer NIvsy :rofl Everyone's circumstances are different and you can only make choices that suit you , but I have the BA Amex card , I have the premium plus card which carries a £150 fee per year , I doubt that would be most people's choice but I took a view of how many holidays I book a year and how much I spent on them and decided that I would choose BA flights every holiday , sometimes I book accommodation through them but not always .
I've used other airlines in the past mainly easyjet , thomson and emirates in recent years and happy with all ,but using BA every time now suits my total holiday needs , I manage to achieve silver status each year , which has good benefits ( double points on flights and choosing free seat on booking ) with putting our weekly shopping spend through the Amex card and flight holiday purchases too I gain enough AVIOS to afford an upgrade , for example purchase WTP and u/g to CW and points to also go with my reward companion voucher to get a flight in First once a year .
To get the companion voucher I need a yearly spend of 10k on the card ( £100 per week at tesco gets you halfway there ) , I.m happy to pay the equivalent of £3 a week to have this card which gives me reasonable benefits in return .
I have a hilton Visa card to use at places that don't accept Amex , but generally the Amex card is for tesco shopping and travel / hotel payments .
I do online accounts with both cards and generally clear balances every month , so no interest payments .

I've worked out a system that works for me , but realise that others have other constraints , but I would never have done something like this , say 3 years ago , but looking into this has made me view things from a different perspective and I saw how I could benefit and it suited me and I'm always looking at how I can get more for my money .
I'd love to fly BA when I go on my holiday. But I don't live near Gatwick so I have to go on good old Ryanair or Flybe from EMA. Actually Ryanair have improved recently, we were treated quite well last time I flew!

You would think British Airways would change their name to London Airways.
That's what I mean by others having constraints , luckily I Iive 30 mins from LGW and about I hour from LHR , so have more choice than just yourself and local airport .
Agree with your other points , I've read elsewhere that Ryanair have improved , as the CEO now realises customers are Important rather than an inconvenience
London Airways , fair point ;) would be better if more links were provided into this country's major hub .
Like you Andy, also maintain silver each year and also have the amex premium and sitting on 2 vouchers presently one will be used to Chennai and still to decide on the other.also agree the 150 pounds cost is worthy as long as circumstance allows to take maximum benefit.
The vouchers are a nice little thank you for loyalty , if using them long haul you can travel in real comfort at a great price , there's no way I would be able to afford the normal price , even my short haul trips work out reasonably priced , even if the fare is cheaper once you've factored in luggage cost , seat selection , or ELR seats and lounge cost the " cheaper " airlines cost more , I know you don't have to purchase the extras , but I do like to take a case of clothes for a weeks holiday :sun2
Enjoy your Chennai flight ( another idea of a place I could visit) :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.